I finally wrote a review of Starmade, after 1000 hours.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well my point is that they've already voiced these things. So they don't have to keep going on about it.

Who's to say they can't vent if they really feel they must? Not me. But who's to say I can't be annoyed about their incessant pessimism, and say so? Not you.

Thingie

Professional Lurker
    Reaction score
    Well my point is that they've already voiced these things. So they don't have to keep going on about it.

Who's to say they can't vent if they really feel they must? Not me. But who's to say I can't be annoyed about their incessant pessimism, and say so? Not you.
    You literally told them not to complain tho. That's what i'm pointing out, that's all. They are ALLOWED to complain about the state they find the game in and why they don't like it, repetitive or not. What you can't do it tell people to stop because its been said before.

now, if you wish to continue this conversation, it would be best taken elsewhere as i do not want to derail this thread further.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I only told them to stop complaining on one point in particular, the alpha thing. Nobody should complain that their shit gets broken by an alpha update, that's true of any early access game, but of course there are always people that complain anyway. This isn't really that big of a deal though, this point was a relatively small part of the OP.

The rest of what I said is just my opinion... I was just hoping to convince them that they've don't need to repeat themselves, they've been heard, and hopefully we can talk about something else.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Shhh, let people vent their frustration.
    It's totally allowed and you shouldn't tell people they aren't allowed to. Even if it is Alpha.

Reaction score
    kinda like the old system forced us to make cube shaped ships, because that was the optimum shape? 'cause, you know, all the ships on the dock are cubed shaped.....
    but it wasnt.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with them, but if you want to move forward with the game you have to be respectful and constructive with the devs,
    you actually dont. the world would likely be a better place if everyone were always respectful and constructive, but its not a requirement, and the world still turns.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Nightrune did say that "untainted/raw" commentary was the most useful, i mean i'd prefer maths but we could be crunching numbers perfectly at each other all day long and get literally nowhere because its spaghettimade where everyone would probably be at least mostly right while disagreeing with eachother vehemently

There's definitely some more realistic designs that would likely fit well within starmades power system (especially if they were anything but Z-aligned and had just, so, so many more turrets), though IRL also has some niggling mechanics like physics that impose limitations we don't (yet) see in SM. Non contiguity & more extreme possible dimensions mean some impressively wacked out shit sometimes that probably don't fit into any normal "sci fi archetypes" at all.

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Lol, who was it that wanted to do a pre rail update server? I actually could see something like that with certain servers running pre power 2.0.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm amused that he thinks "even the most casual of gamer can understand the game mechanic" is a bad thing.

The basic way to make ships go should not be a mind bending puzzle to create a false "elites vs. noobs" stratification.

If the main reason for not liking a change boils down to "but now I don't feel special and superior anymore!", then the problem wasn't with the change...

Reaction score
    I'm amused that he thinks "even the most casual of gamer can understand the game mechanic" is a bad thing.

The basic way to make ships go should not be a mind bending puzzle to create a false "elites vs. noobs" stratification.

If the main reason for not liking a change boils down to "but now I don't feel special and superior anymore!", then the problem wasn't with the change...
    "a minute to learn, a lifetime to master" is a slogan reserved for respected games that challenge the mind. most people would consider it an honor, not an insult.

Reactions: GnomeKing

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    "a minute to learn, a lifetime to master" is a slogan reserved for respected games that challenge the mind. most people would consider it an honor, not an insult.
    I can't agree with this more

Reactions: Arkudo
    Reaction score
    There was a time that Starmade had extraordinary promise. It had the potential to be the perfect meld between a highly nuanced building game of extraordinary tactical depth, a first person space RPG, and a grand space strategy game. That potential was still a long way off given that it is a VERY small team building the game. In the mean time however, the building part of the game was quite finely honed and functional and much fun could be had gaining even more expertise in ship building. There were still bugs and optimizations to work out, but the future looked very bright indeed.

Then instead of building upon that base and starting to flesh out the rest of the game so the ships we build had something to do other than get materials for more ships, instead the developers decided to scrap the entire building system and start it over from essentially scratch. The extremely complex block building mechanics were still there, it would still take you days of work to pile all the blocks together to get a ship working, but virtually all the tactical depth of decision making in building was removed. The actual game mechanics of the build system has been dumbed down so much, that it is barely more sophisticated than most other space strategy games. The difference is that those other space strategy games do NOT require you to master an incredibly obtuse construction system that requires you to spend days piling blocks.

This recent change has caused ALL of the literally thousands of ships and stations posted to community content to be utterly obsolete. Everything is now scrap. Everything will have to be rebuilt. The product of literally hundreds of thousands of man hours has been wasted. All so that the build system can be dumbed down to the point that even the most casual of gamer can easily understand the ship mechanics.

(Choose the size of ship you want. Decide if you are willing to hugely sacrifice performance and stick with a long narrow ship, or worse a 'normal' looking ship, or go for a seriously weird oblique ship for maximum power. Decide on which weapon configuration you will use and how much of them. Decide how much shield, regenerators and thrusters you will use. Decide how you will allocate your ten chamber points. Then spend 100 hours piling blocks. That's it, that's ship building now.)

I'll spare you the details of such as; how in so doing they have not just reduced the tactical depth of building choices, but also forced some truly bizarre ship design choices upon players. There IS an optimum ship shape that is so utterly bizarre that NO science fiction artist has ever thought to draw or paint, because no one would ever build a ship that way. But in Starmade, that is now the optimum ship.

They have thrown their baby out with the bath water. Rather than take the one thing they had working, the thing that was the most extraordinary in all of gaming when it came to build systems, and finish the rest of the game. Instead they scrapped it and are basically starting over with a VASTLY inferior system. At this point it looks like the actual game part, the grand strategy part, will likely never be done. They will have to spend years tweaking, bug fixing and balancing their new, inferior build system first.

I used to love the richness of the old build system and looked forward to expanding it into the strategy game proper. Now I hate the new build system and I expect we will never see the strategy game. I could not possibly more strongly NOT recommend this game at this point.
    I agree with your first paragraph and love the first sentence of your second paragraph, but the rest is bonkers.

What is so "tactifully challenging and difficult about this game? How many forum posts do you see where (not new) players are asking about how to get the best power setup? Did anyone EVER talk about power? What extremely complex building mechanics are you talkin about? What deep tactical decisions did you have to make on each ship? Please I need examples because all im hearing is

"roleplay"

Your description of ship building-how is that any different than before? Old system: Choose design (shape), weapons/systems, outfit remaing space with shields(or add them first)

New system: Same as before but with a new final step: Add chambers which customize your ship (warp drive,cloak,Push + all of the 100's of combinations they can come up with in the future now that we have a base for it.

The most important thing to know is that for most people, the old system sucked. It was boring and took up too much space. They took a vote, and the majority was in favour. Most of us dont think it was full of "richness" and it definetly was not the pinnacle of space games for most of us either.

The Power Stat was a means to an end, not the whole point of the game. No one wants MAXIMUM power in each ship they build-because why would they? Why have more power than you need when you can have functional systems there instead? It was a mini game, nothing more.

You not liking it being easily accessible for new players is frankly one of the problems with this game, too much elitism. It is not difficult, but more importantly not fun,for most players to spend hours trying to get 2mill power in every ship possible. Go start a poll and see how many people play this game solely to "acheive max power". It was a minigame.

Your optimum shape thing is debatable too. What was the optional shape before and was that the only shape players made? Im not talking about competitive PVP players only either, there are others here who play just as much but dont care about "acheiving max power" For us this update is a leap in the right direction- just not far enough. And losing man hours building ships that are now useless....not the first or last time it will happen. Pointless and ridiculous to complain about because its a game not a career. Should they just keep working on a system the majority consider flawed, just so we can fly ships from 1 years ago?

How many 1year old ships do you fly everytime you play? Not alot right? cus its a building game! Build more.

This update will make things better in time. We only have a dev build to work off right now too, so everything is subject to change. Also remember that you thought you had enough information to make a judgment before the dev, when you didnt even have ANY numbers to work off. Hold your horses until the release is here.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, which is precisely what we have now.

"A minute to learn" means "the rules and how they apply are simple to understand and use". The "Lifetime to master" is the complexity of all of the choices you have that spawn from those simple rules.

How you implement the system is the "minute to learn" part, which he was railing against. The "lifetime to master" is learning how to balance it, how to build the right fleet makeups, etc. How to implement a system SHOULD be the "minute to learn", what you implement and WHY you implement it should be the "lifetime to master".

Reaction score
    Thats a nice quote to look at, but is it really applicable in this situation? Is having a system that the majority of players consider too tedious and boring, and more importantly has been the reason potentional new players gave up on this game, really worth keeping? Just so you can feel like you mastered it? You will be able to master the new one too;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Thats a nice quote to look at, but is it really applicable in this situation? Is having a system that the majority of players consider too tedious and boring, and more importantly has been the reason potentional new players gave up on this game, really worth keeping? Just so you can feel like you mastered it? You will be able to master the new one too;)
    The new system is; "A minute to learn, a minute to master." It is trivially easy to master.

Reaction score
    I agree with your first paragraph and love the first sentence of your second paragraph, but the rest is bonkers.

What is so "tactifully challenging and difficult about this game? How many forum posts do you see where (not new) players are asking about how to get the best power setup? Did anyone EVER talk about power? What extremely complex building mechanics are you talkin about? What deep tactical decisions did you have to make on each ship? Please I need examples because all im hearing is

"roleplay"

Your description of ship building-how is that any different than before? Old system: Choose design (shape), weapons/systems, outfit remaing space with shields(or add them first)

New system: Same as before but with a new final step: Add chambers which customize your ship (warp drive,cloak,Push + all of the 100's of combinations they can come up with in the future now that we have a base for it.

The most important thing to know is that for most people, the old system sucked. It was boring and took up too much space. They took a vote, and the majority was in favour. Most of us dont think it was full of "richness" and it definetly was not the pinnacle of space games for most of us either.

The Power Stat was a means to an end, not the whole point of the game. No one wants MAXIMUM power in each ship they build-because why would they? Why have more power than you need when you can have functional systems there instead? It was a mini game, nothing more.

You not liking it being easily accessible for new players is frankly one of the problems with this game, too much elitism. It is not difficult, but more importantly not fun,for most players to spend hours trying to get 2mill power in every ship possible. Go start a poll and see how many people play this game solely to "acheive max power". It was a minigame.

Your optimum shape thing is debatable too. What was the optional shape before and was that the only shape players made? Im not talking about competitive PVP players only either, there are others here who play just as much but dont care about "acheiving max power" For us this update is a leap in the right direction- just not far enough. And losing man hours building ships that are now useless....not the first or last time it will happen. Pointless and ridiculous to complain about because its a game not a career. Should they just keep working on a system the majority consider flawed, just so we can fly ships from 1 years ago?

How many 1year old ships do you fly everytime you play? Not alot right? cus its a building game! Build more.

This update will make things better in time. We only have a dev build to work off right now too, so everything is subject to change. Also remember that you thought you had enough information to make a judgment before the dev, when you didnt even have ANY numbers to work off. Hold your horses until the release is here.
    I totally agree with you. The old system was not more complex, the relation between power regen and storage, and putting in power into turrets to bypass the 2mill limit, was not really complex. It was a numbers game. Even for people who were not interested into builds that reached the power limit, the actual power part was not that deep: Decide on how big the gun will be, what power draws it, then use the remaining power for shield regen (plus effects) and leave some power regen untouched against ion.

The new system has exactly the same deepth when it comes to shields and weapons. I am pretty sure ion weapons and extra defensive chambers will be added and take that place of the old effect system. There is no complexity lost imho.

But it scratched the part where you had to fill every open space in your ship with shield capazitors, and where the majority of players just reached the 2mill mark with either long lines of rechargers or with a 25x25x25 schematic that only needed to be pasted.

But there are many people here who disagree with that, and it's just tedious to talk about it with them for me. And I think many others who are with the new system are feeling the same: Booth sides just have static positions and try first to argue against the whole change, and then they try to argue about the best part of the change, the stabilizers. Booth sides here think the other side is not able to think logical and booth sides think the opponent is unable to argue propperly. xD It's just not really worth the time to even discuss it here on this forum. Say what you think once and that's enough - that's how I try to do it...A little conversation is okay but longish discussions are really annoying here for me. Well it's possible to make an extra topic and ask for heavy moderation on this thread, but I for my part am not that motivated and just hope the system will stay with stabilizers and many free space for building stuff into it, so I don't dumbely fill every remaining empty space with shield-caps as it was in the old meta.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    The optimum ship shape with the current system being worked on would be a long thin line, perhaps with a bump on each end, just like a dumbbell, except instead of being a straight line, front to back, it would be a sloping line at 45 degrees to one side and up or down. No ship 'should' look like that, but the current mechanics will reward exactly that.
    Where do you get the idea that that is the most optimum shape?

And why do you think everyone wants to build like that, even if it is the most optimum?