Make jump drive percentage affect not just jump recharge speed, but also jump range.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    A lot of people are unhappy with the current jump system. The fact that a single module can give you the same range of jump as can ten percent of one's hull results in most people building a jump drive with solely that single jump module. They then complain about how long it takes to recharge.

Then along comes the chaindrive to eliminate the waiting time. Chaindrive however is clearly a massive exploit that causes all manner of lag problems for servers. Chain drives need to go somehow, but something does need to change to get people to stop limiting themselves to one module jump drives.

The problem is that going from one solitary module to ten percent of your ship solely to get a reasonable recharge rate is not worth the cost to most players. And so we get chaindrives and proposals to wholesale reinvent the jump system. I propose something much simpler.

As a jump drive's ship percentage increases, as it's recharge rate decreases, so too should it's jump range increase. A one module jump system should retain it's current stats, eight sectors distance with a 40 second recharge rate. A jump system with ten percent of the ship's mass recharges in ten seconds, four times faster. It should also jump four times further!

This would so radically transform the incentive to build bigger jump drives that I expect one module systems to virtually disappear. I do not see it as being imbalancing, as the only thing that would be lost is lots and lots of downtime with players holding down the recharge key for minutes on end just to get places.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I too would really like to see jump drives revamped.

Problem I see with it currently is that I would want charge rate and distance to not be paired. Its too much of a win/win to max out your drive then.

I think what I'd like to see explored is the idea of being able to slave Overdrive to the jump computer, and have the overdrive percentage dictate an increase in jump range.

6x the charge power for a 3x boost in jump range at 100% I think I could live with that for a fully dedicated drive. Would give lots of experimental wiggle room to figure out what exactly the sweet spot would be for energy efficient charging vs. distance.

But that still doesn't really address the issues with 1 block drives, other than just making them 2 block drives.

Last edited:

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What is with this concept:

Your jumpdrive has two modes, short range travel and long range travel.
    In short range mode you can freely jump inside the 8 sector radius
    and in long range mode you need some kind of physical anchor point (a warpgate or jump beacon, maybe large ships with special systems).
    The size of the jumpdrive demand how fast you can charge the short range jump and how far you can jump with a long range jump.

Reaction score
    I think it should only increase range or recharge, not both.

I thought range would be preferable, but when I stared a thread asking about it, I got some great explanations on why recharge is better, and changed my mind.

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    What is with this concept:

Your jumpdrive has two modes, short range travel and long range travel.
    In short range mode you can freely jump inside the 8 sector radius
    and in long range mode you need some kind of physical anchor point (a warpgate or jump beacon, maybe large ships with special systems).
    The size of the jumpdrive demand how fast you can charge the short range jump and how far you can jump with a long range jump.
    Ain't that just a movable warp gate?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How much server strain will a new star made dimension add? Babylon 5, star wars, warhammer 40k, and other sci fi all have "inter dimensional transit" where they cut through space via a short cut dimension.

Perhaps that is what star made needs, it's own version of the minecraft neither where we cut through it to go to the end of the universe.

The problems i can see would be how to exit it without entering a star on the other side. The programing solution i can think of, is that they should have an "inverse star" in the star neither that correlates to where a star in real space is.

Reaction score
    The problem is that going from one solitary module to ten percent of your ship solely to get a reasonable recharge rate is not worth the cost to most players. And so we get chaindrives and proposals to wholesale reinvent the jump system. I propose something much simpler.

As a jump drive's ship percentage increases, as it's recharge rate decreases, so too should it's jump range increase. A one module jump system should retain it's current stats, eight sectors distance with a 40 second recharge rate. A jump system with ten percent of the ship's mass recharges in ten seconds, four times faster. It should also jump four times further!
    I quite agree, and I'm even one of the crazies that was installing 10 or so of those single-module jump drives, (usually alongside one large anti-interdiction drive) before chaindrives. I'd just charge them while running a logic-miner, or while tranisting through a warp-gate network. (or, basically, anything but combat.)

Then came chain-drives, and for all that I don't grok how to build it, I can certainly use it. (and I still keep the other drives, because the chain-drive I like is a touchy little snot)

This would so radically transform the incentive to build bigger jump drives that I expect one module systems to virtually disappear. I do not see it as being imbalancing, as the only thing that would be lost is lots and lots of downtime with players holding down the recharge key for minutes on end just to get places.
    I've never really understood why the jump-drives didn't either go farther, or hold more jumps as they got bigger. (the real why, not the coding why)

I'm all for them going farther, tying it to how big the system is? All the better.

Reactions: Panpiper
    Reaction score
    I think it would be interesting to allow slaves on the jump drive. Say, slave Push for a longer jump, pull for a faster recharge, and stop to add some resistance to interdiction?