Is precise angle control possible?

Reaction score
    I am new noob here, so bare with me posting into GD instead of "Logic" subforum, as well as this question may been asked already.

I've been thinking if there is a way to make an angle less than 45 degrees?
    Why: I want to make smooth ring station, made out of similar segments, docked to each other at a small degree.

Is the idea/mechanic possible? The only thing coming to my head (I've never done rails before, last time I've played before they were introduced) is to rotate a 45 degree block on a small speed and turn it off half-way through. Will that create a smaller angle, or block will still rotate untill it is 45 deg. even without logic input? (I guess this will actually happen).

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I am guessing you know that by connecting 8 activation blocks to a rail rotator will give you options for rotating anything on it for 45 degrees,each activator you activate will give you additional 45 degrees of rotation,so 1/8 45° ,2/8 90° ,3/8 135° ,4/8 180° ,etc.
    but I have no idea (never tried) to stop a rail with a speed controller in the middle of rotation

Reaction score
    I am guessing you know that by connecting 8 activation blocks to a rail rotator will give you options for rotating anything on it for 45 degrees,each activator you activate will give you additional 45 degrees of rotation,so 1/8 45° ,2/8 90° ,3/8 135° ,4/8 180° ,etc.
    but I have no idea (never tried) to stop a rail with a speed controller in the middle of rotation
    Yes, I watched a tutorial and I know that there are 45*X angles possible. But I need something like, for example, dodecagon (18 degrees I guess)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1452298673,1452298259][/DOUBLEPOST]I also came up to the idea of opening CAD and making something with angled lines to test, but chance of finding a proection with flat-alined section looks distant now

Attachments

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    FYI It will continue to do what it was doing (at the speed it was doing it) until it reaches the next "step" be it a new rail or position on that rail. Then the speed is updated.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    You can make angles less than 45 degrees using turret rotors like so:
    As long as its not go an ai in it a manually rotated object on a turret rotor will stay at the angle you leave it at.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As long as its not go an ai in it a manually rotated object on a turret rotor will stay at the angle you leave it at.
    Unless you hit reset turrets in the structure menu

Reaction score
    Well, I don't think that a proper station can be made out of "turrets", as entities don't share most of the resources (I think so, i mean shields and ect)

And, for instance, turret-type entity can overlap with it's host.
    I guess noone done "ring and smooth" stations out of docks yet because there is no proper solution yet.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    a smaller degree of turning for rail is a confirmed feature in plan under rail improvement, just wait for it

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It keeps going until it reaches the next position. Same with rails, you can't stop something in the middle of a rail block.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe Manual control could be a secondary function of the rail-control block, to make the rail kind of a poor-man's turret dock, to make attached entities movable by external force part way through a rotation or partway along a rail.

Secondary use: it would be interesting in adventure maps to be able to push things around as an astronaut.

I have also seen mechanical clock mechanisms built in StarMade that would benefit from manual, partial-rotation or partial-block movement.