Linux and OSX users needed

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Hello players,

We need your help! In our tester team, there’s a lack of OSX and Linux users. This has been an issue for a long time now and it has resulted in multiple releases where Starmade showed severe issues on these Operating Systems. Although they were fixed within days, we would rather avoid having them at all for a release version.

We need more people to contact when we encounter an OS related issue, or when a feature needs a quick check to see if it more or less works (as in, it doesn’t crash). Those requests only take 10-20 minutes of your time and in return, you help us a great deal.

Note: This is not an application as tester, it’s only for quick checks. If you are interested in becoming a tester, read this.

If you have a OSX or Linux device that runs Starmade and you’re willing to lend us a hand, please contact us here. As thanks, we’ll provide assistance if you yourself encounter an issue with Starmade or answer questions you may have about a specific dev build.

We’re using Slack to chat with each other. You’ll be required to join since it’s the easiest way to get in contact with each other. AndyP will need an email address in order to sign you up for our Slack team so send that as well in your message. We’ll give you all the info needed related to Slack and the team.

When your help is required, you’ll receive a personal message on there from me or a developer.
    No space magic involved!

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I used to run Linux all the time. But then I got my Mac-book Pro and switched to OSX. And now I've deleted OSX in favor of Boot-Camp Windows 10.

If you don't get enough responses to this request I can setup a multi-boot on my Laptop to test in these environments if you need me to.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Are you asking specifically for Linux/OSPF clients, or do you want to hear from server admins too?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Are you asking specifically for Linux/OSPF clients, or do you want to hear from server admins too?
    We have server owners in our tester slack, they can give us crash logs directly, they're free to join.
    In this particular case, I would prefer clients since they should show server related issues too.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm available. I've used Linux for my let's play every episode except the last one and hope to resume using Linux for my let's play this weekend. posting here cause the forum seems to be having single sign on issues...

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    using osx already am on slack so ... when ever you need something tested hit me up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    We have server owners in our tester slack, they can give us crash logs directly, they're free to join.
    In this particular case, I would prefer clients since they should show server related issues too.
    Thank you for the clarification.

Also: Apparently I've been talking with NetAdmins for long enough that my autocorrect thinks OS X is a routing protocol. ;-)

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    oh well i just happen to have both but i won't be able to use slack right now but i will tell you a current linux issue basically when i am on my linux computer when i enter a ship core it either crashes the game straight away or waits until i drag a block into my hotbar

[doublepost=1467955000,1467954829][/doublepost]
    I used to run Linux all the time. But then I got my Mac-book Pro and switched to OSX. And now I've deleted OSX in favor of Boot-Camp Windows 10.

If you don't get enough responses to this request I can setup a multi-boot on my Laptop to test in these environments if you need me to.
    i got a macbook air and use it as my main computer i also run a linux 150$ build but starmade is too glitchy on linux

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Im going to try at some point and put starmade on raspberry pi. Mainly just for ship building if i cant get the full game running. Has anyone tried anything simmilar with this? It should be a interesting test for linux.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So you need someone to update and then launch the game to see if it implodes? Yeah, I can do that. I run OSX Mavericks.

Reaction score
    Im going to try at some point and put starmade on raspberry pi. Mainly just for ship building if i cant get the full game running. Has anyone tried anything simmilar with this? It should be a interesting test for linux.
    Not going to work due to different processor architecture. StarMade's external libraries (LWJGL, OpenAL, FastNoiseSIMD etc.) are only available for x86 architectures, RaspberryPies have ARM processors.

Even if it would run, their limited RAM would be a serious bottleneck.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Still no sound on my game running under linux.
    Also not possible to move through all docked turrets aboard a ship. Its like they do not exist. When deleting the parent entity the turrets i couldn't move in -via arrows and ctrl right- do not appear on radar unless icheck the turret and docked entities box in nav menu.

Reaction score
    I play this on a new build PC with Linux Mint 18.0 (Based on Debian and Ubuntu) , I run a server , and use the client on the same PC
    my 3 boys each have a PC ( various makes) and play Starmade on Linux mint 17.3
    a buddy that also uses Linux mint 18.0, plays on the server from offsite
    none of us have sound in the game
    I would be glad to help in any way i can , We have been logging a lot of hours the last few weeks .

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I am running it on Linux since day 1. The actual release and the past one are crashing on me when loading the game.

I tought that with the update the problem should've been fixed but it didn't.

Already reinstalled with default settings with no luck.

Reaction score
    Server is still up and we are still using it daily.

linux mint 18. quad core I5, 64 gigs memory.

no sound on the client.

never had the start NPC guy at the shop , wondering if there is a way to restart him ?

Reaction score
    I use a older PC with LinuxMint 19.x ad i have found in the SMD Forum and YouTube a tutorial to install SM on that.
    Holy crap for a Linux noob is that the hell to install......!
    Isn't a bash script anywhere for installation?