Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    I believe that is completely intentional. I personally do not want advanced hull to be seamless. I can't imagine any other way of differentiating it from standard without drastically changing the texture or hue of the block.
    Apologies, I was unclear. What I meang is the occasional extra dark seam between advanced armor blocks. Caused by rotation information? I think I've seen this on phabricator already. Here are the areas of the screens circled:
    starmade-screenshot-0113a.png starmade-screenshot-0116a.png

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    scanner in that one orientation to obtain it though right
    Scanners can't be rotated. I also didn't even notice that change because they still look fine in my floors.

So once we're all acclimatised to the changes
    Yeah I know I am waiting a while before I make any judgments to eliminate any opinions that may be biased by the "I don't like change"
    mindset

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Apologies, I was unclear. What I meang is the occasional extra dark seam between advanced armor blocks. Caused by rotation information? I think I've seen this on phabricator already. Here are the areas of the screens circled
    This should of been fixed... Could you try replacing the block with the same orientation and seeing if it persists?
    If it does, we need to double check the latest rotation fixes.

Huh, not sure what would cause that. will check it out.

Yeah I know I am waiting a while before I make any judgments to eliminate any opinions that may be biased by the "I don't like change"
    mindset
    I appreciate this. ^^
    [doublepost=1483265816,1483265430][/doublepost]
    something about the factory enhancers bothers me.
    Possibly just need to darken the piston section to give more of a recessed feel? Not sure yet.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    New textures look great to me. As long as every block is as well done I know the pack will look amazing when it's "complete."

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You mentioned in chat that we could bring up a small list of grievances, anyways here's some. (sorry for the complaining, I love the textures)

As discussed before, the static "heat wobble" on the Thruster just doesn't work.
    My biggest problem, everything else about the thruster is perfect... except the thrust circle :davefrown:
    Preferably, I'd just remove the wobble rather than animate it. Other than being disturbed by imperfect circles, I liked to use rotated thrusters for my stove tops and tank treads (also I hold a sort of hatred for the only-4-frames animation of StarMade.)

p.s. Heat wobble on our thrusters? That's a little bit biased against those of us who pretend our thrusters are Ion Thrusters. Isn't the better-but-could-be-improved thruster plume enough to justify not making it wobbly? (Aight, now I'm just giving you grief, please remove wobble though :davetongue:)

The Build Block and Blast Doors look too faded and beat up compared to other blocks, and look out of place...
    The latter looking like someone spilled something all over it because of the splotches, it would be nice to tone done the wear and tear on these ones. Also, I looked in the texture sheet and was surprised to see that you need 4 separate textures for Build Block and Warheads, even though they only have "2" frames. Is it not possible to just use texture 1 > texture 2 > texture 1 > texture 2?

Unlinked Cargo no longer appears as full blocks.

'been around for a while, I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it sucks not having that decorative option anymore. :davefrown:
    I'd kill for some decorative cargo blocks we could place anywhere without the random texture thing, actually.

Medical Supplies emissive blue force field over the med-pack looks terrible in red lighting...
    not really sure what could be done about it other than removing it/changing it to glass though.

oh yeah... ANIMATED WATER! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    This should of been fixed... Could you try replacing the block with the same orientation and seeing if it persists?
    If it does, we need to double check the latest rotation fixes.
    Replacing the wedge didn't change anything. I replaced the blocks on either side of the straight line and the line shifted over one meter. I tried rotating the wedge to each rotation then going back to the cube and replacing the blocks but it always ended up looking like this:
    starmade-screenshot-0119.png

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Replacing the wedge didn't change anything. I replaced the blocks on either side of the straight line and the line shifted over one meter. I tried rotating the wedge to each rotation then going back to the cube and replacing the blocks but it always ended up looking like this:
    View attachment 36434
    Thanks for checking that for me. Pretty sure i know what's causing it and will fix asap.
    [doublepost=1483285089,1483284106][/doublepost]
    You mentioned in chat that we could bring up a small list of grievances, anyways here's some. (sorry for the complaining, I love the textures)

As discussed before, the static "heat wobble" on the Thruster just doesn't work.
    Yup, here is the place to raise any issues. :)
    Ok, pretty small tweak, not against it either. I'll wait for a while and see if it's necessary, but it's worth noting i'm not designing for your space stoves.

The Build Block and Blast Doors look too faded and beat up compared to other blocks, and look out of place...

I looked in the texture sheet and was surprised to see that you need 4 separate textures for Build Block and Warheads, even though they only have "2" frames. Is it not possible to just use texture 1 > texture 2 > texture 1 > texture 2?
    Yea, i did hope blocks of construction / heavy duty nature would be beaten up, but the effect may be too much to sit among others naturally.
    Again, i think this would be a good tweak to think on.

frames go 1,1,1,2 and not 1,2,1,2 because of the timing. I didn't want the build block to blink rapidly, or in time with every other block. So i staggered the frames in this way. It also saves any code changes to make different animation timings.

This could of just been a bug fix, nothing textural would of changed this. I'm also unsure on decorative cargo as it is suppose to be a visual representation of a resource.

Medical Supplies emissive blue force field over the med-pack looks terrible in red lighting...
    Unavoidable i think, unless we change the theme of medical blocks (probably not happening) or the lighting / emissive system (not happening).

Reactions: Exozen
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I actually liked the new blast door texture.

'been around for a while, I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it sucks not having that decorative option anymore. :davefrown:
    I'd kill for some decorative cargo blocks we could place anywhere without the random texture thing, actually.
    Cargo blocks are weird, they are solid based on the rotation of the block. When they are invisible they are rotated a certain way and if you find the correct rotation you can place them as full blocks or any of the quarter variants.

Reactions: Exozen
    Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    Great work kupu!

I´ve noticed some small stuff:

- The top and bottom texture of scanner modules looks almost the same as hull which is kind of a waste.

- I can´t put my finger on it but i feel like the new scaffold is not as good as the old one. Maybe I´m wrong.

- The red forcefield is too blurry in comparison.

Reactions: Aesthetics
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Has anyone else gotten a problem of constantly crashing after this update?

Reaction score
    I actually liked the new blast door texture.
    Same, despite being mostly the same texture, it really does look so much better.

However, I'm very not fond of many of the other changes, partly from a "Kupu changed it, now it sucks" angle, (Thruster[front, left, and right], Missile Tube[all sides], Jump Dirve Computer[top and bottom], Decorative Fan[why did you remove the hazard striping?]) but mostly from a few of the new textures looking quite cartoony. (power reactor, too much black right around the central portion)

I quite liked the Build-block recieving a blinking light, but the actual effect is a bit too intense with the "old and worn" look the rest of the block got. Might even have been better as a pulsing light, instead of the hard on/off binking it currently is.

I allso liked the removal of the chickenwire grating on the factory enhancers, now I can see what the hell was moving back there.
    They didn't need the light-color changed to green though, that was just ugly.

The Animation for the Decorative Screen (blue) was a welcome change, but maybe you could have gotten an option to either stop the animation, or to "turn off" the screen.
    Anyway, I'm waiting on the rest of the decorative screens to get such a treatment.

Many, many of the minor changes (to bring a block in-line with the "new look") are either things that have been needed for a while (sides of computers being blurry), or just plain weird. (why did you change the decorative server? that didn't keking need one!)

Sven_The_Slayer said:
    Cargo blocks are weird, they are solid based on the rotation of the block. When they are invisible they are rotated a certain way and if you find the correct rotation you can place them as full blocks or any of the quarter variants.
    So that's how they achieved that bit of wizardry. I'll have to write that down. Thank you for posting that!

- The top and bottom texture of scanner modules looks almost the same as hull which is kind of a waste.
    You didn't notice that it allways looked a bit like hull/ADV armor? (texture of Grey ADV, color of Grey Hull) Or is it just waaaaaaaay moreso now?

SchnellBier said:
    - I can´t put my finger on it but i feel like the new scaffold is not as good as the old one. Maybe I´m wrong.
    It looks a bit too clean in the middle of the braces, other than that it's basically identical. The slightly higher resolution is kinda keking with it,

SchnellBier said:
    - The red forcefield is too blurry in comparison.
    Yeah, that's clearly even worse than it used to be. Red has allways been an over-saturated blurry little shit.

mosimon2 That may be the nullpointer that is currently boning the Elwyn Returnity server. (it couldn't stay up more than a few minutes)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Great job on the new textures, kupu !

Decorative blocks definitely fit together a lot better now, along with a more consistent theme to everything.

Factory enhancers seem to be bugging me a bit, too. The pistons seem a little blurred or something? Can't quite put my finger on it, but my brain says "too dreamlike". :confused:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I will chip in to Kupu's mounting pile of work. The only thing I saw while looking over our assets is that blast doors are much darker now than they were before. The texture is nice, but the contrast between it and regular doors is much lower, and I think that contrast should be bumped back up.

Reactions: Ghent96

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Not sure the symmetric thruster sides are better tbh. They look too clean and make it harder to use them in heavy engineering or scrounged together ships.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...Yeah, that's another thing. I was trying not to go after every single new thing that's been put in, but the clean, plated thrusters aren't necessarily an improvement over the less clear, darker, more 'tech-y' looking engine side textures (the only thing they're better for now is hallway walls, which you can't really use thrusters for anyway as they have plumes no matter how they are oriented), and I'm not sure if I like the looks of the new top/bottom vent textures either. They feel... too big, I guess?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!

Jedi Outcast Ammo Crate

Starmade Auxiliary Power Block.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Not sure the symmetric thruster sides are better tbh.
    ... plated thrusters aren't necessarily an improvement over the less clear, darker, more 'tech-y' looking engine side textures ...
    Of course they are. I'll write a more coherently reply to you all later on, but the new thrusters are objectively better than the previous.

Not sure where you're getting the "tech-y" vibe from, the previous were literally two metal plates, motorcycle cylinders and a bit of chicken wire.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Well my gripe for the mass enhancers and sensors still stands but I understand why its that way.

As for other things..

Kupu you magical man, The decorative pipes are soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better. That little bit of emmisive is some how just perfect.