Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    neat look. do the colors of the cargo containers represent anything specific, or are just to have that nice stacked-units effect going on?

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Whoa kupu ! Those cargo textures are amazing, just sheer awesome! Would we be able to get a change to plex storage units to make them look a little like the metal crates with the latches/handles?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, IDK about what Dan said but cargo units could use a retexture. I envision half of the texture looking like a receptacle of some sort (like the top of factories) and the other half being a screen with an onscreen keyboard and a bar graph or grid of blocks.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1448910042,1448909967][/DOUBLEPOST]
    neat look. do the colors of the cargo containers represent anything specific, or are just to have that nice stacked-units effect going on?
    They're randomized and just give a feel of stacked units.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Whoa kupu ! Those cargo textures are amazing, just sheer awesome! Would we be able to get a change to plex storage units to make them look a little like the metal crates with the latches/handles?
    Yea. It's not done yet, but Storage blocks are being changed to represent it's new role in the cargo mechanics. Probably should of mentioned that... :)

Reactions: Blodge and kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Will there be an option to have it only use one specific texture? Or is it random now and forever

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Yep! (although i'm a little slow on the reveal here... it's currently in Dev builds ^^' )

So we've been hard at work with the Cargo update, as most of you know. This presented a pretty interesting challenge in terms of textures for a few reasons. Because they appear dynamically in various sizes, the cargo would look boring and bland if the same single cube appears in your cargo hold in different squashed sizes. We needed to do something to spice it up a little.

So i created 5 different cargo "blocks". Each with a partially unique texture specially scaled for it's slab variant, to avoid the "squash" effect. These are then randomly picked and build up dynamically.

Here is a quick image to demonstrate the slab variants. (See yellow / grey crate slabs)

I'm hoping to introduce another of our mystery block sets into the cargo update as well. Busy busy!

Get your cargo bays ready!
    Huzzah! I took a shot while working on my cargo hauler that they'd look something like this in implementation (not the textures, I actually assumed you were to use blank slabs) and built an area entirely around the idea it'd look like this.

Really spiffy looking textures, too.

Reactions: kupu

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Will there be an option to have it only use one specific texture? Or is it random now and forever
    Random now and forever unless you make a slight change to the texture sheet.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If I had storage tanks with transparent windows looking in maybe
    That would still look weird because the things don't fill in even layers... They kinda fill up randomly to look like different-sized boxes and crates stacking.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    That would still look weird because the things don't fill in even layers... They kinda fill up randomly to look like different-sized boxes and crates stacking.
    Yeah but if they were all the same texture it wouldn't look nearly as awkward

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yep! (although i'm a little slow on the reveal here... it's currently in Dev builds ^^' )

So we've been hard at work with the Cargo update, as most of you know. This presented a pretty interesting challenge in terms of textures for a few reasons. Because they appear dynamically in various sizes, the cargo would look boring and bland if the same single cube appears in your cargo hold in different squashed sizes. We needed to do something to spice it up a little.

So i created 5 different cargo "blocks". Each with a partially unique texture specially scaled for it's slab variant, to avoid the "squash" effect. These are then randomly picked and build up dynamically.

Here is a quick image to demonstrate the slab variants. (See yellow / grey crate slabs)

I'm hoping to introduce another of our mystery block sets into the cargo update as well. Busy busy!

Get your cargo bays ready!
    They're randomized and just give a feel of stacked units.
    Random now and forever unless you make a slight change to the texture sheet.
    So, people have been bandying about the words "random textures" a lot, and it's been bugging me because the textures aren't random. They are specific to a block. That particular block will always have the same texture, no matter how many times you take stuff out of and put it into cargo containers. They look nice though, and I hope we will still be able to place a cargo space and have it turn into a crate when the official update comes, as I have lots of plans to do with using these textures for decoration. Wish the textures were truly random though, so I could choose which ones I want. Oh well.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So, people have been bandying about the words "random textures" a lot, and it's been bugging me because the textures aren't random. They are specific to a block. That particular block will always have the same texture, no matter how many times you take stuff out of and put it into cargo containers. They look nice though, and I hope we will still be able to place a cargo space and have it turn into a crate when the official update comes, as I have lots of plans to do with using these textures for decoration. Wish the textures were truly random though, so I could choose which ones I want. Oh well.
    Yes, it is just a pattern generated by some formula and will always turn out the same number for the same coordinates. However, for all intents and purposes it looks 'random.'

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    It's that time again!

!! TEAL HULL HAS BEEN UNLOCKED !!

As always, feedback has been taken on board and new options have been created and others fixed.

Teal Hulls, Crystal Armor, Teal Light and Teal Light Rod will be added to the game in the coming Cargo release.
    Basic Green Hull and Basic Blue Hull have been tweaked and Red hulls have been given a slight saturation boost.

The colours here are not the final version as i'll continue working on them today.

Obviously Cargo has been shown, but the Storage crate needed a little update to better fit it's new role.
    Tricky block this one... it's a controller, it's a single storage box. It has to be cargo + computer in one, still be recognizable as what it was and carry over into new themes.

Anyway, that's what to expect! (also teal light ^ )

A couple of fixes were made, notably power drain / power supply are now correctly labeled!

As always, feedback on changes or general texture talk is welcome here. Hope you enjoy the new update! It's been really fun designing for it.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    It's that time again!

As always, feedback has been taken on board and new options have been created and others fixed.

Teal Hulls, Crystal Armor, Teal Light and Teal Light Rod will be added to the game in the coming Cargo release.
    Basic Green Hull and Basic Blue Hull have been tweaked and Red hulls have been given a slight saturation boost.

The colours here are not the final version as i'll continue working on them today.

Obviously Cargo has been shown, but the Storage crate needed a little update to better fit it's new role.
    Tricky block this one... it's a controller, it's a single storage box. It has to be cargo + computer in one, still be recognizable as what it was and carry over into new themes.

A couple of fixes were made, notably power drain / power supply are now correctly labeled!

As always, feedback on changes or general texture talk is welcome here. Hope you enjoy the new update! It's been really fun designing for it.
    But where's muh pink hull? :P

Regardless, that's some amazing texture work! Loving the new Storage block.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    TEAL!

Green-based color schemes are now 300% more viable due to the awesome combination of green-teal-darkgrey.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It's that time again!

Huzzah! I can't wait to see what the new green and blue basic hull looks like. I assume the "new" storage block can be rotated as it's not just a repeating texture now, can it be rotated all 24 positions or is it limited to 6?

Reactions: Ithirahad