Hyperdrive v jump drive

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Where did you read that current plan for the hyperdrives? from what I read they are going to be making it a capital ship system that once installed provides the ship with a debuff reducing its sub light speed to 0% in essence making it a floating brick capable of using hyperspace as its only means of travel.
    My Idea on those lines would be to make Jump drives the system to lower the ships sub light speed to 0% and then jump instantly from sector to sector and have the smaller ships fitted with Hyper drives to travel through subspace and take time to reach their destination.

Those are not bad ideas, I personally would rather a hyperdrive than a warp drive but that's just me :p The charge up time for me is something that is not really something that my sci fi bread and butter (Stargate) really went into, in the way I would like it the Drive can be turned on whenever you have the power to do so but once you drop out the drive needs to "Cool down" before you can use it again.
    The idea I proposed uses EVE Online's system (as you can tell) in order to achieve a much greater sense of actually going somewhere, and also to be closer to scientifically accurate. Not only that, but using the system I've proposed will allow the necessary scale changes that need to be made, as it's been mentioned a number of times that the scale of systems and such seems too small, and jump drives really take out any desire to actually travel long distances if the sector sizes are scaled up.

However, part of my interdictor idea has been already added into the game (the strength of jump drive vs the strength of interdictor = whether drive is jammed or not) but the rest would be easily possible with the new warping system, and would allow bubble interdictors, which prevent ships from warping through them. It would make pirating much easier, thus creating more of an incentive to become a pirate.

I've pretty much just rewritten the gains of the suggestion on here, but it's to show that this would be superior to yours in the sense that it'd provide to the gameplay more, rather than your love for Stargate. I guess you'd be able to see which would be more imperative. :P

Reaction score
    The idea I proposed uses EVE Online's system (as you can tell) in order to achieve a much greater sense of actually going somewhere, and also to be closer to scientifically accurate. Not only that, but using the system I've proposed will allow the necessary scale changes that need to be made, as it's been mentioned a number of times that the scale of systems and such seems too small, and jump drives really take out any desire to actually travel long distances if the sector sizes are scaled up.

However, part of my interdictor idea has been already added into the game (the strength of jump drive vs the strength of interdictor = whether drive is jammed or not) but the rest would be easily possible with the new warping system, and would allow bubble interdictors, which prevent ships from warping through them. It would make pirating much easier, thus creating more of an incentive to become a pirate.

I've pretty much just rewritten the gains of the suggestion on here, but it's to show that this would be superior to yours in the sense that it'd provide to the gameplay more, rather than your love for Stargate. I guess you'd be able to see which would be more imperative. :p
    Don't get me wrong I do love stargate :P but I was simply using the visuals and term Hyperspace to get the point across of the difference between the two.
    the only problem I have with your idea is being forced from warp/hyperspace and having to fight or die.
    I would rather Hyperspace simply be a means to travel, Sure inhibitors could be a thing, stopping ships from jumping away from the sector, placed on stations,planets or even large capital ships but I do not like being forced from warp/Hyperspace.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Don't get me wrong I do love stargate :p but I was simply using the visuals and term Hyperspace to get the point across of the difference between the two.
    the only problem I have with your idea is being forced from warp/hyperspace and having to fight or die.
    I would rather Hyperspace simply be a means to travel, Sure inhibitors could be a thing, stopping ships from jumping away from the sector, placed on stations,planets or even large capital ships but I do not like being forced from warp/Hyperspace.
    Inhibitors are already a thing :P

However, the reason I say that is to improve the pirating experience. I've proposed it in a way to allow another feature to be added nicely, to add to the overall experience. Pirating is apart of that, and forcing someone out of warp creates more of an incentive to do so, as it makes pirating easier/more possible, if you know what I mean.

Effectively, I propose my suggestions in a way to add more gameplay as a whole, and improve the overall experience.

Now I won't be replying for a while, going off to sleep now, I'm too tired to write any more. :P

Reaction score
    Inhibitors are already a thing :p

However, the reason I say that is to improve the pirating experience. I've proposed it in a way to allow another feature to be added nicely, to add to the overall experience. Pirating is apart of that, and forcing someone out of warp creates more of an incentive to do so, as it makes pirating easier/more possible, if you know what I mean.

Effectively, I propose my suggestions in a way to add more gameplay as a whole, and improve the overall experience.

Now I won't be replying for a while, going off to sleep now, I'm too tired to write any more. :p
    Goodnight mate :)
    Happy to keep spitballing some other time, I think we could come up with some good ideas.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Where did you read that current plan for the hyperdrives? from what I read they are going to be making it a capital ship system that once installed provides the ship with a debuff reducing its sub light speed to 0% in essence making it a floating brick capable of using hyperspace as its only means of travel.
    My Idea on those lines would be to make Jump drives the system to lower the ships sub light speed to 0% and then jump instantly from sector to sector and have the smaller ships fitted with Hyper drives to travel through subspace and take time to reach their destination.
    i was talking about its functionality in terms of gameplay. your idea is basically a alternative jump drive which might still be possible. however the term "Hyper Drive" is currently reserved for the highest fast travel tier. schine has stated this several times

Reaction score
    i was talking about its functionality in terms of gameplay. your idea is basically a alternative jump drive which might still be possible. however the term "Hyper Drive" is currently reserved for the highest fast travel tier. schine has stated this several times
    Aah roger, that makes more sense, I never read that they may re work the jump drives, still the current "Hyperdrive" Idea they have has my jimmies all rustled lol.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Jump drives may work for say a very small scout ship sure.
    The shields should not be off, but rather down to like 50% or something making you have to wait for them to recharge to full upon hyperspace exit.

I like the ratio idea, very similar to my idea of hyperspace travel = time taken to cross the sector at sublight X something, 8:1 may be a little slow but still a cool idea.
    I don't think there should be enemies in Sub space though, it should be for travel only, thus would also avoid loading screens if we just get a graphic similar to jump launch for the entire sub space trip.

I was thinking more down the lines of stargate :) I thought treck used warp?
    he is explaining warp in theory he only calls it hyperdrive

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yes, he is.

TO BE CLEAR:

WARP: bending the space-time continuum around the ship in a bubble to allow for rapid transit across space.
    HYPERSPACE: See Warp.
    JUMP DRIVE: Compressing the space-time continuum, poking a hole from point A to B, and expanding with you now at point B.
    DIMENSIONAL TRANSIT: Another Fraking dimension that allows you to bypass normal space to go really fast
    LUDICROUS DRIVE: Don't even think about it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd keep both, however, as I always say, hyperdrive SHOULD NOT be a capital ship system. In practice, I'd assume, larger ships would use it more than smaller ones considering the fact that it's for longer range and takes a bit longer than a jump for short distances, but as a mechanic for a mainstay form of FTL travel it should be available for anything from what would currently be a jump shuttle to a titan.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Jeeze this thread has grown.

Anyway, on my suggestion for splitting hyperdrive and jumpdrive...

I feel that Hyperdrive should be faster travel overall, than jumpdrives, but slower than warpgates (on account of warpgates having massive distance advantages over jumpdrives).

No charge time on the hyperdrive - just a spool-down time and travel time, and your shields and power are reduced to zero for a short time after exiting hyperspace. The size of the hyperdrive in comparison to your ship determines the speed at which you travel, with a minimum speed set in server.cfg.

Jumpdrives have an instant travel time in a short range area, but at the expense of having to be pre-charged. A one block Jumpdrive might take 45 seconds to charge and jump 8 sectors, whereas a one block Hyperdrive would get you there in 30 seconds, for instance.

A Jump Inhibitor would ideally prevent a hyperdrive of smaller size from functioning at all, and would kick players out of hyperspace when they enter the jump inhibitor's sphere of influence (warp disruptor bubble, anyone?)

The idea being that Jumpdrives are viable options for, say, scout ships that are going on a small three-jump patrol route, whereas Hyperdrives are primary modes of travel for carriers, battleships, cargo ships, etc. that can't fit through your warpgates, or when you don't have warpgates in the first place.

A well rounded combat ship, as an example, would mount a Hyperdrive along with a series of small jumpdrives, in order to get to a safe spot near a combat zone, then jump to that combat zone after recovering from the hyperspace exit drain.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    jump drive should be for bigger ships as it is instant warp should be easier and smaller to acheve as it is slower

Reaction score
    Here I was thinking that I was the only who thought this way. Thanks :)
    As I said I would rather just have one type of drive (Hyperdrive) but I can see the merit in replacing the current plans for hyperdrive as a capital ship system with the current jump drive we have now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I also think we should have jump for capital, hyperspace for smaller ships. I understand where you're coming from and how you want to remove jump drives, but I disagree and as the jump inhibitor just made it's debut it's unlikely they'll scrap it now.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I also think we should have jump for capital, hyperspace for smaller ships. I understand where you're coming from and how you want to remove jump drives, but I disagree and as the jump inhibitor just made it's debut it's unlikely they'll scrap it now.
    There's no reason why a jump inhibitor couldn't inhibit warp as well. The Jump Inhibitor would serve as a device that protects space from being bent/warped/folded in it's vicinity.

Reaction score
    There's no reason why a jump inhibitor couldn't inhibit warp as well. The Jump Inhibitor would serve as a device that protects space from being bent/warped/folded in it's vicinity.
    I like this idea but I would take it a step further. If a ship in hyperspace/warp move through a sector with inhibitors it should bring them out of hyperspace/warp. This could be used for some cool traps.

Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yes, but he wants the removal of jump drives entirely and replace it with hyperdrive only, which is what I disagree with. They can co-exist but jump drives are not broken, so why replace them outright?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441978193,1441978140][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I like this idea but I would take it a step further. If a ship in hyperspace/warp move through a sector with inhibitors it should bring them out of hyperspace/warp. This could be used for some cool traps.
    Pirates!

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, but he wants the removal of jump drives entirely and replace it with hyperdrive only, which is what I disagree with. They can co-exist but jump drives are not broken, so why replace them outright?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441978193,1441978140][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Pirates!
    Jump Drives are broken. I've explained why in my Change Warp System and Interdiction Ideas suggestion. Removing the jump system to be replaced with the warp/hyperdrive system will allow for the sense of scale to become greater. The Jump Drive itself takes away from the desire to warp around the place, due to the long charge time. Changing that to a warp system that doesn't require charge time, but takes a bit of time to get from A to B, would be significantly better as it'd be a much more desirable system to use, rather than the jump drive.

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If this were ever to be implemented, I wouldn't call it Hyperdrive, rather something more "plain" or "vanilla". Starmade tends not to lean towards a specific science fiction franchise.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If this were ever to be implemented, I wouldn't call it Hyperdrive, rather something more "plain" or "vanilla". Starmade tends not to lean towards a specific science fiction franchise.
    Such as a Warp Drive? :P