Kupu's thread

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Great work, the textures still look pretty nice :)

I know you said keep it on topic, but you mentioned performance... Its not really your area i guess, but do you think it might be worth having a setting to turn off animated blocks? So it just changes to a static image (one of the frames, or an altered version, i dont know). I wonder how that would affect performance.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, you can open up the block config and search-and-replace <animated>true<\animated> with <animated>false<\animated>

Reactions: Ghent96

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I know you said keep it on topic, but you mentioned performance... Its not really your area i guess, but do you think it might be worth having a setting to turn off animated blocks? So it just changes to a static image (one of the frames, or an altered version, i dont know). I wonder how that would affect performance.
    Don't worry, thats on topic :) I was just safe guarding against "plz make me new block / texture" requests.

As @Itmauve said, that's handled in the block config or alternatively in the block editor by remapping the texture and settings.

Reaction score
    kupu i have been using your custom HUD (you know the one with the circles and the more elegant design) and i love it! you might want to post it right here on the new forum so that people can use it!

[a note: if you do post your (amazing) HUD i recommend changing the build icons to the updated textures for ease and convenience)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Also kupu what is the ram usage on the pixel pack may i ask?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Moraligus I'm glad you like it, but it's really old and outdated. Not enough time to revisit it / fix it i'm afraid, so i won't be posting it here. (it's still on available to download on various sites / blogs though)

The pixel pack is really very small. I have no idea how RAM much it takes specifically. I suppose we could try find the difference in the free memory displayed in the "tech_info" HUD options. But i have no idea how accurate that would be...

If you're after pure performance always go with the pixel pack.

Reaction score
    I am curious on how this works. I'm guessing the compression is an OpenGL feature that has similarities with how PNG handles compression? In that case the key would be clustering, am I right?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    No, this is achieved outside of the games compression options. Sorry, I should of made my OP more clear.

This is all achieved in PNG compression techniques whilst making the texture sheets. Saving on disk space, not occupied VRAM.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hay kupu i don't understand what does this thing means is it a thing for slow pc's or is this for make the game more hd ? should i download it i don't have any lag on the game in ultra

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    hay kupu i don't understand what does this thing means is it a thing for slow pc's or is this for make the game more hd ? should i download it i don't have any lag on the game in ultra
    It's something for slower computers. If you can run the game in ultra you don't want this pack. :)
    This is just a compressed version i made as a test.

Reactions: testkil
    Reaction score
    This is cool! Tempted to do this with my own. I wonder if the performance gain on a 64x64 resolution pack would be negligible or not. Or if the loss of fidelity would be more apparent due to there being less pixels.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    It would be negligible i think. A 64px pack probably won't go any higher than 400kbs in size, you won't get much more compression out of it without some sizeable loss in fidelity.

Reaction score
    Yo. 'Sup.

Actually relevant comment: it's amazing how much file size increases with texture size. It makes perfect sense, but is still interesting.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    No more goodies to share, Kupu?

Loves me some goodies...
    Not yet, sorry!

I'm currently drawing things up though. Hopefully i'll have something to show in the near future.

Reactions: Azurite

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    well, we are all aware of your busy schedule :) lol ,keep up the great work! and display what you want when you can.