Logic and its Relationship to Doors

Reaction score
    This is a simple solution: if flex doors or blast doors are linked to a logic module that would trigger it to open, then that is the only way that it can be opened. This would lead not only to practicality as logic designs are concerned, but it could lead the way to the creation of a "practical" system of logic based locks

This suggestion stems from being able to open my elevator doors even when the elevator is not at the floor in question, or when an air lock completely controlled by logic can be bypassed entirely just by activating the door.

The largest problem with this is that it could trap people in a certain area that they would have to cut themselves out of if proper design elements weren't implemented [unless it's supposed to be a trap ;)!]. So perhaps having a door respond to logic commands only could be an option that could be selected in build mode ?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Suggested again and again.
    I even thought about the possibility to put logic into the door itself to save space (using wireless logic, but it can be clicked by faction-members)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Alternatively, a special door type could be implemented which can only be opened via logic, like the iron doors in Minecraft.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Could become a feature of an expanded permissions block. If a door is set to only be opened by faction founders or highest officer it can be opened manually in emergencies still, but other than that only operate normally through logic.

Its not really a change to doors, but it would add this functionality to doors and many other blocks.
    Pretty much if permission blocks get a proper fix/implementation I think we will end up getting this because of that.

Reaction score
    Cannot you do this already by putting a faction permission module and set the permission to founder? The logic would be useable, but the door would not.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The issue is that setting up logic to control a door is pretty pointless right now because no matter what you do the door can still be opened manually.

Reaction score
    I do like the idea that if a door is slaved to logic then it shouldn't be able to open manually. Or as someone pointed out a mincraft like iron door that only works with logic.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i think in some cases this could be useful but in others it would be incredibly annoying. one example is on my station i use USDs that have a lock out button inside the station i tend to activate this when i leave so that people cant get in to my station. however once i activate the lockout the only way to get through the door and into my ship is to open it manually. in this situation it would be very inconvenient to have these logic doors unable to be manually activated. this is realy just for something to think about. i do support the idea of having a different type of door that could only be activated by logic but i think there still needs to be a way to have both methods of control for one door.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    however once i activate the lockout the only way to get through the door and into my ship is to open it manually
    Couldn't this be solved by adding a faction-controlled lockout button on the outside as well?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Couldn't this be solved by adding a faction-controlled lockout button on the outside as well?
    not without having messy logic as the only place to put it that won't have messy logic is where there is a camera

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    not without having messy logic as the only place to put it that won't have messy logic is where there is a camera
    Well, the USD is a user-made "standard". You are free to modify it to suit your particular builds :D including:
    • making it one block longer
    • moving the outer green light
    • filling in the space in front of the core so you don't need a camera
    • inner-ship remote
    I would hesitate to hold up a potential feature due to reliance on a a particular ship design.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well, the USD is a user-made "standard". You are free to modify it to suit your particular builds :D including:
    • making it one block longer
    • moving the outer green light
    • filling in the space in front of the core so you don't need a camera
    • inner-ship remote
    I would hesitate to hold up a potential feature due to reliance on a a particular ship design.
    yes i agree i was just using that as an example i am sure there are lots of people who rely on having doors that are both logic and manual controlled.

i do support the idea of having a different type of door that could only be activated by logic

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    OK, just that I get it right:
    • NTIMESc suggests to throw away USD, but
    • TomW1605 says we should keep support for builders that can't decide between manual/logic?
    I'd say, go either way or the other.

At some point it's time for the out-dated ships to get overhauled for the greater good (instead of blocking the implementation of useful stuff)

Reaction score
    Alternatively, a special door type could be implemented which can only be opened via logic, like the iron doors in Minecraft.
    While I'd prefer a uniform behaviour, I could see the "Minecraft approach" as a viable quick solution while leaving the door open (haha) for later, more profound changes - have blast doors only operate when controlled by logic, and have plex doors continue to operate the way they are now.
    This way ships that rely on the current modus operandi will continue to work by and large, if necessary they can swap blast doors for plex doors.

What I'd really like to see is doors won't operate manually when slaved to logic, or will only operate manually if next to a permission block. With the reservation that I'd wish the permission block would get an overhaul as well, such that it can get slaved to the entity it is controlling, as opposed to having to sit next to it.

Reaction score
    Actually on a station you can't use the camera or the rail docker. I usually remove them from a USD when I place it on a station. If you remove the rail docker then you already have the faction block in place for an external lockout.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well there is a way to use a camera on a station but it uses a docked core with a ton of cameras on it scattered throughout the station that are part of that docked entity.

Reaction score
    Well there is a way to use a camera on a station but it uses a docked core with a ton of cameras on it scattered throughout the station that are part of that docked entity.
    This is true and useful for security CCTV but probably not needed on a USD for a station. Even so you can leave the USD and simple remove the rail docker since a station can't dock to another entity.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Further recommendation for people who want the option to use doors manually in a logic-controlled situation: Have the doors work as activation logic buttons, so that they can be attached to the logic system and can be activated. That way, if you really, really want to, you can have a door that you can open by pushing it. I've always wanted doors to be a part of the logic subsystem anyway.

Reaction score
    Further recommendation for people who want the option to use doors manually in a logic-controlled situation: Have the doors work as activation logic buttons, so that they can be attached to the logic system and can be activated. That way, if you really, really want to, you can have a door that you can open by pushing it. I've always wanted doors to be a part of the logic subsystem anyway.
    I like the idea, but wouldn't it make more sense for the door to act as a switch instead of a button, considering its statefulness?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the idea, but wouldn't it make more sense for the door to act as a switch instead of a button, considering its statefulness?
    Yes, thank you for the correction.