Incentives to Expansion (Anti-Turtling)

Reaction score
    what are your thought about limiting block count on ships / stations so ships will always be smaller, lets say 2 million blocks for ships and 4 million for stations.

stations being larger would have greater shield/regen, this would make enemy players would have to group up to defeat it.

Reaction score
    what are your thought about limiting block count on ships / stations so ships will always be smaller, lets say 2 million blocks for ships and 4 million for stations.

stations being larger would have greater shield/regen, this would make enemy players would have to group up to defeat it.
    The game already has the ability to put hard limits on ships and stations. It does not work, and most players would not agree to a hard limit when it comes to block counts.

Reaction score
    I don't disagree with Shaker.

I think the size of stations and ships are indirectly related to the turtling in Starmade. What if we would get big penalties for building bigger and bigger stations or docking some really huge ships onto the pvp-protected home-station? Like loosing credits or loosing energy. Even not being able to build bigger via a block limit for stations (and one station per sector limit) would encourage to have multiple stations.

But have not fear, the developers will never discourage building big to balance the pvp or the turtling. If this helps Starmade to get more players. We will see. I doubt it when combat remains in this capital ship pvp.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    We do not need artificial hard limits on ship and station sizes. What we need are soft limits imposed by some sort of maintenance cost. That way a player can 'choose' to build something big, if they are willing and able to make the sacrifices in other areas in order to do so.

Reactions: Zekester81
    Reaction score
    Easily beaten, just deconstruct ships by shipyard.
    You want to stop titans, get admins to enforce rules to protect players.
    Offline battlers are the bane of 24 hour servers, at least if the station had a size advantage it would take longer to destroy or even be able to take the hits due to a large shield cap, ive been watching this thread hoping for a holy grail, we the players have to come up with something as im sure its going to be years before the devs do anything.

Last edited:

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Offline battlers are the bane of 24 hour servers, at least if the station had a size advantage it would take longer to destroy or even be able to take the hits due to a large shield cap, ive been watching this thread hoping for a holy grail, we the players have to come up with something as im sure its going to be years before the devs do anything.
    But there's a problem with that as well, as a bigger station is a bigger target. Plus, more shields mean more power draw.

Reaction score
    Calhoun but its good aswell, a bigger targets gives player more of a reason to leave there homebase, more reason to group up in factions.
    and shouldnt a starbase be worthy of fear?

Power isnt a problem for stations, you dont have to worry about thrusters/jumpdrives and such, just power and shields

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I take it you did not read that thread I mentioned. The maintenance cost we are largely in agreement with would be that of crew and the faction points it takes to maintain them. You will not likely be able to hire and fire the crew of a titan willy nilly. Building a titan will be one thing, crewing it will be another. Recruiting a crew large enough for a titan may take appreciable time. Then you will want to train up that crew. And having trained your crew over the course of many days or weeks of activity, you will not be at all tempted to discard it to save on their maintenance cost.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    Well the same would be for multiple ships, and the devs have said you dont have to have crew NPCs.

And we should really be talking about the OPs topic which is positive ways to get players to undock there ships from their homebase, Panpiper 's idea is in the negative basket, penalizing playstyles.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Well the same would be for multiple ships, and the devs have said you dont have to have crew NPCs.

And we should really be talking about the OPs topic which is positive ways to get players to undock there ships from their homebase, Panpiper 's idea is in the negative basket, penalizing playstyles.
    His penalizes play styles by introducing maintenance costs? But your doesn't with introducing hard limits to build counts?

Reaction score
    KillaKrazy how is his suggestion furthering the OP's topic? its true mine is a limit, but if outpost building was safer from offliners, players would expand.
    It could even be simpler and not limit block count and just buff modifiers on stations so they have greater accuracy and range.

What about warscoring? i think schine was already talking about it, which could be the amount of captured systems from enemies.

Could also do a power rating like civ games for factions, and display the top 10 on the server.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    we the players have to come up with something as im sure its going to be years before the devs do anything.
    I agree, the devs did not adress the combat balancing with easy methods for one year and so they wont for the next one year.

But to come up as player audience with solutions to gameplay is complicated, because you need an agreement. Seeing and having participated in some discussions here on this board I think a lowest common denominator can hardly be found. The discussions on this board often go into bashing unpopular ideas and opinions of minorities. I mean who in the world is willed to participate in discussions when the majority finds it good to bash minorities instead of just accepting another view. You don't need to reply onto what you disagree with on and on, you don't even need to respond to it. Ofcourse discussions get out of control if you respond each time to each differing view from yours. Go and view a bunch of topics in the suggestions forum and you will understand me. I don't go there anymore. ;)

The people are so inefficient here, they can't even accept other views and the moderators encourage this behaviour with looking away and excuse bashing and bad discussions with "their view on how to moderate". People need to look first on what they agree on and find this idea first.

If the player audience would agree on the need for a good server playstyle, on what they want in the end, then its easy to find an agreement.

In this topic, what people want in the end, is first of: Not staying inside the own home station on pvp servers.

So what this thread really says is: We want more action in universes of servers, via pvp and non-pvp gameplay. One sub-need for this would to prevent the turtling.

(My first ideas (open for brainstorm) for a solution would be to introduce a currency item, this item can be obtained via trading with other people on the server or fighting and other stuff, included some rules who, when and where to fight and what the factions are about with some set roles of different factions like traders and pirates. I also would limit ship size to 100k and people have to carry a bigger ammount of the currency item the bigger the ship is. I also would ban blueprint spawning and shipyards, and if you have enough currency you can visit a shipyard station and spawn in a ship you want to use.)

To conclude: We allready have ways to make good servers with many actions, but it is not the devs who will solve this problem. We can try to invent good rules for servers. This is another topic and should be discussed in another thread. But its useless to start this thread, as long as the discussion culture on this forum doesn't evolve and we can't agree (including accepting different opinions instead of beanpicking: look on what we agree with). Also people need to take into accout for suggesting solutions, that they need to be easily implemented into a server script. Some complicated rules with taxing stations and all that stuff must be scripted in servers and people need to think twice if some suggestions are easy to implement.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I am sure there are some good ideas here and there in this thread, but remember a part of the community just plays to build.
    If you swing the stick to hard and often or force them to do NPC hamster wheel stuff they will leave.

The power in starmade should be freedom, not some arbitrate need to force people in 1 direction, add frame works to help the player get extra stuff but do not limit or force.
    [doublepost=1478242202,1478242015][/doublepost]

You want the galaxy, why do you assume i want that ?
    I see this concern/reaction every time anyone suggests any kind of gameplay improvement - "but some people ONLY want to build!"

No one is suggesting doing away with single player creative mode. If you just want to build/design, just play in SP creative with pirates turned off.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I see this concern/reaction every time anyone suggests any kind of gameplay improvement - "but some people ONLY want to build!"

No one is suggesting doing away with single player creative mode. If you just want to build/design, just play in SP creative with pirates turned off.
    As primarily a station/small ship builder who also enjoys relaxing with mining the problem with this is some want positive player interaction,so firing them off to a locked sector or baning them to the sp dungeon won't work.

Reaction score

There is more then pewpew to multiplayer, but if you want to shot battlefield might be something for you :)

What i said is that i do not need artificial limits or rules in my sandbox, i do not need some NPC crap telling me to do XYZ, it's a sandbox you make your own rules.

If i want to build i build if i want to fight i fight, maybe the difference is that i do not target noobs or HB build only characters.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    If i want to build i build if i want to fight i fight, maybe the difference is that i do not target noobs or HB build only characters.
    That's what most of us do, but that's a totally different thing from an objection about how some people just want to build. I guess that threw me off - I'm not interested in being required to interact with NPCs at all, but I do support them existing for those who like static interaction like that.

...me, I want to build and use what I build to fight. Preferably humans.

Not really sure why you're bringing Battlefield into this. Do you mean that you feel I should leave and play something else because my ideas about the game are different than yours?

Wait... I don't even think we're disagreeing. Why are you telling me to shove and play something else? Confused....:confused:
    [doublepost=1479062584,1479061603][/doublepost]Never mind. I think I'm just misreading you. :)

Reaction score
    You guys arent the problem, its the flying lag brick of server death or the multi fleet lag death collision maker.

I agree with the above mega post about player agreements but as we all know there is that small amount that just wants to destroy everything and doesnt read server rules.
    The other annoying thing to try and protect players against is offline battlers, they wait till you are offline and virtually reset you back to your homebase.

Im a moderator on craftau server, thats why my suggestions are generally server config limits and stuff that the game can currently handle and can easily be managed.

Reaction score
    @MacThule, I think we actually agree :)

Not really sure why you're bringing Battlefield into this. Do you mean that you feel I should leave and play something else because my ideas about the game are different than yours?
    It was simply because you told me to go play single player :)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've seen servers with ship/station size limits.
    I immediately leave said server and never come back because I don't want some arbitrary limit (that I may or may not hit) telling me what I am and am not allowed to make.

Reaction score
    telling me what I am and am not allowed to make.
    The games in alpha stage, i am responsible for keeping my server running and populated. a hard limit and server rules keeps the server online and stops those players from trying to ruin it for others.

The numbers above were only an idea, not set in stone.