Maturity

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Blame the infamous 12y/o CoD community for the immaturity stereotypes.

Reaction score
    I am 13 and i dont get called noob or anytihng advertantly rude but i did find a really good group of people to play with on the the Tethys. But to the point. DONT LIE if i found you lied to me aobur your age i would just think your a stupid 12 year-old (even though im only a year older loll) just dont make it obvious and if anyone asks what of it?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Are actually two very different things dispite their meanings when you search it up on the dictionary, and in this post I will be looking at maturity from a psychological point of view. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maturity_(psychological) Someone who has aged (although likely) may not nessasaraly be mature, and yet some one who is still in their youth may not nessasaraly behave in an immaturely.

Believe me or not, im only 14 this year, 13 during the time when i was leading the Calderon Republic (one of the largest, most established factions in starmade of its time) bet most of you though I was older then I actually am ;) not only that, but during my time in EVE Online I have offten been mistaken by my pears as a 30 year old man with a family and kids when in fact I still have a couple years of school ahead of me, after which I started a 40 member corporation named State Industries which still exist till this day.

The point is not all of us in our early teenage years are on the same level of maturity as those brats you meet in CoD and trust me when I say not all adults behave the way they should, although understandably it is a video game and people sometimes just want to let go and have fun, but age alone should never be used to judge a person\'s level of maturity, but rather by their actions and behavior.

To answer your post, dont revel your age, if the faction you want to join asks for it just give them a fake age. After that, start proving yourself by accomplishing goals and earning respect from the people around you, your enemies too if possible. The one and only thing you should NEVER EVER do is brag for the sake of attention or to showcase your \"power\". Its fine if its amoungh allies and you do it in a jovial manner, but never do it in hopes of making others respect you or bow down to you as their god, it will only backfire. Also be very careful of your choice of words when you type, always make sure they never sound arrogant or boastful, even when trash-talking, try not to be too childish, learn to insult better :P

This are just some of my personal experiances and oppinions that I have gathered throughout the early stages of my life, and although as some of you veterans might have withnessed, occasionally I do breach some of my own \" Social Protocols \" as I like to call it, but this is my ussual beheviour and together with my impatience to achieve progress has so far It has gotten me to many leadership roles in both real life and online. Dont let others call you a noob just because you are young, prove them wrong by achieveing things that they could only dream and they, regardless if they want to admit it or not, will respect you.

- TwoNiner

Reaction score
    Kinda sounds like you were trying too hard on this. When reading, it felt very robotic, like you read and reread to make sure it was perfect so no one could nit-pick it.

My personal experience, Ive not met a 12-year-old kid in person that I didn\'t want to strangle at some point. Sure, not all are bad, but the simple fact of the matter is, no 12-year-old is on the same mental playingfield as someone in their 20s. Its not just about the connotation of whining bitchy little kids, but also having to restrain yourself for the sake of the child. If I want to say \"fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuckers\", then I don\'t want any little kids around when I do, or I dont want the fact that there is a kid around liming my ability to say things.

I am almost twice your age. No 12-year-old has the same experience level and understanding of the world. I have a daughter, and that just puts me in an even higher ring. So for me to see a little kid say they are mature and should be taken serously, I literally can not help myself but to laugh, because nothing coming from someone who has no life experience has any weight on anything. Im sorry, but that is just a fact of life.

I would quote Louis CK on just this if I could find his bit on this matter. But alas I can not find it.

Call me a hater or whatever, but really, if you think yourself so mature, then understand what I am saying. Im sure you are a nice kid, but you are NOT in any way, on the same metntal level as myself, or anyone who is 2 times your age.

Reaction score
    Funny because the term \"noob\" has nothing to do with age on the internet, and everything to do with a person simply being \"new\" at whatever game/endeavour they\'re doing. \"Mature\" players know this. It doesn\'t matter how old a person is. It does matter how old they act. I know older gamers that act like spoiled 10 year olds. I also knew 14 and 15 year olds that ran clans/guilds/fleets and were awesome. Age is just a number.

As a side note, the easiest way to tell a \"kid\" is playing? They add a bunch of numbers to a name.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Newbe = A new player.

Noob = Somebody who is not new anymore, but still don\'t know the basics. Someone who can\'t learn.

Retard = Somebody who is mentally retarded has less potential as other peoples and behave like a child while he is already 30 (or more) years old.

I don\'t like that peoples interchange the words newbe and noob.

I think a 12 years old child can have the same maturity as a 25 years old in one topic, but not in general. (Or rather the 25 years old has less than a 12 years old as you can\'t be similar advanced with your experience in all topics)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The internet is simply the internet, a place with little to no rules, and everyone is welcome even though others don\'t welcome but they have to deal with it. Someone, like you and I, at young ages can have people assume what really we are like. No, assumptions are only guesses. It\'s just like a book. You can\'t judge it by its cover. Well, the same is with a person. You can\'t judge a person by their looks, age, etc. You judge someone by their actions.

(Besides, I run a successful faction with people older than me in it, and I\'m only 14.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    \"you cant judge a person by his looks, age ect.\" The human mind makes a subconcious judgement in a few seconds, i cant remeber the exact time. On the internet, there is no face and no expression to judge, so people judge on what is presented to them, your name, what your typing, and your picture.

Reaction score
    engineering related, science related

You just said that I shouldn\'t talk about some of my favorite things... i\'m only X-Teen (no specifics, I\'m on the internet) I honestly enjoy talking about Science, and Programming, and even Engineering, I feel I have an adequate knowledge base to speak comfortably about the topics, and be able to follow along without much confusion, and even if I don\'t understand something they say, I just leave it out of my conversation, and research it later, Refire is only correct, if you don\'t have any knowledge of the mentioned topics, honestly, to not speak about Programming would be like not speak at all to me, Maturity is not measured in years, you could be 80 years old, and be completely Immature (in fact some of the oldest people I know are some of the most childish people I know), or you can be 8, and be quite mature (it helps to Read alot of books, and have Wikipedia bookmarked), but the internet\'s biggest assumption is, \"If you

Reaction score
    Well thank you for your comment. it really is helping the discussion on how the younger players can become better. (cough) Sarcasm (cough)

Reaction score
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb4eokdzuBk

The Worst Starcraft General

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    oh about the names and numbers

names that aren\'t very unique or contain number strings, or have x\'s framing the beginning and ending are somewhat regarded by me as signs of not yet mature people trying to make their names \"cool\"

thinking back though, when i was 12, my username was fyfryfft. it\'s almost 10 years since then, and i\'ve been through \"Hydruru\" \"Basilora\" \"2WDrifter\" \"XMDrifter\" \"RetfirDMX-Retfir-RedFire-Redfear-refirendum\" to give examples of my past online usernames. thankfully it seems your username doesn\'t have the problem with overused words/formatting, but it does have 4 numbers in the back...

Reaction score
    this what my frist handle on the internet

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Everytime I see you posting, I always think \"Now we get a post criticism\".

And then I think \"Why is this picture your choice?\"

After that, I see your user-name and think \"It is a group of people in an organisation called \'refirendum\', or not?\".

One minute later, I see your text (the text before the annoying subject line, which makes everybody look like repeating themselves).

I try to not judge by image or name, but sometimes I find myself rather posting for/after peoples with beautiful pictures like Planr.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I did go through: \"Nick\", \"Nickname\", \"frameworld\", \"NeonStorm\", \"NeonSturm\" or some temporary silly alias to have some fun for some time.

Sometimes, I had very silly names, mostly to tease my brother :)

Sometimes I have \"NickPirate\", \"NickThief\", etc for the case somebody already took my nick and I was angry about peoples not having fantasy and taking nicks of others.

I took NeonStorm, because

• I like NeonColors
    • listened to \"LightStorm\" by \"T3RR0R 3RR0R\" on YouTube
    • neo=new (I had it 2 years after I got my first internet connection)
    • storm my fav char in X-Men, ... many reasons.
    • Also my thoughts sometimes are very confusing to others or complex - like a brain-storm.

I think this name fits me. storm/Sturm, because it indicates that I am not english though it is recogniceable for english speaking peoples.

I hope it also remains unique with Neon as prefix and combined with Sturm being not-english, not-common.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    As someone twice my age, without a doubt you would have accumulated more experiance in life then I do, more responsibilities and lead a much more work intensive life, but to dismiss someone as inferior or a fool just because of their age shows how much you have yet to understand. Example, assuming that I am a 14 year old who speaks Chinese, does that mean you can speak Chinese better then I do just because you have lived twice as long as I have? We all live our lives differently, and that means we all have our own experiances, you can\'t put yourself on top of others just because you\'ve lived longer then they have, the same way I can\'t say I\'m better then you just cuz I speak Chinese and you don\'t, because you probably never even learnt the language. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and we should all respect each other regardless of age, and although most youngsters you\'ve encountered were immature doesn\'t mean all of us are. I sincerely hope you would at least give a person a chance before judging him\\her, and also remember that you have to give respect inorder to earn it, laughing at people isnt going to gain the respect you are due.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The username I have on these forums is often taken, which irritates me :(

I chose it for many reasons. The first part should be fairly self explanatory, but the second side has many reasons to it.

And when it comes to age on the internet, steathinator, just don\'t reveal it. I made that mistake once, but luckily it was with a decent(ish) community, and I got the replies of \"Really!?! You\'re only [Insert two-digit number here]?!!?\" That was some time ago, however.

But it is particularly annpying when people talk to you like a child, just because of your age. But then again, it can be fun to start discussing quantum physics with a teacher who has just spoken to you like you are 5.

Reaction score
    Ones aptitude in a language has nothing to do here. Maturity is an argument of wisdom, not intelect. Knowing chinese is a skill, not a life lesson.

I give all people a chance, more often then I should, but again, a 12 or 14 year old hasnt had enough life experience to offer me anything. We are not on the same maturity level in any sense of the word. You may be on the higher end of the teenage spectrum, but you are still on the lower end of the adult spectrum simply because you haven\'t lived long enough to REALLY understand life and the world at the same level as I, just as I am not on the same level as my father.

I was your age once. I used to think as you do now. Trust me, you will look back at yourself in 10 years and laugh. If you don\'t, well, then you probably havent grown as a person enough to see your own change.