Liquid Systems Nano Yard (LSNY)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So I went with adding a few Scrap fleas onto the Palmetto. I ended up using the small scale docks I had made for the updated Prometheus and the end result wasn't so bad. I kind of like it actually, it shows off the logo, has a clear docking zone, and holds 4 drones for salvage purposes.

While this variant has less cargo capacity(only about 7,000) it's more directly suited to mining asteroid fields for those folks who are on-the-go types. Also the capacity is still never the less bountiful and easily holds numerous asteroids without issue.

Should I add a mining rig to it? That's the only remaining question...

top view from the front

sides with logo

the interior in the middle of the ship. This was mostly empty walkway but I decided to chop out the ceiling and add a hollow "rafter" that holds the cargo area. The center is now also a cargo access point.

Aside from that I went ahead and did some work on a scale model of what I intend to do with the Ocean. Even the model isn't finished yet though, but that's because it is literally a scale model. Once finished I should easily be able to use some hollowed out 9x9x9 cubes to RAPIDLY build the entire vessels hull. I have quite a few of those templates lying around so it's not like that'll take much effort. Then it should just be plugging in the interiors and the hangars which will be prefabbed and ready to go.

The current stall-point on this model is the reworking of the internals I have planned. I'm going to combine several rooms to reduce the need for hallways. Hallways are sort of pointless and boring on spaceships. So I decided to keep them to a minimum as they would be in a real interstellar vessel.

Red blocks are turret space
    Grey is hull, obviously
    Teal is to let me know something special is there (hangar space, viewing areas, walkways, etx)

Projected Specs

Width about 450 blocks
    Height somewhere around 80 blocks
    Length about 100 blocks or so

Turrets:

8 primary : set to attack selected.These are inside the wings themselves and are meant to converge on a large target from multiple angles.
    12 Secondary : these are regular turrets with either beams or missiles. Have yet to decide on the weapons, but I intend to have Each them be potent enough to 1-2 shot one of my Kabutos.

It may or may not be realistically possible to one shot something with 60k health given the size of the turrets. But I'll definitely try. :)

As for the Primaries those are most definitely going to be Cannons just like the 3 on-board weapons.

Thrust:

No idea on this, I doubt I'll get to 1:1 ratio with such a huge vessel. I will definitely be altering the default power though. It will need alot more juice to turn quickly while strafing.

Why did I go with such an odd(wide) shape??

I've been trying to think of the best way I can to maximize firepower in this game.

A battleship is, historically, something that used a broadside attack or mounted turrets that had their best firing angles when performing a broadside.

Following this idea it became clear that your typically lengthy ship(Z axis based) was not ideal for this type of role. In fact it is the least ideal because you can only get Y number of turrets pointing at the same target at anytime. This is because they frequently block each other's view in a traditional length(Z axis) based ship.

This is due to the primary axis being long, either they have to become Wider or Taller to get more facing the enemy. At that point you've become either a vertical ship that happens to be long, or a wide ship that is also long as well. In such a case you've lost your proportions and things aesthetically will tend to fall apart. Had you started as either Taller/Wider you should still be able to pack in as much firepower but without losing the cool-factor.

Switching over to either a Y axis(vertical) or X axis(horizontal) based ship provides a greater opportunity for all of your firepower to be brought to bear. With that in mind I had to find some sort of inspiration to allow me to actually build something so outside of my comfort zone. That is why I went with a Manta Ray. They are Ocean dwelling creatures but happen to be Wider than they are Long, making them rather unique sea creatures. Likewise the Herakles is based off of a Nautilus as they are vertically oriented as opposed to lengthy like a fish/dolphin/whale.