Why do jump modules increase recharge instead of range?

Reaction score
    I assume there's a good reason for adding jump modules making recharge time drop instead of increasing jump distance, but I'm ignorant on the topic.

Why is it this way? Would increasing jump range instead be problematic?

I can see some positives: chain jumping would become (virtually) obsolete, which would please the people who dislike it (I'm not one of these people). As a result, long trips would also require far fewer sectors to be loaded from the server.

Reaction score
    I assume there's a good reason for adding jump modules making recharge time drop instead of increasing jump distance, but I'm ignorant on the topic.

I can see some positives: chain jumping would become (virtually) obsolete, which would please the people who dislike it (I'm not one of these people). As a result, long trips would also require far fewer sectors to be loaded from the server.
    It's an either or thing. Either could work, having the distance one would make people have chain drives anyway(and mass drives) on big ships you would need logic drives if you couldn't make it faster.

Really, to make this better, we could have a jump charger and jump cap modules, and although the jump computer would have a base amount of storage anyway(like a core, for ease of noobs) all current drive systems would work. Balancing though :eek:

Reaction score
    Making it take a long time to travel from one side of a galaxy to the other helps create the impression of the vastness of space, and allows people to deliberately set-up in harder to reach locations.

On the server we play on clock-jumper-ships are liable to be confiscated by admin for creating lag, so there's no way to cheat around the size of space.

I would like to be able to connect overdrives to jump-drives as a sub-system for a 50% increase in range though. It wouldn't feel cheaty, as the ship would have to be built specifically with the larger jump drive system in mind. Plus - as mentioned - a 50% range boost would reduce lag because less sectors would have to be loaded.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5

There isn't an established reason for this, as far as I know. This is how Schema implemented the system (if he had a particular reason, it has not been stated, that I'm aware of), and since nobody has yelled enough to merit changing it, it has not.

Increasing jump range would certainly prove beneficial to servers; without a significant buff to warpgates, though, it might drive them even further into obsolescence.

Another concern I have is that, without an inhibitor update to include the widely-desired "jump interupting" feature (if a jump path intersects an inhibited sector, the jumping ship is dropped in or adjacent to that sector), increasing jump ranges would further lower the odds of successful jump chases, piracy, and similar (although I admit that this may already be moot, since server populations are low enough that the rate at which such interactions occur is negligible).

Chain drives will remain in use until there is a reason not to use them, and this change would not be such a reason (it is highly unlikely that it would make chain drives significantly less effective (let alone at all), in terms of speed per block, than large jump drives).

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The one problem I see with increasing range versus increasing recharge is different players would all have different jump ranges, and end up loading more sectors into active memory by being in different sectors at the same time.

Reaction score
    The main reason from what I can gather is jump drives are meant to be a (relatively) short distance hop, whilst longer distance FTL travel will be using hyperdrives, which may be capital related?

Reaction score
    Making it take a long time to travel from one side of a galaxy to the other helps create the impression of the vastness of space, and allows people to deliberately set-up in harder to reach locations.
    I understand what you mean. I don't think that would need to be a limiting factor in deciding which system to implement though - time spent in warp/hyperspace could be made proportional to distance, so jumping to far locations could still take a longer time.
    [doublepost=1476530129,1476529589][/doublepost]
    Increasing jump range would certainly prove beneficial to servers; without a significant buff to warpgates, though, it might drive them even further into obsolescence.
    Good point.

Another concern I have is that, without an inhibitor update to include the widely-desired "jump interupting" feature (if a jump path intersects an inhibited sector, the jumping ship is dropped in or adjacent to that sector), increasing jump ranges would further lower the odds of successful jump chases, piracy, and similar (although I admit that this may already be moot, since server populations are low enough that the rate at which such interactions occur is negligible).
    I can't disagree, it would make it more unlikely, but I kind of feel like chain drives already make it extremely unlikely anyway, so there wouldn't be much difference.

Chain drives will remain in use until there is a reason not to use them, and this change would not be such a reason (it is highly unlikely that it would make chain drives significantly less effective (let alone at all), in terms of speed per block, than large jump drives).
    Possibly, yes. Or perhaps people would be satisfied with a range that was "enough".

Anyway, I think your post is probably enough for me to now see the current system as (very, very) slightly preferable to jump modules increasing range.
    [doublepost=1476530207][/doublepost]
    The one problem I see with increasing range versus increasing recharge is different players would all have different jump ranges, and end up loading more sectors into active memory by being in different sectors at the same time.
    I doubt that would be enough to match the number of sectors loaded because of chain drives.
    [doublepost=1476530267][/doublepost]
    The main reason from what I can gather is jump drives are meant to be a (relatively) short distance hop, whilst longer distance FTL travel will be using hyperdrives, which may be capital related?
    Ah, is this a thing?

Hyperdrives are something different to jump drives? Where can people see more info about this?

Reaction score
    What makes warp gates not much used is their max range who makes it pretty annoying to travel trough the whole galaxy and the fact that they aren't intuitives to use, like transporters for example.

Reaction score
    I understand what you mean. I don't think that would need to be a limiting factor in deciding which system to implement though - time spent in warp/hyperspace could be made proportional to distance, so jumping to far locations could still take a longer time.
    [doublepost=1476530129,1476529589][/doublepost]

Good point.

I can't disagree, it would make it more unlikely, but I kind of feel like chain drives already make it extremely unlikely anyway, so there wouldn't be much difference.

Possibly, yes. Or perhaps people would be satisfied with a range that was "enough".

Anyway, I think your post is probably enough for me to now see the current system as (very, very) slightly preferable to jump modules increasing range.
    [doublepost=1476530207][/doublepost]

I doubt that would be enough to match the number of sectors loaded because of chain drives.
    [doublepost=1476530267][/doublepost]

Ah, is this a thing?

Hyperdrives are something different to jump drives? Where can people see more info about this?
    Hyperdrives have only really been brought up in Q&A sessions etc, but I don't see why they would be abandoned. To my knowledge they're intended to be a capital ship only system, or at least you require one to use it.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What makes warp gates not much used is their max range who makes it pretty annoying to travel trough the whole galaxy and the fact that they aren't intuitives to use, like transporters for example.
    You may be onto something there....Selecting the destination of a warp gate exactly like selecting the destination of a teleporter.

Reaction score
    Hyperdrives have only really been brought up in Q&A sessions etc, but I don't see why they would be abandoned. To my knowledge they're intended to be a capital ship only system, or at least you require one to use it.
    I wasn't being skeptical, or doubting that you're right. I'm just interested in this, and I know nothing about it, so looking for more info.

Reaction score
    What little I "understood" about Hyperdrives was that they are effectively Warpgate-ranged jump-drives, and can only be placed upon the yet-to-be-introduced "capitol ship" class of ship, and could even then only be used when the "capitol ship" was in some sort of lockdown, such that it could not move around with it's normal engines.

Which enrages me on a very deep level, but if it is done well, may mitigate the majority of it.