Mod request: 3d model importer for starmade ships

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hello,
    This is a request for someone in the community to make a 3d model importer aka voxelizer for ships that takes the pros from all the methods below and does not carry the cons.

Here's the current ones out there:

Poly2vox method: 3D model importing guide: Faster, Better, (Stronger?)
    Can't import more than 2048x2048x256 due to no converter from kv6>schematic or starmade blueprint that doesnt have these dimension limitations. Also poly2vox has hard limit of 4096x4096x4096 import method. This method is very fast though and can import colours. Import quality very good, and very very fast to import. Took 5 only minutes to voxelize a 4000 metre long ship in poly2vox (though wasnt converted to starmade blueprint). No signs of hardware limitations, ie my ram wasnt maxing out nor my cpu.

SMedit: SMEdit SMedit's voxelizer has as far as I know no limit. At about 6000 metres long ship imports I cannot do any more imports without crashing (16gb ram, i7 6700k), possibly due to hardware limitations. Quality of import is terrible though and does not support colour import.

SMBedit: SMBEdit SMBedit has much bigger max dimension compared to the poly2vox method, but still limited to 5000x5000x5000. It takes a really long time to import massive ships though, much longer than SMEdit or Poly2vox. I am not sure how its coded but I have never crashed from importing a really big model. Maybe its using hard disk space instead of ram to do the operation, as what takes maybe 5 minutes in smedit or poly2vox takes 1 hour in smbedit . Import quality is on par with Poly2vox, however artifacts do occur that do not exist in SMedit or poly2vox. Surfaces sometimes go too far, however they are easily edited off in game without making the model look different from Poly2vox. SMBedit does not support colour imports like Poly2vox.

Binvox method: SmEdit Binvox Quality on par with poly2vox without artifacts like SMBedit. Importing is however heavily limited by ram and takes a while. A ship I managed to import in SMBedit that was 3820 metres long was unable to be imported with the binvox method. When I tried to do it in binvox it said I needed 55 gigabytes of ram. Does not support colour import. Hard limit of 4096x4096x4096

Conclusion: We need an importer with the quality, performance, speed and colour import ability of the poly2vox method combined with unlimited dimensions like smedit.

Last edited:

Zerefette

<|°_°|>
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Depends on project, but can be very useful. Zerefette utelizes poly2vox's colour tool very extensively
    I feel quoted, exporting colors can help in determining surfaces easily.
    We need a inbuilt importer with colors, I know that Schema does not like this but people like it.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    Hello,
    This is a request for someone in the community to make a 3d model importer aka voxelizer for ships that takes the pros from all the methods below and does not carry the cons.

Here's the current ones out there:

Poly2vox method: 3D model importing guide: Faster, Better, (Stronger?)
    Can't import more than 2048x2048x256 due to no converter from kv6>schematic or starmade blueprint that doesnt have these dimension limitations. Also poly2vox has hard limit of 4096x4096x4096 import method. This method is very fast though and can import colours. Import quality very good, and very very fast to import. Took 5 only minutes to voxelize a 4000 metre long ship in poly2vox (though wasnt converted to starmade blueprint). No signs of hardware limitations, ie my ram wasnt maxing out nor my cpu.

SMedit: SMEdit SMedit's voxelizer has as far as I know no limit. At about 6000 metres long ship imports I cannot do any more imports without crashing (16gb ram, i7 6700k), possibly due to hardware limitations. Quality of import is terrible though and does not support colour import.

SMBedit: SMBEdit SMBedit has much bigger max dimension compared to the poly2vox method, but still limited to 5000x5000x5000. It takes a really long time to import massive ships though, much longer than SMEdit or Poly2vox. I am not sure how its coded but I have never crashed from importing a really big model. Maybe its using hard disk space instead of ram to do the operation, as what takes maybe 5 minutes in smedit or poly2vox takes 1 hour in smbedit . Import quality is on par with Poly2vox, however artifacts do occur that do not exist in SMedit or poly2vox. Surfaces sometimes go too far, however they are easily edited off in game without making the model look different from Poly2vox. SMBedit does not support colour imports like Poly2vox.

Binvox method: SmEdit Binvox Quality on par with poly2vox without artifacts like SMBedit. Importing is however heavily limited by ram and takes a while. A ship I managed to import in SMBedit that was 3820 metres long was unable to be imported with the binvox method. When I tried to do it in binvox it said I needed 55 gigabytes of ram. Does not support colour import. Hard limit of 4096x4096x4096

Conclusion: We need an importer with the quality, performance, speed and colour import ability of the poly2vox method combined with unlimited dimensions like smedit.
    Although it isn't an answer to your request, Vox2sm3 (2016) should be on your list as one of the tools that does this also.
    The quality and speed are good, but there's no colour control, and length is limited to 1500.

.obj file ---> [Binvox app] ---> .binvox file ---> [Vox2sm3 app] ---> ship/folder ready to be pasted into your SM ship directory

A slightly unrelated point that people reading this thread may be interested in: SMBEdit has an auto-wedging feature, and allows core relocation, and block type replacement.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Although it isn't an answer to your request, Vox2sm3 (2016) should be on your list as one of the tools that does this also.
    The quality and speed are good, but there's no colour control, and length is limited to 1500.

.obj file ---> [Binvox app] ---> .binvox file ---> [Vox2sm3 app] ---> ship/folder ready to be pasted into your SM ship directory

A slightly unrelated point that people reading this thread may be interested in: SMBEdit has an auto-wedging feature, and allows core relocation, and block type replacement.
    Reason I didn't add it was because I already listed the binvox method, its the same "voxelization process" since both use binvox. Its just another way to read vox files. Smedit can do the exact same thing, import quality is identical.

I am aware that smbedit has an auto wedging feature. It can be very useful but has drawbacks. The problem is the that algorithm replaces hull blocks with wedges/tetras etc rather than adding them. This causes holes to appear in the ship at odd angles like corners. It ought to simply add the wedges on to the hull or at least have the option to do so. Smedit did this.

Reaction score
    Reason I didn't add it was because I already listed the binvox method, its the same "voxelization process" since both use binvox. Its just another way to read vox files. Smedit can do the exact same thing, import quality is identical.
    SMedit is very hard, if not impossible, to get running with an up to date install these days, so Vox2sm3 is a good tool to have/know about for anyone using that process. Just thought it would be useful info for anyone looking at this thread for what to use.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    SMedit is very hard, if not impossible, to get running with an up to date install these days, so Vox2sm3 is a good tool to have/know about for anyone using that process. Just thought it would be useful info for anyone looking at this thread for what to use.
    Oh ok, never realised, has always worked for me.