Linux server: Could not read settings file: using defaults

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Using Debian, followed the instructions at: http://star-made.org/content/set-dedicated-server-linux-0

Upon starting vanilla version of 0.09376 (I didn't change anything!), I'm getting this error: Could not read settings file: using defaults

If I change any settings, I get the same error and the server replaces my server.cfg with a newly generated default server.cfg.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But that\'s the thing... it\'s not edited. It\'s a default-generated server.cfg:

PROTECT_STARTING_SECTOR = false //Protects the starting sector
    ENABLE_SIMULATION = true //Universe AI simulation
    CONCURRENT_SIMULATION = 256 //How many simulation groups may be in the universe simultaniously (performance)
    ENEMY_SPAWNING = true //Enables enemy spawing
    SIMULATION_SPAWN_DELAY = 420 //How much seconds between simulation spawn ticks
    SIMULATION_TRADING_FILLS_SHOPS = true //Trading guild will deliver stock to shops
    SECTOR_INACTIVE_TIMEOUT = 20 //Time in secs after which sectors go inactive (-1 = off)
    SECTOR_INACTIVE_CLEANUP_TIMEOUT = 10 //Time in secs after which inactive sectors are completely removed from memory (-1 = off)
    USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = false //allow star-made.org authentication
    STARTING_CREDITS = 25000 //How many credits a new player has
    DEFAULT_BLUEPRINT_ENEMY_USE = true //Default option to use uploaded ships in waves
    LOCK_FACTION_SHIPS = true //If true, ships of other factions cant be edited, activated, or entered
    DEBUG_FSM_STATE = false //transfer debug FSM state. Turing this on may slow doen network
    PHYSICS_SHAPE_CASTING_TUNNELING_PREVENTION = false //Makes a convex cast for hight speed object to prevent clipping. High Cost. (Bugged right now, so dont turn it on)
    CATALOG_SLOTS_PER_PLAYER = -1 //How many slots per player for saved ships (-1 for unlimited)
    CATALOG_NAME_COLLISION_HANDLING = false //if off, saving with an existing entry is denied, if on the name is automatically changed by adding numbers on the end
    SECTOR_AUTOSAVE_SEC = 300 //Time interval in secs the server will autosave (-1 for never)
    PHYSICS_SLOWDOWN_THRESHOLD = 40 //Milliseconds a collision test may take before anti-slowdown mode is activated
    THRUST_SPEED_LIMIT = 50 //How fast ships, etc. may go in km/h. Too high values may induce physics tunneling effects
    MAX_CLIENTS = 32 //Max number of clients allowed on this server
    SUPER_ADMIN_PASSWORD_USE = false //Enable super admin for this server
    SUPER_ADMIN_PASSWORD = mypassword //Super admin password for this server
    SERVER_LISTEN_IP = all //Enter specific ip for the server to listen to. use \"all\" to listen on every ip
    SOCKET_BUFFER_SIZE = 262144 //buffer size of incoming and outgoing data per socket
    PHYSICS_LINEAR_DAMPING = 0.09 //how much object slow down naturally (must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no slowdown
    PHYSICS_ROTATIONAL_DAMPING = 0.09 //how much object slow down naturally (must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no slowdown
    AI_DESTRUCTION_LOOT_COUNT_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items in a loot stack. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    AI_DESTRUCTION_LOOT_STACK_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items spawned after AI destruction. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    CHEST_LOOT_COUNT_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items in a loot stack. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    CHEST_LOOT_STACK_MULTIPLIER = 0.9 //multiply amount of items spawned in chests of generated chests. use values smaller 1 for less and 0 for none
    USE_WHITELIST = false //only names/ips from whitelist.txt are allowed
    FILTER_CONNECTION_MESSAGES = false //don\'t display join/disconnect messages
    USE_UDP = false //Use \'User Datagram Protocol\' (UDP) instead of \'Transmission Control Protocol\' (TCP) for connections

...but I\'m still getting the error:

[VERSION] VERSION: 0.09376
    [VERSION] BUILD: 20130706_222413
    #################### StarMade #######################
    # version 0.09376 - build 20130706_222413 #
    #####################################################
    [LIBLOADER] OS ARCHITECTURE amd64
    [LIBLOADER] LOADED NATIVE LIBRARIES
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No enum const class xu.PROTECT_STARTING_SECTOR
    at java.lang.Enum.valueOf(Enum.java:196)
    at xu.valueOf(SourceFile:66)
    at xu.a(SourceFile:311)
    at org.schema.game.common.Starter.main(SourceFile:663)
    Could not read settings file: using defaults
    [MAIN] LOADED ENGINE SETTINGS

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the same problem, i even tried to chmod the server.cfg file to 777 or ug+x but i keeps reverting to the default values.

Its anoying because i can\'t enable the super admin password which is needed for the new admin tools.

I\'d also like to change the max speed.

Seems like a reading rights problem but i\'m not sure how to fix it.

Reaction score
    I\'ll see if I can get it working on my installation of debian later and tell you what I find.

Reaction score
    i even tried to chmod the server.cfg file to 777

PLEASE don\'t do that. Ever. chmod 777 allows everyone to read, but more importantly to write and execute that file. Meaning anyone could change the contents to anything they like, and then execute that file, which now may be a shell script, a binary executable, or whatever. Just because its file extension is .cfg doesn\'t mean it is or even has to be a config file...

Doomsider

Server scriptologist
    Reaction score
    What are you executing to run the server and what user are you using?