Make Home Bases Less Immune - Let docked items be destroyable

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I figure, ALLOW docked ships and docked turrets to be breakable!

Why?

Because right now you dock your giant ass ship (that is border line impossibel to dock) on TOP of your station, and happy days, its now immune.

You should always be at RISK in this game.

Your station's docked ship and turrets should always be destroyable.

Right now, its wow immune this sucks, move on. You cant do anything. This is not fun.

If you want to really product your ships, then you should HAVE to build a HANGAR and put it inside. Then let the base protect it due to its immunity from attack.

Now its possible to glitch through walls (like minecraft raidcraft) and then shoot stuff. This should just be allowed. Either disable glitching entirely, or just live with it I say. You can add a few turrets INSIDE your hangar to help deter invaders.

But either way, you should not be able to just park your ship, and leave the server for 3 weeks and come back and all is well. It's bs!

Allow players to be crafty and take stuff.

Home bases themselves should remain immune EXCLUDING chests. This forces the player to setup "vault rooms" of 5 block thick hulls etc. To stop glitching.

Allowing docked items to be killable introduces a whole lot more entertainment into the game, and careful thought. No more docking the mother ship on the roof because its easy. Dock it inside or take your chances outside.

Star made is not Minecraft Creative mode, its closer to Minecraft Factions / Raidcraft mod. Nothing should be safe (other than your home base itself - not any docked items)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So after I make a docking port I will simply install plex shutters to close off the view of the ship. Seeing as plex doors are part of the station this would make the ship completely hidden by the station.

BTW, \'glitching\' in its own terms is an act that is not intended to be done. You don\'t \'allow glitching\', it is simply a bug, not a feature.

Btw, Starmade is not -craft, it is Starmade. It is its own game, not related to those other games.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nootau if you\'ve played Minecraft factions/raidcraft mod you would realise how close starmade mimics that mod, and glitching is basically part of that mod, whether its desired or not, its reality. If the Minecraft developers can\'t stop glitching, what makes you think schema can? Hence it should just be accepted as \"going to occur frequently\".

In regular minecraft there is no real purpose for glitching, play raidcraft, and the uses are endless. You really have to spend a few months on that mod to know what I am talking about.

And yes, your plexdoors will seal off your ship from the outside - unless someone glitches through, which is pretty easy in this game. Hence my mention of internal turrets. Nonethe less you cant glitch a giant ship inside a small hangar so you still have a great advantage being inside a hangar than outside if docked items are made destroyable - which I genuinely believe they should be.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Instead of making glitching part of the game, perhaps there are other ways to make the game factor in risk. Like losing credits and items on death. If somebody wants to hide in their station 100% of the time so you camt kill them, so be it.

Rather than \'nerf\' a mechanic, you can add natural ways to put less pressure on it. Make the rewards for venturing out of spawn greater than the risk of dying, give people incentive to put their credits and ships at risk. Taking out the *one* safe haven for ships wont do anything but invalidate the decision Schema made to allow home bases and their docked vessels to be safe in the first place. And making it necessay to cover docked ships with plex doors or whatever isn\'t a solution to a problem - in fact, it\'s a problem that safe docking is the solution to.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Might be nice as a server option.

Building hangars of that size would be kind of a pain in the ass. All your external turrets will not fire on a ship that is cloaked and/or jamming. If no one is at home they\'re all fucked. With current shield mechanics (will not regenerate under fire) all of your shit outside will be destroyed by the tiniest of jamming ships.

Btw, Starmade is not -craft, it is Starmade. It is its own game, not related to those other games.

Word.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Cover your ships with plex doors, or no doors, and hack up a wall around after docking...

Glitching IS part of the game theres no way to avoid it. Right now due to immunity of docked items glitching is not required. I do not like glitching. But I accept its not going away unless schema is a champ and the minecraft devs are useless.

Giving ships/turrets immunity makes the game far more boring. The whole invasion/strategies thing people yap on here on the forums and how to invade bases and whatnot is POINTLESS and NOT POSSIBLE right now. Just a dream.

You can\'t invade or interrupt an undestroyable enemy. INVADING does not EXIST in this game due to home base immunity. No one has 5 bases, only one mega home base, and maybe a shitty temp base elsewhere - AT BEST.

Allowing docked items to be vulnerable would allow invading to occur, and make the game more interesting.

Your idea of venturing out of spawn makes little difference. Pirates are not that hard to kill, and even if they are, I like other server admins, disable AI to keep it butchering the CPU. The real fun in this game is battle and theft with other players, where there is real risk and real reward. Not this hide in my base I\'m immune now time to go on holiday for 3 weeks as is the case right now. That just encourages boredom and moving onto different games.

Close your hangar, and put turrets inside, will kill off 90% of attacks. But there should be at least a small chance your ship can be lost, especially if you leave it docked for a week straight without playing the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, if you get your way, then everyone is gonna have big boring indestructable hangars and the same problem is gonna persist anyway, right?

Reaction score
    the whole point to the immunity is so peaople can log out and not have to worry about some lame person comming along and destrying everyones hard work when they are not on to protect themselves unles they were just immune when a person is logged out and make it so people cant run and hide on thier base by making faction bases inaccessable during a fight that might balance things out better

Reaction score
    and docking seems to be fixed none of my turrets are glitching anymore

Reaction score
    Why not make this a toggleable feature in server settings? If HOMEBASE_PROTECTED = true, then docked items are immune. If false, then not.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nootau if you\'ve played Minecraft factions/raidcraft mod you would realise how close starmade mimics that mod, and glitching is basically part of that mod, whether its desired or not, its reality.

I used to play on them. It doesn\'t mimic the mod in the slightest. Tell me how it mimics it.

If the Minecraft developers can\'t stop glitching, what makes you think schema can? Hence it should just be accepted as \"going to occur frequently\".

They could if they wanted to. If you are unfamiliar with many faction servers that use Modular Power suits which uses the jump drive system it can glitch into and through blocks under the same conditions as enderpearls. In reaction if you alter the protections with either the plugin or the mod to fix ender pearls, you no longer are able to glitch through the blocks, enstead you just take fall damage from the normal pearl penalty. I also find Schema more compatent than most earily development of Minecraft so I have full faith that he can and will fix this glitch once he works on the collision mechanics.

So over all this throws out your idea of this being unfixable and the concept of treating this bug as a \'feature\' should be destroyed as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Server setting is workable solution.

To BDLS and Wade, I am aware of its original purpose, but you should have to factor in survivability of your ship. Not just dock it, clock off for the night knowing with 100% certaintly no harm will come. Also with hangar doors but non immune docked ships/turrets, its still possible to glitch in and shoot, although with a small ship. So no, not the same.

This should mimic minecraft factions more than minecraft creative mode. As my way means you can actually steal ships if you are desperate enough / enemy dumb enough. Whereas now its impossible, and that aint fun.

Reaction score
    i hear what you saying but in my opinion griefers are not fun

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Griefers are minecraft.. this is a nice toned down version of war!

Also you could build far away.

If anyone has some suggestions on how not to make a home base totally immune feel free to share. I just came up with the docked items not being immune idea. Might be better ones.

I just know full immunity is boring and makes the aspect of stealing / killing impossible and makes the game more boring. After you build your big mothership, theres not a whole lot to do right now due to the immunity.

Reaction score
    You seem to keep bringing up Minecraft. Starmade is inspired by Minecraft, it is not Minecraft. Comparing games is like comparing two differnet fruits, it\'s impossable to say one\'s better, it\'s all about preferance. I should also note that Minecraft is finished; Starmade is in alpha, there\'s bound to be change. Comparing to a finished game isn\'t exactly fair on Starmade, either.

From the way I see it, you enjoy \'greifing\', and this mechanic is so you could get a kick out of stealing or breaking something without a problem (Such as the player being on and being able to shoot back); which in itself, isn\'t much fun. I don\'t beleive there\'s a major problem at the second for this; even though I\'d like to see it, it\'s not something I want/need right now or soon.

This is just my opinion, at least.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    by now even minecraft has mods that offer an airtight protection against grieving.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually I only bring up minecraft because others try to treat this game like its minecraft creative mode with infinite health and no mobs and everything is a rainbow and the thought of non-immunity in any shape or form is unbearable.

Whereas its clear to me as a minecraft raidcraft mod player that that\'s where this game borrowed a lot of ideas regarding factions, and it seems reasonable to make attacking bases possible. It was likely thought that people would have multiple bases but the reality is that we only have one in general, so this concept of immune bases needs work... full immunity is just boring

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    How did it borrow it? What is similar? That there are factions? That you can kill and steal things from other people\'s faction bases? These are concepts that predate the concept of the game Minecraft. Stop trying to link it to a mod/plugin set used on Minecraft.

Just so you know, there are \'creative mode\' servers on Starmade which have spawning off. So what? Are you trying to tell people \'you\'re doing it wrong\' for something they find enjoyable?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You shall simply be banned from any serious server. Glitches part of the game ? No, actual glitches and bugs are your responsibility, as a player, to report them, not to abuse them to gain advantages over others, unfair gameplay which will just damage other\'s gameplay, and eventually, damage this game.

Also, you are wrong about full immunity, \"Factions\" in their term are groups of people, not the common lone guys with 1 guy in a faction (there could be a feature of automatic faction removal a week after a faction is created and there are no new members in the time, this is an already existing idea).

So, groups of people can\'t all hide their stuff on a single station, since there are limitations to how much stuff can be in the same sector (without killing the server and/or your graphic cards). That is why that home base immunity actually exists, so at least \"something\" is safe from all the faction.

And, true \"big motherships\" are not dockable, so you are doing more than a thing wrong.

Reaction score
    Schema has admits to have only played Minecraft for about 3 hours total. The Schine engine has been indevelopment for about 10 years and Starmade for about 3 years... The game was inspired by LEGO and was originally set to be made using prefabricated parts (like a lego 2x2 or 2x1 etc.)

I am not kidding you, there is an interview between coopy tv and Schema on youtube. Turn on closed captioning and then listen and learn.

ALso, all of you seem to focus on the PvP and PvE factors in this game. There are other ways to play such as a manufacturer or trader ofr example. And I have played minecraft vanilla, multiplayer, with mods etc. for over 2 years. THe only real similarity is the use of blocks and Java.