Is there any way to delete logic tubes from files?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As many people don't have a problem with logic tubes because their logic doesn't contain 500+ tubes,
    having an option to turn it off is not priority on the list of updates.
    My question, Is there a way I can delete the visual existence/total existence of tubes from my files, and then play the game?
    It would be my solution until the problem is higher on the update list.
    I think it would make the difference between 1~2 hours work and 5 hours work
    I literally can't see anything else but wires, I now use the little text of the hud to guide me, just above the toolbar when hovering over a block in build mode. And when I say guide, I mean the kind of guide that a compass would do when lost in a city, you know where you don't have to go.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    suggestion: release a dev update with wires deleted, call it, update for crazy logic people, then people who want to build without wires can install that version. shouldn't take more than 15 minutes I believe, if you don't count releasing the update xD

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Well, we have a way to display all connections for debug purposes.

G_DRAW_ALL_CONNECTIONS = false
    in settings.cfg

but the option to not display them at all is not present.
    However 500+ is not that much, and "good" layouts prevent cluttering the view.
    Its sort of an art to keep your wires hidden, and what if someone without that option turned on (or alike) joins your game it could be very messy when you do not care about the connections any more.

In theory, you can delete all pipes, but this also means wiping all the logic in the entity, and I think that is not what you want.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well I wasn't really waiting for the answer you should just place it better.
    As I said before, many people find the wires supporting, they don't use them a lot at a place of 80x80x40
    I'm making a game, and for the sake of bug fixing, I need it organised: memory cells there, keep those apart from those memory cells,
    that belongs to that part of the game, that should still be accessible for me to connect wires etc. if you have so many things you can't compact them really well, though I did way better as my last game. I made it as compact as I could, no wires are visible for the players. I know the art of keeping stuff hidden, but that's for stuff like doors, lights and rails, where you need a max of say 100 connections all you need is a little layer between the walls, sometimes not even a little layer.

1 thing that is getting annoying too, I believe that the wire animation is slowing down the game a bit (at the amount I'm at) if I log into starmade, it takes about 5 minutes before my logic stuff starts responding to inputs after that everything works like it should. (and no it's not my circuit, it's more like a button not responding to my input)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have been going on and on about the needed death of logic pipes.

My terminal project has actually been put on hold until we get an option for removing logic pipe rendering.

I can have two planets loaded and several massive ships around them with no frame drop, now compare that to say, looking at some sections of my terminal and it brings me down to 10-15 frames. (No actual logic pipes are even visible outside of the rather neatly laid out block)

Now the real issues here is visibility, we (HolyCookie and I, possibly others) can not see what we are doing there are that many pipes in some of our complicated areas. This is not an issue that can be fixed by "Use a layout where they are hidden" that is simply not possible 100% of the time, and quite frankly I am sick and tired of hearing that excuse.

Now to give you at least some idea of the scale I am talking about.
    One of the several sections of my terminal is the display code page, on its main body is 128 groups, each group has more than 51 pipes depending on what it is, but there are none with less than 51. (There would have been an additional 43 pipes per group but I was able to eliminate those by virtue of adjacent linked blocks not drawing pipes)

So on the main body of the code page, not taking into account any other sections of it I have over 6528 logic pipes.
    The code page is roughly 1/4 of build, and I did not even bother to calculate all of its pipe count, so when I say I need an option to remove the rendering of logic pipes, I definitely dont need someone to tell me to "change your layout to accommodate them".

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I guess I can say that you just told my inner feelings.

1 way to decrease it: make it like block textures, right now wires are even rendering when inside a block.
    2 at graphics give a limit of wire option, the same idea as render distance or max missiles.
    3 update a dev version for that has no wires

I'm making something complicated if you compare it to the whole community, Aynslei is making something insanely impossible, if I have trouble with my logic stuff on a server, imagine how long he has to wait for his logic to work. Right now you are Ignoring a problem, one that might not seem big and only for a minority but a problem is a problem, and this one is easy, very freaking easy. you already wasted more time reading and typing this thread that you could have solved the problem. 15 minutes and we can get back to work on a dev version, a bit more time and people can actually use that terminal

little question:
    What happened to the "shift V" selection for logic gates? I swear it was once in the game like with weapon systems shift V
    I'd like to have it back.

little suggestion:
    When you select a logic block with C, all wires that go to the logic block are highlighted with (insert colour) and all wires that come from the logic block are highlighted with (insert different colour).
    when you misplaced a gate and you want to replace it somewhere else, you have to know what wires are connected to it, with highlighting it would be a lot easier. this would then also be the only reason I'd have to have wires on, besides the fact that it is useful in battles where the wires are rendered with an infinite distance giving the location of the enemy.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I don't use as much logic as these guys and others do but I can tell you that there are some logic setups where changing their setup either isn't an option or doesn't deal with the issue at all.

Also I'm with Cookie, What Happened to the Shift V for logic? I Know full well it was there early and it is like it was lost this update or slowly as time went on. o_O

Reaction score
    15 minutes and we can get back to work on a dev version, a bit more time and people can actually use that terminal
    I have no idea what 'terminal' you're talking about; if it's a part of your personal project, it seems a bit much to ask for a private dev version, and quite pretentious to tell Schema how much work it is or isn't.

little suggestion:
    When you select a logic block with C, all wires that go to the logic block are highlighted with (insert colour) and all wires that come from the logic block are highlighted with (insert different colour).
    when you misplaced a gate and you want to replace it somewhere else, you have to know what wires are connected to it, with highlighting it would be a lot easier.
    I can get behind that, seeing what connections go into a block is at least as useful as seeing which connections originate from of it.

this would then also be the only reason I'd have to have wires on, besides the fact that it is useful in battles where the wires are rendered with an infinite distance giving the location of the enemy.
    I do actually use them quite a bit for design purposes, and would at least hope for an alternative way to include a similar effect. I wouldn't want to need an extra (new) block with no other purpose than to achieve the same effect. If it could be done with some kind of 'alternative' connection mode, say by 'connecting' any two blocks by pressing shift-b instead, I think I could live with that, and might even prefer it.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I have no idea what 'terminal' you're talking about; if it's a part of your personal project, it seems a bit much to ask for a private dev version, and quite pretentious to tell Schema how much work it is or isn't.
    The terminal isn't my project, it's Aynslei. I'm not sure what kind of terminal either, but 6528+ wires seems like some sort of computer-like thing. Stopping people from doing what they like because of a thing that can easily be fixed would be ignorant and mean.

I'm not a programmer but I know how much time it takes to get out all bounties from a mix of snickers Mars and milkyway (the chocolate bars) it doesn't take long, same thing here, all they would do is open the files, find the wire file, delete it, upload version. I think 15 minutes could even be a bit too long. Only thing that would take long is uploading it. I've tried to delete some file called tube, but when I started
    started starmade singleplayer it said error nullpointer exception or something, I don't even know what the file is called, they do, it took me 10 minutes, then for them it would take shorter.

I do actually use them quite a bit for design purposes, and would at least hope for an alternative way to include a similar effect. I wouldn't want to need an extra (new) block with no other purpose than to achieve the same effect. If it could be done with some kind of 'alternative' connection mode, say by 'connecting' any two blocks by pressing shift-b instead, I think I could live with that, and might even prefer it.
    don't worry, only a few people will stop seeing the decoration. those people would be mad logic creators, and crazy ones because they are then making a big logic creation in a multiplayer server. Graphics options are different per server right (like 1 server I have 100 segments view, the other one I have 5000 segment view) so I wouldn't even need the option in multiplayer because I don't trust a server, they crash and corrupt files from time to time. So actually, your creation would be 99% (of the time that you meet someone) the same for everyone.

Croquelune

An Imaginary Number's officer
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Pipes are useless, unesthethics and low down performance of old computers. Period.

It should be just an on/off option of build mode per axe plans. Imho.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm sure we could come up with a decorative block(s) for those that want to pipes to make a decoration. That'd kill the issue of people wanting to use the pipes for decoration since they'd have a block for it and the devs could turn off the pipes on logic. :)

Reaction score
    I'm sure we could come up with a decorative block(s) for those that want to pipes to make a decoration. That'd kill the issue of people wanting to use the pipes for decoration since they'd have a block for it and the devs could turn off the pipes on logic. :)
    This is exactly what I want to avoid - having an otherwise useless extra block. Please read my previous post above.

Croquelune

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yep but when I played SM with my very old computer they were a real plague. My fps drop to 50~75% when logic animated pipes were on screen, even hide inside blocks. It's a real issue for the low computers.

(off-topic: Can you show few examples of pipes decorations ? I'm quite curious because apart from stars/pentagram or power generator I really don't see how I could use it "nicely" on my structures. It could open my eyes on hidden possibilities.)

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Well, I see the problem in complex logic builds, and its a pain for me since I started fiddling around with them.

For reference:
    T193 - Very slow logic rebuild

This was already imported from redmine.

Sorry, Aynslei the sentence about "change your layout to accomodate them" was meant for regular use in ships. For large projects they usually do not really matter, as you (or at least I) learn to orient in the circuit based on the pipe groups between the modules.

As "all wireless" logic is on one hand way harder to debug, and also defeats the purpose of having to wire stuff up to not clutter the decoration.
    I see it as like a challenge to hide them in the ship walls. (Good example is the USD from Bench)

I know exactly what holycookie (and others) mean, as I also built a few systems that take 20-25 minutes to become operational (at least partially), fully working after 30+ minutes, and yes its a pain, but its not in any relation to the logic pipes itself or their drawing time.
    Its seems to be orginating in the way logic systems work. And I am not 100% sure about all details, but it feels like it works like a logic-table, with input and output states in relations. And this table/tree or whatever it is internally, takes much longer with high complexity of the circuit.

I do agree that there should be some way to disable them, possibly in build mode only, to allow building without them being in the way, but their FPS impact is low, and even my old computer needed above 5000 of them to have a noticeable FPS drop. (Screen: 1366x768 average FPS: 15-30), They are kept very simple for rendering and should not apply too much additional load.
    However, we considered checking if a logic pipe is running through solid blocks only, and skip display if it does not touch air.
    Idea seemed good, but as a result on every blockchange you have to recalculate ALL logic pipe positions and raywalk through every block they pass to see if their status changed or parts of it now hit air.
    Impractical, and the benefit of the skipped pipes is lost several times in recalculating the pipes every few seconds.

So, once the logic init phase is fixed it will be way better, but for now we cannot do much about it, and anything in higher complexity needs a freaking pile patience.
    Already tried that in different setups, and put everything in "smaller" submodules (docked or circuit wise isolated by rail movement control instead of direct link) to reduce the overall complexity to smaller units, and not have one huge wire-network, but did not have any advantage. (Felt worse to be honest...)

The shift+v to logic was only possible for activator -> door or light relations. Not to groups of logic gates.

However, its not easy to implement "just a dev build in 15 minutes" to fix all that problems, if it would we had done that long time before.
    I personally like complex stuff too,
    and cant wait until large logic systems are practical,
    but as you already noticed:
    Those that use it to that extend are rare, and the amount of time already invested in trying to benchmark this (yes poked schema a lot about this topic, possibly more than I should....), is very high, but did not yet yield the result we can live with, but for the sake of the game itself, we have to accept for now, that other components also need care and work done.

However, an option to disable all pipes in build mode, should be something that may help with design in other areas too.

- Andy

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    ^ Basically all what Andy said above.

I'm not a programmer but I know how much time it takes to get out all bounties from a mix of snickers Mars and milkyway (the chocolate bars) it doesn't take long, same thing here, all they would do is open the files, find the wire file, delete it, upload version. I think 15 minutes could even be a bit too long.
    Actually compiling the last build for release took a bit over 50 minutes; so regardless of the speed of making any change, your're looking at at least an hour not including upload time.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    ^ Basically all what Andy said above.

Actually compiling the last build for release took a bit over 50 minutes; so regardless of the speed of making any change, your're looking at at least an hour not including upload time.
    Not to forget, that (since the connections are drawn) the game would either crash or even fail to start with the related files removed. Unless someone was to replace them to not do anything.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thank you for the response.

I had noticed the large time it took to actually load all the machines logic to a point where it will function, but from the scale I have used it at it is actually pretty fast to load all things considered.

Actually using it also works considerably well, so i just want to point out that as far as performance wise logic in-game functions much better than it did several months ago.

The improvements made to the copy/paste of logic blocks is also much appreciated. (As a personal rule of thumb now if a logic circuit cant be copy/pasted I probably need to rework it anyway :) )

I am confident that Schine will take logic in the right direction based on their past choices.

Being able to turn off logic pipes in build mode would probably be the best idea to get visibility back into the complex areas.
    As for the idea about checking if the pipes hit air, have you thought about only drawing them if either block has a face drawn/exposed?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm satisfied with the information. Thanks for the care that you gave to the last answers, can now give it some peace, and get rid of some ideas that now seem insanely stupid.

As Aynslei already said, thank you so much for the copy/past fixes on logic, it feels like the dev team wasn't given enough credits for fixing that.
    I did find a little problem, when I beginning my project, I needed 200 memory cells, so I placed 100 with copy past, then copied that and tried placing that perfect, using undo button a lot, an hour later I found out that the undo paste and undo fked up my memory cells. Something is wrong there. Just reporting it now I think of it, it only took me an hour to recover the damage (not sarcasm really didn't care) I think it's some rare thing that happens when you use undo and redo a lot.

thanks again for the explanation, I'd be more than happy with a no-wire build mode option.

Croquelune

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Thanks you Andy for had taken the time to reply properly. I had to clarify myself also because by re-read my the 2 short answers I've done above, it might look like as complaints of a capricious kid. But it isn't, they're statements from my observations, my feelings and experience of the game. It'll maybe long and annoying to read but I think it worth it since I explain why keeping this pipes at their actual state would a big mistake from Schine.

As "all wireless" logic is on one hand way harder to debug, and also defeats the purpose of having to wire stuff up to not clutter the decoration.
    I see it as like a challenge to hide them in the ship walls. (Good example is the USD from Bench)
    We can afford it when we're building fairly substantial size structures. But I am actually working on fighter/corvette size things which suppose to be extremely compact things, where you can't afford 3 blocks wall thicks or 2x2 pillars in middle of a room.
    When you build a big fat battleship, the main question is "How I will fill all that empty space" you are not at "no more than 20-50 blocks", but in contrary for little one is how not to uselessly clutter it and how to maximize its capacity ; and for that one every each blocks count.

And actually there are just 3 choices for small structures :

1) Put logic, keep it simple and protected, but ugly.
    The player is able to maximize his ship logic utility/defense ratio and render it effective but may sacrifice its interior RP stuff by blue pipes accross everywhere.

2) Put logic, keep it nice, but complex and exposed.
    The player would hide the tube to keep his ship interior RP-able but may have to add logic complexity (i.e. derivation, elbows) and sacrifice the ship integrity (put some logic block visible). And I insist on it : more and more we bring complexity in logic system, more and more we render the logic system weak and vulnerable. What would happen if I shot and destroy just one of that button block from the USD you showed us as example ? I bet the whole system would be messed up. So if it concern accessory fancy stuffs, well it's not a big deal but if it's concern some weapons or defenses mechanics it's another thing.

3) Make a cross on the logic.
    No logics, no pipes, no problem. Beautiful ship but no means to do utility or fancy stuff.

According your answer it's not a bug, it's an "enjoyable" feature (at least for you). But it's not because you find this funny to hide than others will find this funny aswell, nor transform this in "enjoyable" feature. Well let me explain why, in their actual states, I see it (that pipe thing) as a bunch of crap I'm forced to deal with.

Why I perceive them like that for now ?

Since it's in total contradiction with SM universe lore.

The game take places in an absolutely angular and cubic world. I consider, from ingame point of view, that pipes existence as a breach of the assumed physics laws of that imaginary world, namely "cubes and edges only". This obvious transgression of that implicite rule have absolutly no justifications since even our capsule objects, paint tanks and real ingame pipes & conduits — which are suppose to be real tubular things in that world — are just texture or crossed flat plans on/in block but in any case : are cubes (and so enforce this rule).
    So if this ingame items, supposed to be tubular things, are not even close to the "real tubularity" of the logic linkages how convince my mind these logic linkages are not a petrol stain in the pool where I'm swimming in ?
    The all cubes and edges bring to StarMade (as per Minecraft or Space Engineer) that jagged rendering caracteristic to this game, its cachet ; it make its proper identity, its consistency. But here come the logic pipes visuals, a total graphic nonsense in that world. Why this pipe is cube and that pipe tubular ? No idea, no rational justification.
    Because the actual fact is : pipes exist in Starmade but are rendered in two totally different way, and it, in totally arbitrarily manners. One respect the build mode construction path and limits (x, y, z block grid) ; the other one no, and can pass through it in any how way.
    It's a huge barrier to immersion. I assumed it was a cubic world but what a surprise to have also to deal with some junk tubes which looks like coming from another dimension ; it's like if they were some smooth flashy diagonal lines in pixel art creations = 2 things which not match together (pixel =/= smooth ; cube =/= tube)
    Each time time I encounter a logic pipe it's as if I was playing a game with a background of Pirates of the Caribbean and suddenly just saw some Star Trek ships that rises diagonally from the sea to fly in the sky or plunge into the sea and all that without creating any waves or interacting with this pirate universe in any other way that just appearing and be there, in your sight ; all of this without real way to contain them without adding more Star Trek ships hidden in the sea or behind the moon (it's more or less the solution you exposed to us).
    In conclusion, the actual situation breaks the graphical harmony of the game, it's homogeneity and so, the more important, it's consistency. And lack of consistency is always a source of reproachs, never source of praises in game world so you shouldn't underestimate it (especially when incoherent games are solely represented by bad games).

Since this snitch nodal points of your ship system.

Actually, add logic circuits in ships or stations are good way to say to your oppenents : "Aim here and there to bother me". There is no benefit to adding them the sum of constraints bring by actual logic system is greater than the sum of its benefits. If the goal of StarMade is to punish player's creativity and reduce design's diversity then keep going ahead in this way.

Since that tubes are hideous and useless.

If it was not the case, most players wouldn't bother themselves to hide its or asking to remove it.
    Why use a horrible shining blue that stands out so much with the rest of SM textures and colors ? (even blue ship don't match with it)
    Why not use a matte grey, black or any neutral color which could be associated easely to any other colors in SM universe ?
    Forementionned reasons you can't use it properly as decoration.
    On bad ass folding ship with rail implementation this tubes act like ridiculous rubber band moving randomly accross ship. How you hide this ? Put block everywhere on their path ?
    If at least the logic tubes follow a minimum the build grid (like water or subways in Sim City 2000 like here). It would be better integrate to the context and therefore more manageable and acceptable, but it isn't.

Since this constraint bring in return absolutely nothing to the gameplay it can't be considered as a feature.

I don't like have to hide it because Starmade don't make me feel the need to hide it. Technically I have absolutely no advantage to hide it, it's bring me just more issues (cf. forementionned complexity). The only justification for hiding it is aesthetical, so I feel like if I have to choose between rational system or beauty and I hate that's cause of course I want make both !
    Hide it cause of its uglyness isn't fun at all cause I feel more like force to find amateur-handmade solution to a problem coming from upstream, from the software conception itself — since their ingame existence are unjustified —, than solve a puzzle or enigma ; I can say "fuck that pipe" and go ahead by letting the ugly stuff in middle of way without any counterpart or penalty.
    Seriously, who would enjoy have to hide a hole in their house with paints, posters or whatever pieces of furniture because the guys who built the house were poorly done the work on that part of the wall and don't intend to plug the hole with proper thing like plaster ?
    It's totally how I feel it's looks like right now.
    So when the workers answer to you "have fun to deal with it", no offense, but I feel it a bit like a piss-take. If it would bring something ingame, if the player could interact with, if we got any penalty to let them apparent, ok, I'll be able to accept their existence and deal with it and work to solve the puzzle since i would have a real reason to hide it.

Few ideas that could help reticents players (like me) to accept this linkages :

If you do not intend to remove them from normal mode (or at least to permit players to hide them with an option as requested here), then please consider this solutions :

1) Treat their uglyness, make them match with the rest of the SM universe. (==> solve the "universe consistency" issue & the "hideous" issue, reduce the whining of 50%)

Instead of that ugly pipes why not use crossed flat strips with lightning texture ? Or even laser actual graphics ? Or light ray.
    It'll look like nicer, it'll make sense since we can assume that logic are bound by electric/energy arks. It will integrate this bindings to StarmMade universe lore since they wouldn't be represent and identify as an opaque unknown pipe out of nowhere but as something clearly transmitting energy/signals. Eventually we could use it as decoration.

2) Justify their existences ; bring them back from the abstract 4th dimension to the reality of SM world. (==> solve the "gameplay" issue)

Actually their existence are totally abstract, the only link to the reality of SM world is "to be there", "be visible" and messing around, that's all. They don't emit light, they don't obstruct path, they do nothing but obstruct th view and piss off perfectionnist players who don't like them. Neglected players can just say "fuck that" and ignore them, they won't even bother to considerate them when they build.
    Change that. Force us to consider that bindings. Encourage us to hide them then. How ?
    If you apply the forementionned solution (1) (electric arks, lasers, etc.), it will be totally justified that bindings could make damage to players (like the lava block). Here we'll have a clear reason to hide it and to consider it during the conception : their dangerousness. We could be able also to find them some utility in trap or anti-intruders system.

3) Bring more tubularity in SM universe, let players to be able to craft things with tube aswell. (==> solve the "consistency" issue)

Changing blocks supposed to represent cylindrical objects into something that looks like cylinder, as this logic pipes does.
    I have already read suggestion about round coins and corners blocks, as soon as logic pipes are already here and breach the "all cubes and egdes rule" I can't see what could thwart this proposal anymore.
    Eventually, after long hours of brainstorming I found some uses of pipes things (but not as their actual shitty blue state). So let allow player to create tubular linkages as well by linking hull part for example, or lights. They should be able to create some good things with it and there only tubes could be considered as feature of StarMade but not before.

I do agree that there should be some way to disable them, possibly in build mode only, to allow building without them being in the way, but their FPS impact is low, and even my old computer needed above 5000 of them to have a noticeable FPS drop. (Screen: 1366x768 average FPS: 15-30), They are kept very simple for rendering and should not apply too much additional load.

What was the config of your old computer ? Because my former old computer with OpenGL 3 Capable Graphics card and all rest of the minimum prerequisite couldn't handle StarMade when I was near to huge stations OR logic bindings (screen 1064x768 drop to 1-4 FPS) when big station or bindings were on the screen sights.
    Off-topic : By the way keeping that minimum required on steam with the actual state of Starmade would be a shameless lie. You should update the minimum to the actual recommended config imo. Because if a guy purchase the game with this config and can't play it then it will be bad advertisement for sure.

Last edited:

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Glad this information helped to understand the situation a bit.

Croquelune, in some way you are totally right, the way they are drawn and their kind of ugly look if not being laid out in perfect patterns is not conform with the rest of starmade.
    My old computer had a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M as video card (dual-gpu setup with intel),
    well my FPS did drop on large objects too, but not to 1-2, this is most likely a sign of having a too high "max drawn segments", a setting most players underestimate in the influence for the total video demand.

With that card I had to put max drawn segments to 3000, shadows off, AA off, procedural background to lowest possible option (but not off), debris off.
    The problem with that max drawn segments setting is:
    When you are in empty space, you are almost always below the set limit, and the video card can handle 500-1.200 segments without much trouble. So you are tempted to raise the setting and see no difference. Possibly ending at 20.000 and not seeing any impact by it.
    Then you visit a planet or a large station, and the video card that used to handle 500-1.200 segments, and gpu power for like 3.000 segments, gets stomped by the task to draw 20.000 of them. What happens? Right, you blame planets for being laggy.
    So to adjust my max drawn segments to a value my video card can handle, I visited a big planet, and waited until the generation finished and no more chunks got generated.
    Now I started adjusting the max drawn segments to have the FPS at a level I feel comfortable to play with.
    As I am not that sensitive to low fps, so I let it fall down to 15-20FPS and kept the value there while flying around the planet.
    In empty space (or with a shop only or small station) I still had 45-60fps, but yeah this does not show anything.

From that day, large ships or overcrowded sectors with ships were not an issue anymore, as my video card never got in trouble again.
    Okay, planets dropped my fps to 10-15 while loading/generating, as the added cpu load seemed to influence also the video performance.

However, back to the core problem:
    The current pipes are if I understood correctly a very very simple rendering object, that does not stress video cards a lot, making them beautiful also means: if they now take 0.01ms to render, and you render 1000 of them, you are at 10ms per frame for the pipes. If they take 0.1ms to render after making them beautiful, and you have to render 1000 of them, you are already at 100ms per frame for the pipes. (this would already limit the framerate to 10fps, disregarding all other stuff to draw.....

So as they are used THAT much and everywhere, it would backfire to make them look better.

Same for the raywalk to make them visible when they hit at least one air<->solid transition, would still require to update every single pipe in a ship for every block change. (as you cannot really keep an index of logic occupied blocks that trigger the update without creating an insane size data structure only for that purpose.)

To counter all this in total, I personally would totally disable all wireless options and limit it to 3-5 blocks in distance,
    and also alter the system to a system like the red-power-2 mod for minecraft, and have a bus line-system as backbone.

So to explain this idea a bit: have the currently only decorative wire act as a "backbone" for your logic.
    And have it with a very very limited range (3-5 blocks) wireless.
    To route a cable through your ship, you would for example place a chain of wire-decoratives along the ship.
    Now you place a button, and link it to the wire-bus. you can set a name for it.
    If you need a wire from the bus, you hit C on the wire and V on a light for example,
    then it shows a list of available inputs to choose from. and you can select it from there.
    (To give it some realism the wire decorative can be used in "slab form" and a low profile variant can hold 16 named signals, a full block like 128 or so, to also limit the dropdown list to something sane)
    So for a small room, you would only place a button, one wire, and one light (button + light in range of wire)
    and then you can jump button->wire->light and have an easy to use system. ^^

Currently the pipes represent the exact way the logic works, events crawl along the modules by forwading events. This does not require much global metadata, except the logic links itself. Those wires would need groups and alike to function properly and not sure if that would work out well, or if this is only my personal wish to have complexity.
    The Sim-city approach to switch to a logic view also sounds interesting, and could be close to my approach, when using the view to have the "wire-backbone" showing a visible range and what logic blocks are covered by the network and color them to groups, while logic blocks without any color would then be the ones out of any wire range, and can only operate in their low allowed wireless range. (like a button + light in 3-5 block range can still be wired directly.) However, those are pretty deep changes to the way logic works, and in some way I am happy how reliable it works recently. (With only a few perks, like loading times, and race conditions on signals with same gate count in between...)
    So it may be something for a later mod, or possibly a logic overhaul (as far as I know no plans for that in sight, so very unlikely).

So in summary, I am not fully satisfied with the way they work now, and they should get more restrictions in my opinion, as the "unllimited range any-to-any linking" feels OP to most other logic systems in games I liked. ^^

The minimal requirements are sort of really minimum, and you can most likely only play multiplayer with a system on the limit, as server+client is too much then, however on every way to buy the game, there is a notice about the demo and as this is an alpha game you should try the demo first. (And also the notice that we can not and will not guarantee the final product will run on your hardware.)
    So, yeah, the min requirements are optimistic, but not that unrealistic. Going below the stated minimal requirements for a game usually means the support team/helpdesk refuses to help you, but in our case any system gets a least a look and attempt to troubleshoot the problem. And quite a few systems that didn't look promising, were able to at least play the game. (Very reduced video settings, low fps and low max drawn segments, but at least it worked...), sure on the other hand, some others with performance wise "ok" video card fail due to drivers not being maintained by the manufacturer.

- Andy

Last edited:
    Reactions: Croquelune