Is there an easier way to perform a raildock?

Reaction score
    That last bit makes it sound like a different issue, I don't know it's bug number, but it's the one where things docked to an entity are "saved" as part of a different sector than the entity they're docked to.

The last I'd heard, that normally only happens when you're "near" a sector border. (and zero mention of how many meters is "near" the border)

I've met and wrangled with this particular error before, and the only solution I discovered was to move the ship (and/or station) to an empty sector, and very carefully place it in the dead center of said sector.

Allso, planets bork everything, so don't put a shipyard in the planet sector.

Reaction score
    Again, there is no shipyard involved. In any case, there is much work to be done, and even more outside the game environment =), so I can wait for quite a long time, before a need for the fix will arise.

Reaction score
    I don't get why you are using a ship to move around inside your ship in the first place.

I used to park mini ships just so I could hop between areas but then I switched to the teleporters. couldn't you have a tiny hidden hole or like a secret door with a wireless logic? like hidden door leading to a parking place, and then once you parked you could use the arrows until you were in the ship you wanted to be in, or just have a transporter in the hidden docking area

Reaction score
    Ravenskysong
    The issue does not appear, from the provided screenshots, to be a matter of Transportation within the ship.

Rather, he seems to want semi-articulated components attached to his ship, but the docking points are a colossal pain in the ass for him to reach.

Without an absurd re-design of the ship, there's no good way for him to work on it.

TANGENT:
    Think of it rather like replacing the engines in a normal naval vessel. Those Engines are far, far, far bigger than the doors available to remove them with, and then you have the SAME problem for the new engines they've been replaced with.
    The "real world" solution is normally "cut the ship in half, that's what we 'ave a dry-dock for"

StarMade can't do that, yet. Sure, you can indeed cut the ship in half. But it won't help. Because to StarMade, the "separate halves" aren't separate at all. They're the same damnned entity as far as motion and editing are concerned, they simply don't have blocks connecting them.

He'd only be destroying his ship for no real effect.

ON TOPIC:
    The one solution I could propose, is either having a trusted assistant actually do the docking, whilst you clear the zone with area-removal of blocks:
    Or, run two instances of Starmade at once, and use the second one to do the afore-mentioned block removal.

Neither is an "ideal" solution, but it doesn't appear that there will be one. :confused:

Reaction score
    True, but it forces the core to be directly under the docker, and that in unacceptable as it should be hidden due to its out-of-place look.

Here are some screenshots.
    First one (003) shows an entity that should be docked. Red light represents a Rail Docker block, as the entity comes from the blueprint and the docker should point to different directions in some cases due to the action symmetry requirements.
    The others represent a close-up sequence, showing where the rails actually are. And that is only one occasion from many planned.

P.S: Ship's part looks unfinished (and it really is), but it already took like 30 hours to build...
    View attachment 21408 View attachment 21412 View attachment 21410 View attachment 21411
    I have done this recently to build lift systems and doors without flying them around. You do not need to place the core under the docking unit. U can place it anywhere u like

Reaction score
    Ravenskysong
    The issue does not appear, from the provided screenshots, to be a matter of Transportation within the ship.

Rather, he seems to want semi-articulated components attached to his ship, but the docking points are a colossal pain in the ass for him to reach.

Without an absurd re-design of the ship, there's no good way for him to work on it.
    It would be possible to copy a huge area in advanced build mode, then delete that huge area (and smack a massive hole in the side of the ship), then fly the pieces into their places and dock them; then paste the huge area back how it was. You'd want to be careful though (wouldn't want the game crashing after you cut the hole, and wouldn't want to cut something like a rail used by an already docked entity).

The other insane thought I had was jump drives - carefully position the entity exactly 1 sector in front of the ship, then use jump drive to jump the ship forward 1 sector, so it ends up "around" the entity. I'm not sure if this idea is just insane, or if it's impossible due to collision checks or something.

Reaction score
    The other insane thought I had was jump drives - carefully position the entity exactly 1 sector in front of the ship, then use jump drive to jump the ship forward 1 sector, so it ends up "around" the entity. I'm not sure if this idea is just insane, or if it's impossible due to collision checks or something.
    The staggering difficulty involved is the problem there.
    We don't have the precision, nor the measurement tools needed, to line-up properly for that manner of witchery.

If we did, I'd be using and abusing it. EX: jumping a colossus of warheads into an enemy ship.
    Come to think of it, that example is likely the reason we don't have the tools to do that with any real degree of accuracy.

It would be possible to copy a huge area in advanced build mode, then delete that huge area (and smack a massive hole in the side of the ship), then fly the pieces into their places and dock them; then paste the huge area back how it was. You'd want to be careful though (wouldn't want the game crashing after you cut the hole, and wouldn't want to cut something like a rail used by an already docked entity).
    That's the difficulty here.

We the players, do not yet have the ability to selectively ignore block-types for removal.
    We can limit removal to one type (color counts as type too, so it's absurdly limited), but that doesn't help here.

He'd need to be able to yank everything BUT the rail-components, and the game just doesn't have that functionality.

Wish it did though.

Lemme go looking, see if it's been suggested or not.

EDIT:
    Huh, turns out this feature hadn't been suggested (that i could find with a quick search anyway)
    So I went and did suggest it.
    HERE

Last edited: