Modernized Skid Racing

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Some of you all may be familiar with the sport that Saber featured on his YouTube channel a while back - Skid Racing. Those of you who remember it may also remember that it was totally killed off when thruster mechanics were changed away from the One Thrust Per Block mechanic we had back in the old days, in favor of the higher thrust per block and diminishing returns system we have now.

I did some testing and found a slightly harder to control, slightly "crazier" method of getting around this problem.

Skid Regulations

• Mass Restriction: 4.7-5.3 mass
    • One Push Effect Module attached to a Push Effect Computer, for thrust.
    • It's also permissible to have One Pull Effect Module attached to one Pull Effect Computer for braking and reverse, although not necessary
    • All other blocks are Cosmetics, Power Generation, and Logic/Rails.
    • "Trickery" involving rail based flippers and other such shenanigans is permissible, as you have to be one hell of a driver to use them effectively, and most are relatively easily countered.
    • Skids must be under 5 meters wide and 11 meters long when all logic devices are turned Off. This is for the sake of keeping starting positions compact. Large Start type tracks may permit skids above this size - 5 x 11 is simply the regulation area

Rough Racing (racing with GUNS)
    • Basic Hulls Only - No standard, advanced, crystal, blast doors, forcefields, etc. No faction modules, either, for that matter.
    • Weapons may include: Various Cannon and Beam masters, and Missile-Cannon. Other missiles are disallowed for reasons of Fun, as they can one-shot-kill cars easily.
    • Maximum number of total Weapon Modules is: 4
    • Only Effect Modules allowed on weapons are Push, Pull, and Stop.

Track Regulations

• Tracks may be built on Planet Plates, as tracks require ship gravity to function.
    • Tracks not including planets must be built using a planet-based base object, IE: The Track Base.
    I personally recommend maintaining a track width of 13 meters wide minimum, to allow most skids to comfortably pass one another.

Track base located here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ljbf04bfu46ocbe/CustomPlanet.smsec

Track base must be placed in StarMade/sector-export.
    Use the command, /import_sector, to import the track base. It is not a blueprint.

When your track is complete, use the command, /export_sector, to export your track to StarMade/sector-export.

I recommend using an alternate universe for working on tracks and such in case bad things happen to your universe.

Media

Last edited:

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Enter team Orange!

The line up is as follows from left to right:
    1. Beluam weighs in at 5.3 mass and features a dropable 'tombstone' after which it weighs in at 4.7 mass.
    2. Ciconia also weighing in at 5.3 mass mounts 3 small mini-tombstone that can be dropped in sequence.
    3. Aratrum weighs 5.2 mass and mounts a pair of forks on the front for flipping other cars.
    4. Obice is the lightest at 4.7 mass and features a pair of extending 'arms' that prevent it from being overtaken by other racers.
    I'll see you all on the track.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The starting position is now completed:

Last edited:

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I'm glad to see there's still interest in this! I was actually able to maintain the proper ratio of one thruster racers by bringing the mass up to around 7.5, but I'm curious how it would run with just push/pull modules. If any of you are interested I could try and get my most recent in-progress race world onto Shattered Skies if you'd like to finish building it. My interest in racing never went away, I just didn't have the time to dedicate to finishing the track, but I could help run the events if it were done. :) I also need to be sure I do have the actual sector export as well.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing more in the future!

Reaction score
    A fun tradition , but I'm concerned about the size of the tracks and how far planet gravity extends - it takes a flick up to throw your vehicle out of it , and fly off the track. It would take lots of checkpoints to counter that.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    A fun tradition , but I'm concerned about the size of the tracks and how far planet gravity extends - it takes a flick up to throw your vehicle out of it , and fly off the track. It would take lots of checkpoints to counter that.

I've done some pretty extensive testing. With the sizes permitted, it's really, really hard to go into orbit.

Planet gravity extends as far upwards as the planet itself does. If you need gravity to go further, all you have to do is build a tower upwards.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Introducing the NiteLite series of skid racers.

Above pictured is the base NiteLite, only equipped with push and pull systems.

The other three versions are shown here.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Trident's prototype racer is ready (standard only)

5.2 mass and features sloped front to bounce racers off track.

Reactions: CyberTao

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ladies and gentlemen, I regret to inform you that from here on out the competition is for second place.

PRESENTING: THE SYPHILIS SCOOTER!

Racing stripes make everything better, so we used the cheapest cans of orange paint available to ensure that ours has PLENTY of racing stripe!

Nine out of ten scientists agree that bigger spoilers mean more speed! The other one has a degree, but we're sure he doesn't know what he's talking about.

And it comes equipped with custom license plate, designed to strike FEAR into the hearts of the rest of the racers, who will be behind you as you SPEED TO VICTORY!

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    I tried to make some too, but they aren't as pretty as yours (too many system blocks :( ).
    starmade-screenshot-0005-nq8.png
    Each version of my Mistral have a 4:4 beam/push weapon on a docked part placed on the rear, and yes, it pushes the main ship (it might be cheating though).
    The OXS00c-Mistral-S on the left and OXS00b-Mistral-S on the right are pretty similar (7x3x5 5.3 mass, only the armor on the rear differs). The "push drive" can be toggled with an inner remote (+clock), the "beam boost" is activated with a button.
    The OXS-00a-Mistral (9x3x5 5.3 mass) on the bottom, toggles the beam boost instead of just activating it once with an inner remote (+clock) and can rotate the rear (-45°, 0°, +45°) to allow the main ship to be pushed sideways. Although it isn't extremely effective because of the inertia of the ship.

The beam boost can't be turned on indefinitely though, only during a few dozens seconds (thanks to the 100 000 energy storage of each ship)

Edit: if i understood well his message on the chat, Azereiah will forbid such an use of push weapons so they aren't legal, i'll have to redo them :p

Last edited:

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10

With time, I have built a new, improved racer that actually looks half-decent! Enter Trident's newest racer, Billy the Bison.

Reactions: Top 4ce

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just some pics from the NFD server yesterday.

We had some really great races :)

The variety and creativity of the different racerdesigns is just awesome!

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    hmmm
    New rule maybe?
    NO damn beacons

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The beginnings of Trident Raceways.

This is the starting area, with full logic operated lights and auto-retracting barriers. Oh, and seating for quite a few people :) Still heavy WIP though.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Anyone know if CyberTaos track (-12 -12 -12) and my track (-12 -12 -14) are still on NFD? According to nauv he was on the server and couldn't find either of them.