Kupu's thread

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Explosions:
    Larger explosions with a new explosion texture.
    They're so big xD

Kinda looks silly when you use a missile that can't even break a single block of rock :P

Beams:
    Larger beams with a smoother beam texture.
    Texture is nice, couldn't see the size difference though :(

Missiles:
    New missile sprites.
    Shiney

Sun Bloom:
    A brighter, larger, smoother sun bloom with less intrusive lens flares. Sun colour should be more distinct. Very slight tone mapping added.
    Couldn't see a difference, although bloom over all seems much less... bloomy than it used to. Which is nice

Lens Dirt:
    Dirt and artifacts appears when turning the player camera into the sun. It is no longer only visible via lens flares, but the entire sun's bloom effect.
    Very subtle, although I feel that sort of thing should be in the glass texture or some shit, rather than right on the lens.

Space Dust:
    Smoother, duller particles that will still indicate movement without distracting or creating harsh white lines along your screen.
    MUCH BETTER!

hields:
    A slower, more liquid looking hit effect.
    Actually looks like a shield now... now just bubble it ( you had to see this coming)

Material properties:
    Hull's reflective properties have been altered.

Specular lighting:
    The specular (suns reflection on blocks) value has been slightly increased and is slightly less yellow in colour.

GUI:
    The target info box order now matches the player's ship bars. Shield - Armour - HP.
    Target Armour and Ship Armour colour bars have been tweaked for legibility.
    Couldn't tell the difference, but k :P

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    They're so big xD

Kinda looks silly when you use a missile that can't even break a single block of rock :p
    Can't make the size payload dependent yet. So feck it, go big.

Texture is nice, couldn't see the size difference though :(
    It sometimes bugs where they don't billboard correctly, making them look smaller :(
    Will have to look at this again.

good.
    Couldn't see a difference, although bloom over all seems much less... bloomy than it used to. Which is nice
    I removed / changed intensity or rescaled the flares.
    Then the "bloom" permeates more of the scene with it's colour / rays, this get's pretty intense when you facehug a big white star.

old

Very subtle, although I feel that sort of thing should be in the glass texture or some shit, rather than right on the lens.
    Get's more distinct closer to the sun, or with a brighter sun type. Still a subtle effect though. Unable to add it go glass within the current shader code.

MUCH BETTER!
    good.

Actually looks like a shield now... now just bubble it ( you had to see this coming)
    good. no.

Couldn't tell the difference, but k :p
    Specular; these probably aren't things you would massively notice unless changing the shaders / textures in game next to each other.

This only applies to Hull blocks. Ships will pick up more sunlight on large sheets of flat hull.
    green = new. red = old.

GUI; this is a tiny nuance that bugged me.
    green = new. red = old.

Starsize:

Left, fixed. Right, old.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I should probably mention, this was a testing project. Not something that should be considered a "bug fix" nor indicative of future content. This Simply re-purposes existing code to try and achieve something else for a bit of fun, and exploring temporary options. It's not a drastic overhaul.
    ...Do you mean that this stuff isn't going to get implemented? Why? :P

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    ...Do you mean that this stuff isn't going to get implemented? Why? :p
    As temporary solutions, it's a possibility that we may build on this. That's why the tests happened. But what i wanted to avoid was people thinking these tests were indicative of our final vision or instead of potential particle effects, or that they would be put into the game "as is".

I'm covering my butt basically, and allowing players to test some stuff out themselves. ^^

Reactions: godmars
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    for the first time..since I started playing starmade,I turned on the dust particle effect,such a small change ,but one that makes so much difference. Bloom? The explosion? also amazing!!! one problem with a beam(which I like the new size) it appears there is only one sprite being displayed,its not 2 interlocked in X shape,so when you look from a certain point of view,it dissapears

but damn,this all made me soo happy! :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    its not 2 interlocked in X shape,so when you look from a certain point of view,it dissapears
    It's never been an X intersected object. If your ship is C aligned, the billboard effect wont follow to a horizontal plane.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The beams alone have made my day.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1456418227,1456417557][/DOUBLEPOST]

SO BEAUTIFUL

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Argh, cannot see Imgur images (at school atm); can't wait until I get home.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I love that the missile trails are no longer the exact shade as the flare, this makes them a lot better.

Beams for me seem to either be really nice or I can't see them at all. I am still also wondering why my beams and plumes don't look like everybody elses. I don't know if it's a setting I am missing or because of my graphics card.

Attachments

Reactions: SkylordLuke

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I love that the missile trails are no longer the exact shade as the flare, this makes them a lot better.

Beams for me seem to either be really nice or I can't see them at all. I am still also wondering why my beams and plumes don't look like everybody elses. I don't know if it's a setting I am missing or because of my graphics card.

I'll have a look at beams again. Thanks for the comparison!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Possibly AMD vs Nvidia hardware? I remember reading somewhere that some AMD hardware has trouble with GLSL values beyond 2 decimal places, might be something to look in to.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'll have a look at beams again. Thanks for the comparison!
    It's not just beams that I have this problem with, well at least the bland part. As long as I've been playing this game I've noticed my thruster plumes do not look like most screenshots of thrusters, it's especially noticeable when using the mod that extends them. In my plumes there seems to be less variation in the transparency so they show up solid and flat when others appear to have more depth.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That sounds like it's not applying the noise map to the effect. Weird.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Can't make the size payload dependent yet. So feck it, go big.
    Just tell Schema to make missiles and beams pass a size variable to their shaders. It can't be that complicated... can it? :P

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Oh my god yes! These beams are EXACTLY what I was looking for when I bothered the hell out of Criss to get something done about them. <3 you criss :3

The other stuff is also really welcome! The new lens flare looks so much better!!! Looks like I'll be turning on bloom from now on :D

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Just tell Schema to make missiles and beams pass a size variable to their shaders. It can't be that complicated... can it? :p
    Complicated or not, have you tried pouring more water into a completely full vessel? Even if it's only a little bit of water? It simply doesn't fit.
    Same goes for workload. :)

Oh my god yes! These beams are EXACTLY what I was looking for...
    Hopefully they work correctly, other have experienced issues... I'll check them out again when i have time. :)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Complicated or not, have you tried pouring more water into a completely full vessel? Even if it's only a little bit of water? It simply doesn't fit.
    2 other devs on the team aswell ;)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

Hopefully they work correctly, other have experienced issues... I'll check them out again when i have time. :)
    Even if they bug out a bit it's still way better than the current pseudo-beams (piss stream is an accurate comparison) we have now. It's beams of death and destruction ffs, not a super soaker xD.

Either way, I'll let you know if I encounter a bug or not. Keep up the great work!