Kupu's thread

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    This is the perfect time to let everyone know that we are rebranding. From now on we are all going to be playing Hello Kitty Asteroid Adventure and I expect many a beautiful spaceship to be flown from here on out.

Reactions: kupu and Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is the perfect time to let everyone know that we are rebranding. From now on we are all going to be playing Hello Kitty Asteroid Adventure and I expect many a beautiful spaceship to be flown from here on out.
    Finally, I can get those rainbow-coloured sparkly engine trails I've always wanted! :D

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Pink Hull! Sweet!

...Might we perhaps get a Thrust Computer now that the thrust update is out? Pressing R on a thruster block already brings up the menu, so I'd assume that the needed code from Schema would be minimal. And it certainly would look better having a thrust computer on the bridge than a random thruster block :P

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets

First of all let me say excellent work Kupu, the new hull types have been really adding a lot to my building! Especially that amazing teal color!

I have one complaint though; this pink feels more like Magenta than actual pink, it adds nothing we couldn't already accomplish with purple. I was wondering why you didn't go with more of a pastel pink color?

We've got some blue-ish red hues with the Purple already, but nothing in the purely red / white department. plusnine's pack had some great examples of how nice white / red pink worked with the browns / whites / blacks / etc we already have. The Magenta hue just feels kind of off compared to our other more desaturated colors.

That being said; the pink glass is absolutely on point! I'll be using that now and for a long time to come I think.

Reactions: Rumcajz

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I was wondering why you didn't go with more of a pastel
    Out of the million colours available to me i decided this was categorically, the best option.... /sarcasm.

I take cues from the feedback i've previously had and the chroma of other colours currently in game. People tended to want stronger colours in the past, and while i've never strictly used a pastel in official textures, anything that gets washed out* gets a complaint.

The Magenta hue just feels kind of off compared to our other more desaturated colors.
    Well, let's simply compare them together at face value.

None of the other colours have as much white in them as that pastel you linked. Infact, that pastel has more white in it than our white does. I'm not kidding either. ^^

Basic white hull. R 177 G 177 B 177
    Pastel Pink. R 255 G 209 B 220

Here are some quick references for our blue red and yellow (+ pink) basic hull colours compared to the same pastel.

*This is why i didn't add a pastel in on it's immediate implementation. Because light does things to colour in Starmade, everything is additive. The colours will be brighter in-game than on the texture sheet or swatches shown here. I'd rather get something immediately usable in the game and crowd source the fine tuning (like we're doing now) here in this thread, as opposed to taking a week trying to get a perfect colour on a continually changing canvas.

This block will receive the same treatment as all others have. In a month or so of it in the game i'll assess all the feedback, my own included, then make changes.

Hole in ones are rare, after all. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sooo, make it at least as light as yellow and add a little a lot of grey a lot less saturation then?

Also why did you put the 'base' color for pink (a.k.a. light red) almost smack dead in the middle of the magenta area...

Last edited:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Also why did you put the 'base' color for pink (a.k.a. light red) almost smack dead in the middle of the magenta area...
    Because if you are staying in the same chroma and value range, you change the hue.

The first, quick "pink" hull implemented was kept in the same rough chroma / value range.

I'm terrible at explaining things, maybe that didn't come across in the previous post?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Because if you are staying in the same chroma and value range, you change the hue.

The first, quick "pink" hull implemented was kept in the same rough chroma / value range.

I'm terrible at explaining things, maybe that didn't come across in the previous post?
    I was saying your pink uses a EDIT: hue and chroma value that is pretty strongly magenta especially when darkened like this; pink is generally somewhere further in the red/magenta-ish red. (Also a lot lighter...)

(That light magenta-y color actually has almost the same hue value (312) as SM pink (313)... which is probably why it looks so... purple :/ )

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    FF7FC1 is about the shade of pink I was imaging for pink hull, personally.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    How about #FFAABB ? It's #FFABBUULLOOUUSS!
    ...Kidding, of course; too light.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I was saying your pink uses a chroma value that is pretty strongly magenta especially when darkened like this; pink is generally somewhere further in the red/magenta-ish red. (Also a lot lighter...)

I feel like we're hitting a wall somewhere. :D

Yes, i am aware of what shade of pink you want (and duly noted for future tweaks). I was also aware of the many "aqua" "powder blue" "cyan" and "turquoises" people were describing when i proposed "teal".

In very basic terms, our hulls are first and foremost fleshing out a colour wheel.

There is no "pink" as you are describing here, because you add white to get it. Pink as it stands right now sits between purple and red.

Pressed for time, i keep the chroma and value roughly the same as other hull colours because i know these produce results that don't burn retinas. The time for tweaking these come later rather than hold up a release cycle for pink hulls ^^

It is very magenta in colour. But i called it pink the same reason i called teal, teal. Using umbrella terms is just easier so no matter what tweaks we make further along, people with the most simple understanding of colour will know pink sits somewhere between red and purple.

So with "reasons" and naming out of the way. On to the constructive stuff!

I'll post up some samples of colours tomorrow when i have time to work on them, we have a little discussion and see which we think is the most all round inclusive hull colour. After a few weeks of thoughts and building with them, we can make the change.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yay! Sounds good. And I meant hue, not chroma. Lol.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450650061,1450649926][/DOUBLEPOST]That said, the chroma value is about half the problem too...

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I think what we really need for Christmas is a dark red and a dark green.
    DARK RED DARK RED DARK RED DARK RED. NOW BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR TEH SKULL THRONE I NEED MY DARK RED

AAAAAHHHH DARK RED NOW \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/ \M/

*cough* in a seriousness I think dark red would be a much needed requirement for making ships have BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

I like painting in blood if you cannot tell

Reactions: nightrune

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Red and Green standard are already pretty dark...