Read by Schine improving Stations, planets

Reaction score
    if there where similar threads to this i did not see them.
    was reading around in the forums and the general opinion seems to be that stations are broken and that there is not much need to settle down anywhere. now some of this has/probably been said in other threads so this is bringing them to gather in a single place. also know that some station changes are planed but details are few and far between.

Stations:

increasing shields & regen

station armor blocks

sector wide weapon / shield buff to allied ships:new blocks?

longer weapon range: they should be able to cover its entire sector and the ones around it.

sector jump inhibiting

moving stations: like having a nav computer you get in and select a sector and it plots a path to the new sector like when we use the waypoint with p and the station begins its move when its moving it would lose a lot of the benefits listed also a faction can only move 1 station at a time and costs faction points the further the station has to travel

Planets

could offer similar buffs as station but weaker though covering the entire system

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can already move stations in a way. Blueprint the station, disassemble the station, fill in the blueprint, spawn in desired sector.
    Increasing shielding would be great, I suggested by about 50%.

Instead of station armour block, what about some sort of heavy advance armour block that has the maximum hit points, higher armour %, more amour hit points and double the weight so it would only be used for stationary or specialized armour ships.

I don't know about the shield buffs. Maybe after the next AI/bobby module upgrade turrets might be able to target allied ships so your could just build turrets on stations to buff friendlies.

Instead of turrets range increasing on station just because their on station, maybe there could be some sort of scanner that detects ships and other objects.
    • It could have a maximum range 50%-100% more than missiles with 100% beam.
    • Have a computer and module
    • The more modules it has the longer its range
    • Larger ship are easier to detect and can be detect from further away
    • Small ships are hard to detect,
    • Jammed ships are harder to detect
    • cloaked and jammed ships are very hard to detect.
    • Can be turned off and on
    • consumes power when on based on modules
    • Provides where the ship is to allies within in range
    • Increases the range of weapons on ship and docked entities.
    • and some other things
    Maybe the scanner could increase the range of the jump inhibiter

I think station should also not have a power cap.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    With the focus on RP over the course of the next major updates these are exactly the types of things we are discussing.

Without spoiling any potential features or solutions I will give a rundown of what we want.

Stations should be strong and they should be defendable, even if you are not online to do it yourself.

We do not see the need currently to improve station shields or armor. The reason being is that it will take more effort to attack a station in the future. It will be based on tactical superiority, not on station capabilities themselves. If you want to own a station or star system there will be a fight for it.

I do think certain situations will grant various gameplay changes while in the area around a station. I cannot detail what this might entail but things like a wider reach on station weapons are something that we will think about.

I believe jump inhibitors already inhibit anything in the current sector it is in and all surrounding ones. I have heard they work on stations but have not tested this myself. With future changes you may not need to worry about inhibiting enemies.

Schema mentioned the ability to transition from station to ship and back again. Whether this is something that he has already planned or something he needs to figure out is still undetermined. It's one the table however at the least.

Reaction score
    With the focus on RP over the course of the next major updates these are exactly the types of things we are discussing.

Without spoiling any potential features or solutions I will give a rundown of what we want.

Stations should be strong and they should be defendable, even if you are not online to do it yourself.

We do not see the need currently to improve station shields or armor. The reason being is that it will take more effort to attack a station in the future. It will be based on tactical superiority, not on station capabilities themselves. If you want to own a station or star system there will be a fight for it.

I do think certain situations will grant various gameplay changes while in the area around a station. I cannot detail what this might entail but things like a wider reach on station weapons are something that we will think about.

I believe jump inhibitors already inhibit anything in the current sector it is in and all surrounding ones. I have heard they work on stations but have not tested this myself. With future changes you may not need to worry about inhibiting enemies.

Schema mentioned the ability to transition from station to ship and back again. Whether this is something that he has already planned or something he needs to figure out is still undetermined. It's one the table however at the least.

I agree with most of this Stations are immobile and need something combat orientated to offset that immobility. With the way the game works Size is not an actual benefit to a station since weapon ranges don't increase with size stations only become more vulnerable the larger they are.

I agree that stations probably shouldn't get more defensive capabilities since they are made out of the same thing although there is some logic behind stations having stronger or more shields per capacitor / recharger because depending on what "kind" of science fiction shield they are it could be feasibly easier to generate a stronger / regenerate faster a "stationary" shield aka one that doesn't need to move.

The biggest issue with stations is that a ship with long range weapons can just float at max range and out range a stations long range weapons at particular angles this concept is well broken to say the least and could easily be rectified by giving stations a % increase in range again this could be almost logical because station turrets use a different targeting program that doesn't have to account for the stations movement and there for has increased performance/or less power has to go into weapon stabilization to fire from a potentially moving platform so it can apply more power to velocity etc etc, there are definitive logical reason for stations to have longer range weapons as well as being practical to give stations a way to defend themselves.

honestly i'm not a big fan of stations being able to turn into ships and vice versa but thats not really a discussion for this thread so i won't touch on it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with most of this Stations are immobile and need something combat orientated to offset that immobility. With the way the game works Size is not an actual benefit to a station since weapon ranges don't increase with size stations only become more vulnerable the larger they are.

I agree that stations probably shouldn't get more defensive capabilities since they are made out of the same thing although there is some logic behind stations having stronger or more shields per capacitor / recharger because depending on what "kind" of science fiction shield they are it could be feasibly easier to generate a stronger / regenerate faster a "stationary" shield aka one that doesn't need to move.

The biggest issue with stations is that a ship with long range weapons can just float at max range and out range a stations long range weapons at particular angles this concept is well broken to say the least and could easily be rectified by giving stations a % increase in range again this could be almost logical because station turrets use a different targeting program that doesn't have to account for the stations movement and there for has increased performance/or less power has to go into weapon stabilization to fire from a potentially moving platform so it can apply more power to velocity etc etc, there are definitive logical reason for stations to have longer range weapons as well as being practical to give stations a way to defend themselves.

honestly i'm not a big fan of stations being able to turn into ships and vice versa but thats not really a discussion for this thread so i won't touch on it.
    stations have one big advantage... one station in each faction can become a homebase
    homebases are invulnerable
    there ya go stations do have a dam purpose

Reactions: scoutmobile
    Reaction score
    stations have one big advantage... one station in each faction can become a homebase
    Homebases in and of themselves are kinda a broken concept being permanently invincible all the time is well idk i understand why its in here so you have a place to keep ur stuff safe but homebase protection isn't a reason to leave stations as they are..... besides the 1 station per faction that is invincible stations are incredibly weak and need buffs if people are worried about homebase stations being overpowered if their weapons outrange ship weapons then just put in a condition that dis allows faction homebases from shooting things so if you want to destroy something with your homebase then you have to drop the protection at least temporarily.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

You could solve most the shield issues and such if or when the shields transfer stop activating an attack on shield modules.

That said I noticed I can sit back at 3K and pick the turrets off a station and never risk getting hit. AI's need to have their range extended to the range of the weapon they are attached to.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Stations need a massive buff. I think a 10x boost to most stats would be reasonable for something that is completely immobile and relies on turrets for its defenses (effectively giving it a 5x buff to shields, since turrets will be vulnerable at that point).

Do you seriously think the game is going to stay in a state where every faction only needs one invincible station in a single claimed system?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Stations need a massive buff. I think a 10x boost to most stats would be reasonable for something that is completely immobile and relies on turrets for its defenses (effectively giving it a 5x buff to shields, since turrets will be vulnerable at that point).

Do you seriously think the game is going to stay in a state where every faction only needs one invincible station in a single claimed system?
    are you sugesting multple invulnerable stations? cause that would be broken
    mabye buff em a lil with more sheilds and shit but thats it

Reaction score
    are you sugesting multple invulnerable stations? cause that would be broken
    mabye buff em a lil with more sheilds and shit but thats it
    I think what he meant to say is that when factions become more flushed out having only one "invincible station" won't be enough stations period aka you won't be able to just live out of the 1 station you can make that is invincible, hence all your other stations will need buffs period they need to be stronger so that they can stand up too and be a challenge for other factions to destroy occupy etc.

Reaction score
    Buffs for stations or claimed territory should be based on faction points or currency. Faction points are based on how many people you have and currency is generally based off of how much stuff you have. We aren't happy with faction points determining base invulnerability so why not go with currency? Buffs and invulnerability in owned territory could be based on how much owned mass is in owned territory.

Which brings a reason for capturing/factioning planets and pirate bases in in your territory rather than mining or destroying them. The amount of factioned ships stations and planets in owned territory determines territory wide buffs for ships and stations and how many invulnerable stations you can have.

The best part is, all of this mass in ships planets and stations can still be destroyed or captured. you have something vulnerable to defend in your territory but the stations planets and ships that you worked so hard on remain unharmed until you don't have enough mass to stay invulnerable.
    Edit: never mind Ill put this idea in a new thread

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Buffs for stations or claimed territory should be based on faction points or currency. Faction points are based on how many people you have and currency is generally based off of how much stuff you have. We aren't happy with faction points determining base invulnerability so why not go with currency? Buffs and invulnerability in owned territory could be based on how much owned mass is in owned territory.

Which brings a reason for capturing/factioning planets and pirate bases in in your territory rather than mining or destroying them. The amount of factioned ships stations and planets in owned territory determines territory wide buffs for ships and stations and how many invulnerable stations you can have.

The best part is, all of this mass in ships planets and stations can still be destroyed or captured. you have something vulnerable to defend in your territory but the stations planets and ships that you worked so hard on remain unharmed until you don't have enough mass to stay invulnerable.
    But, Broomsage, you just don't understand how expensive it tis to capture one of the stations. I popped down on one of the defaut derilict stations(the one that looks like a ship with ice crystals), and the price to claim it was Half a Billion credits. Until the price is dropped, people will just tear down the existing stations and make their own out of some mass heavy block like faction blocks, just a brick in space.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1452032081,1452032045][/DOUBLEPOST]

But, Broomsage, you just don't understand how expensive it tis to capture one of the stations. I popped down on one of the defaut derilict stations(the one that looks like a ship with ice crystals), and the price to claim it was Half a Billion credits. Until the price is dropped, people will just tear down the existing stations and make their own out of some mass heavy block like faction blocks, just a brick in space.

Reaction score
    aren't the prices of derelicts and pirate stations configurable? and if not when you have to mine everything up you get scrap which you have to run through a factory. Some people might just build a brick in space but remember that it can be destroyed and needs to be defended. people who would just build a brick are people whos space stations are just bricks anyway

The derelict station that looks like a ship is enormous compared to the others by the way, and so is more expensive

Reaction score
    Maybe, as apposed to giving all station weapons a range increase, all stations could have a single howitzer-type turret on or orbiting the station. The turret could have a range of a sector and a half or two, but would have a slow reload time, yet with medium to high damage depending on modules on the turret.

Reaction score
    Like a station or station mounted turret only weapon?
    I really don't like the idea of an entity automatically spawning entity orbiting ever station, it would seem like a waste of cpu

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I remember having a discussion about this in a thread about putting factories on ships, where the OP wanted to get rid of stations entirely because they are 'useless and tactically disadvantaged.' The last part of the discussion was about switching between station and ship mode - making some facilities (factories/engines) only function in one of those modes. Ships have to park before they can run their factory, and stations have to close down before they fire up engines.

I think that this is the best solution to the Ship vs Station argument because it solves several other problems. Why can't construction facilities make space stations and have the station fly to its final destination? What happens when a station has exhausted all the local resources? What happens to a space station when a faction abandons a territory? Why are stations immune to black-hole gravity?

Now if you must have better guns/shields on a station, I don't see why there can't be weapon modules/enhancers that only function when a ship is parked in station mode - ion enhancers or delicate machines that can't function with rapid changes in momentum.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I remember having a discussion about this in a thread about putting factories on ships, where the OP wanted to get rid of stations entirely because they are 'useless and tactically disadvantaged.' The last part of the discussion was about switching between station and ship mode - making some facilities (factories/engines) only function in one of those modes. Ships have to park before they can run their factory, and stations have to close down before they fire up engines.

I think that this is the best solution to the Ship vs Station argument because it solves several other problems. Why can't construction facilities make space stations and have the station fly to its final destination? What happens when a station has exhausted all the local resources? What happens to a space station when a faction abandons a territory? Why are stations immune to black-hole gravity?

Now if you must have better guns/shields on a station, I don't see why there can't be weapon modules/enhancers that only function when a ship is parked in station mode - ion enhancers or delicate machines that can't function with rapid changes in momentum.

Here is that thread.
    https://starmadedock.net/threads/the-nomadic-revolution-motherships-capital-ships-as-homes.21511/

Reactions: whooplaah