I don't know where else to post this...

Reaction score
    Hi.

I'm having some trouble running the game with the latest update. Whenever I try to run the game, it always starts up the local server successfully (as I've found out from the dedicated server window), but for some reason the graphics are never working properly, and I really want to play this version with the rails update. I know that the problem lies somewhere within the update for me, because I've tried backporting a few and that worked properly. Some of my computer spec.s incase that helps:

Lenovo Laptop
    Dual video cards: Nvidia and Intel
    x68-64 Architecture
    1600 by 900 Screen Resolution
    Running the latest and greatest version of java

Thanks for reading and the help.

End of Line.

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    ...for some reason the graphics are never working properly...
    What exactly is your problem? Just texture errors or something worse than that?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    1.)what is the error message
    2.)need answer one first

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ok, I see the problem already. Your computer is most likely defaulting to the Intel card for StarMade's graphics, and the Intel Graphics Driver that Lenovo put into your machine is not up to date.

First, make sure your Intel and NVidia drivers are up to date.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Make a system restore point before installing the drivers, in case something goes wrong.

Then, go into your NVidia Control Center, add javaw.exe to its program list, and set it to use GPU only. This will make javaw.exe and all programs that run off of it (including StarMade) use the NVidia card for your graphics.

You might not need to worry as much about your Intel driver with the forcing of Java to use the GPU, but it's best to make sure both are good, anyway.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I forgot to specify... I run Linux Mint latest stable release with KDE, and I don't like to mess around with my drivers at all since most of the time I have this thing rigged to go up in smoke without even knowing it. Also, I would give the error messages if I know how to find them. I hope that these screenshots will also help clarify my situation.
    https://drive.google.com/folderview...44ZFR6WXFNLXg0X1d0MEs0YXpiV0NfQXc&usp=sharing
    This is a play-by-play of what I did. First, I opened the server window to clarify that this is madness. Then, I made a brand-new world with the program on the newest version. Finally, In the last picture, I logged on. I have no visual and only the server window shows that I'm on at all (as if). Hope this information helps.

End of Line.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ok, I can understand the driver issue with Linux.

Try the NVidia Control Panel part without modifying the drivers; NVidia plays better with OpenGL than Intel on the older drivers. See if just adding javaw.exe to the list as GPU only makes your graphics work.

Reaction score
    You seem to misunderstand: "we don't use .exe here."
    Also, I'd still like a solution that doesn't involve messing around with my drivers. That's my "danger zone."

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ah, my bad. I'm not familiar with Linux, so I forgot that you guys don't use exe at all. Also, I figured Linux-based Nvidia software would have similar capabilities to Windows' version, but that seems not to be the case, at least not out of the box apparently.

I tried searching for information on this issue for Mint so I can properly help, but the results I'm getting insist on involving drivers.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help so far.

Reaction score
    OK fellow Linux user here this link is for Java on Ubuntu which mint is based on so it will all apply to your system http://askubuntu.com/questions/234594/installing-java-on-ubuntu-64-bit
    i find oracle jre works best but is much harder to install unless u find a ppa like the one u will find at this link http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/install-oracle-java-8-in-ubuntu-via-ppa.html
    there are some terminal commands quick and easy install

next if u have updated or switched to Java 8(or stuck with your current Java) and u still have problems then u need to update your video driver so go to your menu click the top right bottom to all applications scroll over all tab then scroll down to driver manager and select the recommended driver for your system then restart after it's done personally useing the driver manager i have never had problems but if u must then do it through the terminal here is a link for how to do it in ubuntu 14.04 which is what mint 17 is based on so it will work http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/
    that is all the info i can think to give u good luck and i hope something i have linked for u will help
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431920197,1431920014][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That still doesn't answer my question on whether or not you used JRE(runtime) or JDK(development kit)
    mint 17 comes with jdk (6 or 7 not to sure as i replaced it on my system some time ago) installed out of the gate so he is probably using that

Reaction score
    *Sigh*. Okay, look, I've already installed the version of java that's an RPM for x86 arch using the program alien to convert it to DEB format (I love that program), so even though I don't know which one I'm using I don't think that it's the one for devs. Also, I've already tried swapping out a few drivers to no avail. P.S. wraith3690: The suggested isn't always the best one because if it's not from the card's maker then they really don't know how to use the card as well and will give you a (very slightly) buggier product. But that's another discussion altogether.

Reaction score
    Made sure to update JDK to the newest version. Still not working. Maybe there's a bad call to mdm somewhere?

Reaction score
    Okay, now I have a different problem entirely. Now I can't run apt-get because dpkg is unhappy about some java packages. This is what typically happens on my computer. I'm just suprised that it wasn't the drivers that messed me up.

Reaction score
    I'm going to post the gap where the game works-doesn't work so that someone can take a look at this and help.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Okay, so I know that I've put this off for a very long time, but here are the versions of interest:
    .19174 – works properly
    .19226 - failure
    This is the gap between the versions that are downloadable via the update that makes my computer unhappy for no apparent reason... If a developer could come over and help out here then that'd be great, since I'm really looking forward to playing this game again.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Best place for this would have been the support page.

However,
    the best was is to get a clean fresh installation, and send us logs from it.

- Andy