Kupu's thread

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I personally love most of the new texure changes (especially the mass enhancers) but blast doors seem a little out of place.

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hmm... I think it's because Blast doors have too much height difference now? Each plate seems to be raised quite a bit over the other... could be wrong though.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I swear,its like we all downloaded a different update..
    oh..wait! Could it be? That we all have different taste?
    nah..
    /s

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    I swear,its like we all downloaded a different update..
    oh..wait! Could it be? That we all have different taste?
    nah..
    /s
    Well of course people have different taste but at the same time it´s important to give some feedback. There´s a huge number of textures and it´s easy to miss small stuff.
    If you take the scanner module for example:
    The textures look great and are fine on their own. But if you start comparing the top and bottom texture to hull blocks you´ll see that you get almost the exact same tiled look in a slightly differnt shade of grey and without rounded corners. It´s nothing wrong with that but at the same time it loses it´s old use where the textures was just slightly different but enough to make a room feel more detailed.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    scanner module
    Yea. I might change the top of the scanner to something else, but not to a heavy duty flooring. It just doesn't fit on the scanner imo. I'll have a think on the "something else".

As i previously mentioned too, such textures could probably exist as their own block (or at least on something more fitting) to be more versatile. Not tied to a system like scanners.

Well of course people have different taste but at the same time it´s important to give some feedback. There´s a huge number of textures and it´s easy to miss small stuff.
    Absolutely. It's the same after any major change. The trick is differentiating knee jerk "ew change" and constructive critique. Which i think we're doing quite well already.

The process will take time to make sure it's right, so having a list of "things we could do better" with a well thought out reasoning goes a long way. Doesn't secure any agreement, but it's still useful to have logged.

___

In other news,

- fixed (hopefully) the rotation issues mentioned,
    - gravity modules have been altered so they appear the right way round,
    - bloomed suns will be less performance heavy (while looking virtually the same)
    - blast doors have been brought closer in line to other blocks. (desaturated, reduced damage, adjusted contrast to better sit next to plexdoors / other blocks).

These changes will appear in the next client update / hotfix. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. :)

I'll add more to the list as they get done.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    In other news,

- bloomed suns will be less performance heavy (while looking virtually the same)
    - blast doors have been brought closer in line to other blocks. (desaturated, reduced damage, adjusted contrast to better sit next to plexdoors / other blocks).
    Ugh...fixing bugs this soon.
    They're meant to stay in queue for at least a year before you're allowed to touch them! Didn't you get the memo?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yea. I might change the top of the scanner to something else, but not to a heavy duty flooring. It just doesn't fit on the scanner imo. I'll have a think on the "something else".

As i previously mentioned too, such textures could probably exist as their own block (or at least on something more fitting) to be more versatile. Not tied to a system like scanners.

Absolutely. It's the same after any major change. The trick is differentiating knee jerk "ew change" and constructive critique. Which i think we're doing quite well already.

The process will take time to make sure it's right, so having a list of "things we could do better" with a well thought out reasoning goes a long way. Doesn't secure any agreement, but it's still useful to have logged.

___

In other news,

These changes will appear in the next client update / hotfix. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. :)

I'll add more to the list as they get done.
    How about making it look like a service floor panel? Just throwing it out there.

Also, had a question about thrusters. Before thruster plumes didn't need bloom to see them, now it seems that you only see them with bloom. Is this intentional/can't be helped?

Reaction score
    I had been wondering that too, was it really neccesary to tie it to Bloom? (Bloom, AKA: that shit everyone turns off because nobody ever gets lensflare correct.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Turn bloom off, and turn framebuffer on. You should get thruster plumes and boring, flat 2d star sprites.

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hey Kupu, I think you forgot to mirror one of the wire bundles on the Activation Gate.

Reactions: Napther
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I am thoroughly enjoying visiting some of my old ships and stations with the new textures. Many of them seem so more "alive" with some of the glowing lights and discreet animations.

Despite the odd "misses", I think this update has added almost as much to the game as the NPC update but without actually "adding" anything to the game, if you know what I mean?

Cannot wait to see more from this.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Replacing the wedge didn't change anything. I replaced the blocks on either side of the straight line and the line shifted over one meter. I tried rotating the wedge to each rotation then going back to the cube and replacing the blocks but it always ended up looking like this:
    View attachment 36434
    I actually like that look, like random and small variations in hull plate sizes. Looks more real. Maybe put that fix on the non-urgent list, eh?
    [doublepost=1483476005,1483475730][/doublepost]
    Of course they are. I'll write a more coherently reply to you all later on, but the new thrusters are objectively better than the previous.

Not sure where you're getting the "tech-y" vibe from, the previous were literally two metal plates, motorcycle cylinders and a bit of chicken wire.
    Please don't dictate to us what our aesthetics must be. We will all individually decided what we think looks best.

As much as I personally detest most "modern" art, it is difficult to be objective about that, and much less so than a texture "art" in a game... That can be easily modded...
    [doublepost=1483476413][/doublepost]
    ...but it's worth noting i'm not designing for your space stoves...
    ...and toilets. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure most of us don't want "heat wobble" or thruster plumes going up our bums. Salvage beam modules are a possible replacement, but look very different. Many will not desire this.

It is a testament to your and others' earlier work that so many different blocks were so versatile in other roles. Nothing wrong with that.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Please don't dictate to us what our aesthetics must be.
    I won't tell you to like it, or even how to use it. But i will continue to design blocks first and foremost for their original intended purpose.
    The feedback system in place here is to contribute that. Not to ensure the survival of domestic amenities within a block set of space ship systems / weapons.

...and toilets. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure most of us don't want "heat wobble" or thruster plumes going up our bums
    difficult to be objective about that, and much less so than a texture "art" in a game... That can be easily modded...
    You're right, the game is easily modded. You could alter a PNG file, or add a unique block to the custom config and t007 texture file.

I suggest anyone wanting a "space toilet" to do so, because it won't be intentionally piggy backing a space in our thruster / weapon designs any time soon. Nor should it.

Reactions: kiddan