Manually Adding NPC capabilities to Worlds

Reaction score
    I have been testing NPC stuff extensively after the update hit and have found out that You can manually add NPC functionality to old worlds without having the game do the conversion for you. I added NPCs to an old world I pulled from an old install (I mean old, probably at least a year or so). Here's how I did it...

1. Open the world to be converted in a file explorer (go to starmade/server-database and pick a world that has not been converted).
    2. Open a world that has been converted in file explorer in a second window(go to starmade/server-database in a freshly updated install, pick a world).
    3. Copy the npcFactions folder from the updated world folder into the old world folder.
    4. Move the old world folder to the updated starmade/server-databese folder (rename if necessary)
    5. Start SM, pick old world from world list, and press play.
    6. The game should skip the NPC conversion completely, and you should now have the default NPC factions in game (check by going to Faction -> NPC Diplomacy menu, if you see Outcasts Scavengers and Traders there everything is fine).

Reaction score
    • Tester
    that is more or less what the game does on the conversion... it copies the required files to the universe and sets up the spawn of the factions.
    not sure if by doing it manually you are screwwing up the faction spawn part however (i doubt it)

Reaction score
    At least when I tested it, the game just skipped the automatic conversion, and nothing else was affected. When I logged in I could see Traders flitting about with their miner fleets. I tried adding custom NPC factions with the admin commands and it worked without a hitch.

The reason I wanted to test this is that the server I'm playing on has difficulties implementing NPC Factions (as in default NPC factions are not in-game, and trying to add custom NPC factions gives out a java error) and it might be easier to try and fix this by manually adding the pertinent files in the world, than to start a new world and require all players to start from scratch again. The server was reset just a month ago due to server files getting corrupted, and many players lost everything they had, and we'd rather not lose that much progress again...

Reaction score
    • Tester
    yes .. known problem ... and copying the stuff manually is the solution for that.
    the description for that is to copy the default files .. not those from a working universe ... but i think they are the same.

its this bug ⚓ T2108 NPC Assets fail to copy into world

what OS is the server running ?

Reaction score
    The server is Brierie's Starmade Server.

It's not my server, so I don't have access to the server files or know what kind of hardware it has, but my friend is an Admin on the server and can get in touch with the server owner, to at least point him in the right direction.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ive tried this but we still dont have the npc factions showing in the menu, having said that it must of converted fine because we did have the npcfaction folder beforehand

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    [doublepost=1482335384,1482335340][/doublepost]
    yes .. known problem ... and copying the stuff manually is the solution for that.
    the description for that is to copy the default files .. not those from a working universe ... but i think they are the same.

its this bug ⚓ T2108 NPC Assets fail to copy into world

what OS is the server running ?
    We have it fixed now smiling demon. Thanks for your insight and help.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    OmegaGame i did ask about the used OS to identify if a specific version or type of install is affected only. so far i have seen debian being affected and on Ubuntu 16.04 (my own did work fine however)