Kupu's thread

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Can you show us that look in the other colors as shields get lower?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh shit, it's actually red and not purple! :O

Do those slight colour variations move about as it gets shot, along with the usual ripple?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Oh shit, it's actually red and not purple! :O

Do those slight colour variations move about as it gets shot, along with the usual ripple?
    Yea... took me longer than i'd care to admit to get an acceptable colour (i'm not a clever man). There is a secondary "highlight" colour in it, yes. This was in the previous one, just not set up in a way that made use of it.

The transition also shows a little earlier, so being at 30% shields will no longer look like 100%. Pure red iirc is about <10% (again, i'm not a clever man, so there could be some more fixes inbound for it).

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Yea, i liked the drab too. We also had a similar petition to have it removed, maybe i'll go somewhere in between so nobody's happy. :D
    I'll take another look at basic green.

I like to tinker every now and again and see if i can get a better result from existing assets.

It's not ground breaking, but i think it's better than what we had. What do you think, better or worse?
    Master_Artificer heads off to record himself shooting shields so he can compare the two effects.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Do you think there will be further enhancements to shield effects?

Personally I hope we can achieve some customization with them, or at least have them vary in one way or another.

If we ever see players and AI use shield drain/supply or Ion effect modules it would be nice to see a visual representation.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yea, i liked the drab too. We also had a similar petition to have it removed, maybe i'll go somewhere in between so nobody's happy. :D
    I'll take another look at basic green.

I like to tinker every now and again and see if i can get a better result from existing assets.

It's not ground breaking, but i think it's better than what we had. What do you think, better or worse?
    Master_Artificer I would love olive drab to be an option. My complaint against the green was that it didn't follow the same color scheme of all the others variants. Basic hulls tended to be bright and then there was blue and green which were really dull.

Reactions: Master_Artificer

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Do you think there will be further enhancements to shield effects?
    Maybe? There are no immediate plans for it though.

As for more advanced effects, or like the example you posted;

The current limiting factor we have here is the effect is applied on a per block basis. The texture is applied and then distorted per face of a cube. It doesn't take into account adjacent faces and incorporate them into the effect seamlessly. It only looks this way as i have a partially tillable texture and very little offset in the distortion. We don't have the luxury of simply distorting high res textures over a large prefab shape like most games would.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    We don't have the luxury of simply distorting high res textures over a large prefab shape like most games would.
    You know what would solve that? Bubble shields...

Seriously, nice, fairly low res, sphere that is scaled to the size of the ship. Doesn't need to be a high polly model as you see very little of it at a time, and as far as I am aware, no performance impact because resizing a 3d model and simple maths should be simple. every time I think about it, I can't not find a reason why bubble shields were laggy other than bad implementation. Maybe it was trying to generate the sphere model at runtime or some shit like that.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No thanks to bubble shields.

I think it would be cool if ionized shields threw out a different effect when hit.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Ah if only, for shields, and why not thruster plums, if only we couldlink them to a colored crystal or light like with weapons....

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    LoL. Not quite sure this is in Kupus domain but yeah a way to customize plumes and shields on a ship to ship basis would be amazing.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Oh yeah he of course would probably be the guy designing the graphics for the shields if we got options, but I don't think he is the guy to talk to about having those options.
    I see why, sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    No thanks to bubble shields.

I think it would be cool if ionized shields threw out a different effect when hit.
    Agreed shields with ion passive should look tougher perhaps with a constant ripple effect even when not being shot similar to EVE's old shield recharger attachments?

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Nice work kupu , that shield effect looks much better than the current one, it fits the newer texture them better, too! :D

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Nice work kupu , that shield effect looks much better than the current one, it fits the newer texture them better, too! :D
    :) Funny story... it's not 100% what i meant to put in the game. See, the shield distortion is controlled by another texture, which i have yet to add to the release version. This control texture happens to be tied to the missiles. So i suppose i should probably finish the cleaner missile sprites i was working on, ha!

Reactions: kiddan and Lecic
    Reaction score
    Hey kupu,
    there are two things that bother me and couldn't really find anything on the forum about.

Firstly, it would be great if you could fix this:
    Same problem with all color types of forcefields and all types of slabs.

Secondly, is it technically possible to make docked entities stop "glowing" in the dark?
    Also docked entities don't seem to cast a shadow:
    (the green light is behind the door)

Is there a solution for this? I hope so, because I hate plex doors :)