Iapetus Heavy Industries and Shipyards (IHIS)

Reaction score
    I'm really digging the dark feel your ships present!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454599595,1454599407][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Haha I didn't mean that to be bad, but the shape totally reminded me of the Frigates!
    To me they remind me a bit of helghast cruisers,
    but thats just me

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Please tell me that reactor can spin on a rail rotator
    Yes. There's a few issues with it though, such as the rotator becomes detached from the switch and doesn't spin when you activate the switch. Sometimes, it moves very slowly.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1454696016,1454695686][/DOUBLEPOST]
    droools....

please put up empty shells of these so i can fly around in them :p
    I don't see why not. I can upload empty shells, and receive feedback on any design flaws.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes. There's a few issues with it though, such as the rotator becomes detached from the switch and doesn't spin when you activate the switch. Sometimes, it moves very slowly.
    I had my fair trade of spinning things. What you want to do is increase the rotation for each spin to max, and adjust speed to which feels the best. Have not experimentet much with speed but the slower seems better.
    With this you need no button / logic that need to hit it to active. Just need to activate it once to start and remove the button.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    UPDATE

Stage 1 of the Scylla class Cruiser's construction is complete and we are now moving onto Stage 2.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    really? chemical engines? slap some ion on that bitch u backward heretic :3
    Considering I have a machine capable of breaking reality strapped to that thing, I think having efficient and environmentally friendly hydrogen fuel engines is a good compromise in tech levels! :P

Besides, hydrogen fuel? That ship is basically propelled by nukes.

Reaction score
    So I know I promised some new ships... so here you go! In 3D as well!

Interesting, your ship would need some more and diverse interior, also is it just the model or is this version with much room of empty space?
    However, the ship from the outside looks absolutely stunningly awesome!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Interesting, your ship would need some more and diverse interior, also is it just the model or is this version with much room of empty space?
    However, the ship from the outside looks absolutely stunningly awesome!
    Need more and diverse interior? And yeah, it's got a lot empty space because it's not finished...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Considering I have a machine capable of breaking reality strapped to that thing, I think having efficient and environmentally friendly hydrogen fuel engines is a good compromise in tech levels! :p

Besides, hydrogen fuel? That ship is basically propelled by nukes.
    LH2 combustion isn't nuclear. :P

Your chemical engine description says they use combustion to propel the ship, which means they're LH2/LOx engines, like the main engines used on the Space Shuttle orbiters during liftoff. Combustion requires a fuel and Oxygen to both be present with enough heat to ignite.

A ship using LH2/LOx engines for sublight propulsion is viable, since you could scoop hydrogen from nebulae, you can get some good specific impulse from a bi-propellant liquid rocket such as the SSMEs, and you'd need to carry oxygen anyway for life support. While liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen need to be cryogenically stored in their tanks, the Arc Reactor's power output should make that task trivial.

What you might be wanting would be Nuclear Thermal Rockets, which replace chemical reactions to produce thrust with the expulsion of LH2 after it's been heated by a nuclear reactor. Then your ship would be propelled by nukes, but the engines wouldn't be chemical at that point. :P NTRs come in solid core, liquid core, gas core, and pulsed (not to be mistaken for the Project Orion's propulsion system) variants.

With all that said, nice ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    LH2 combustion isn't nuclear. :p

Your chemical engine description says they use combustion to propel the ship, which means they're LH2/LOx engines, like the main engines used on the Space Shuttle orbiters during liftoff. Combustion requires a fuel and Oxygen to both be present with enough heat to ignite.

A ship using LH2/LOx engines for sublight propulsion is viable, since you could scoop hydrogen from nebulae, you can get some good specific impulse from a bi-propellant liquid rocket such as the SSMEs, and you'd need to carry oxygen anyway for life support. While liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen need to be cryogenically stored in their tanks, the Arc Reactor's power output should make that task trivial.

What you might be wanting would be Nuclear Thermal Rockets, which replace chemical reactions to produce thrust with the expulsion of LH2 after it's been heated by a nuclear reactor. Then your ship would be propelled by nukes, but the engines wouldn't be chemical at that point. :p NTRs come in solid core, liquid core, gas core, and pulsed (not to be mistaken for the Project Orion's propulsion system) variants.

With all that said, nice ship.

Reactions: Calhoun