List in-progress features in dev build

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just a small request to the devs for those of us playtesting the dev build; would it be possible to list current in-progress features somewhere for those of us on the dev servers? Like basically a changelog explaining the differences between the dev build and the last full release.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Given what I read in this post;
    Should have seen earlier.
    This is an effect of the WIP ship-HP system.
    Details about it should be made public as soon as all functions of it work.
    (and we get briefed what exactly we should test for)

- Andy
    I would have to say the the Dev Build is not ready for 'testing'. We'd just be telling the devs what they already know; the system is incomplete.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Given what I read in this post;

I would have to say the the Dev Build is not ready for 'testing'. We'd just be telling the devs what they already know; the system is incomplete.
    No, that's exactly why this suggestion was posted. It would make it easier not to confuse bugs with just not-implemented-things.

Reactions: kiddan

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    No, that's exactly why this suggestion was posted. It would make it easier not to confuse bugs with just not-implemented-things.
    That makes it pretty pointless.
    That'd be like getting dressed and some guy sat in your window yelling at you saying you forgot your tie when you just haven't gotten to it. Testing is more like informing you that your fly is down, that you missed a button on the shirt, or that you forgot your tie while going downstairs.

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That makes it pretty pointless.
    That'd be like getting dressed and some guy sat in your window yelling at you saying you forgot your tie when you just haven't gotten to it. Testing is more like informing you that your fly is down, that you missed a button on the shirt, or that you forgot your tie while going downstairs.
    I believe you misunderstand what I am aiming at. I am well aware that dev-build stuff is expected to be incomplete, otherwise it wouldn't be in the dev-build, hell half the shit that makes it to release is still buggy as shit. But the whole point of the dev-build is to allow for testing of the newest features such as the rails or the HP system and working out the major problems in a controlled environment BEFORE they are released to the release branch, which is all well and good. But what I would like to see is, "ok, what new features are being worked on in the dev-build that have not yet been released to the release branch yet?" If anything it would help the bugtesting on the dev-build servers because Muggles like me not affiliated with the wizards running the development process can still be aware of changes and actively test new features with the intent of seeing what breaks and notifying the devs of what we find, which is what the dev-build is essentially for.

Reaction score
    Eh. Having to create a changelog for everything you're putting in, especially when it might change(We're adding XYZ hype feature! Wait, they're too glitchy, they're going out.), probably won't work well. When they want to add info, the news will work fine.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I believe you misunderstand what I am aiming at. I am well aware that dev-build stuff is expected to be incomplete, otherwise it wouldn't be in the dev-build, hell half the shit that makes it to release is still buggy as shit. But the whole point of the dev-build is to allow for testing of the newest features such as the rails or the HP system and working out the major problems in a controlled environment BEFORE they are released to the release branch, which is all well and good. But what I would like to see is, "ok, what new features are being worked on in the dev-build that have not yet been released to the release branch yet?" If anything it would help the bugtesting on the dev-build servers because Muggles like me not affiliated with the wizards running the development process can still be aware of changes and actively test new features with the intent of seeing what breaks and notifying the devs of what we find, which is what the dev-build is essentially for.
    Well, there is a period of time where it is just Schema building and adding things until it gets to the "testing point". Once it is ready to test, The testers are sent a PM that explains to them what does what and how things should work, from there, some testers forward that message to other players that are not testers but are interested in testing.

In the end, this is less something for Schema to do, and falls more in the Realm of head teater AndyP

Reaction score
    • Tester
    In testing we do normaly wait a while after new features show up before reporting and testing anything.
    Things are getting changed and implemented in that state while you are testing, causing your work to be wasted and to be done over and over again.
    So .. the better way to do it is to look at the way it develops and wait for the "go test this" (or start after you got the feeling its ready), and not waste time on things being fixed or changed before you even could finish the bug report properly ;)

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Just ask the chat, someone usually knows whats in the dev-build.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Auriga_Nexus
    I have seen you on the Testserver a few times, when you are interesting in joining the testing team, feel free to drop me a message.

This offer is also for all others wanting to help, we are always needing helping hands with this, as most people only play and complain, but doing the hard work like writing down what exactly looks wrong and does not work as you would expect or how to reproduce an error and narrow it down to the least factors required, is currently done by only a few people.

We also do not send PMs, we have our own communication platform for this.

- Andy

Auriga_Nexus

Befriender of Worlds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well, if you'll have me. I'll do my best to try and document as much as I can about any errors that pop up. I'm actually a recent Computer Information Systems graduate (and I mean REALLY recent, as in two weeks ago), so I'm familiar with the troubleshooting process in regards to narrowing down potential culprits and replicating results.