Votes: 1 3.0%
    • Bloody awful!

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Note: these ideas originated from a suggestion on possible interdiction methods: Interdiction - No Escape!

Scale is something that has always been considered a problem for Starmade. It's been said time and time again, that the distance between places should be much greater. Well, so far, there's a simple solution for that. Increase the sector size, server's have already been doing it, but it creates a new problem, it tests people's patience, a LOT. So, I propose a system, that will make warp much more mainstream, open the door to possibilities such as interdiction, and make the scale of Starmade far greater than before.

So, what space game does scale best? My first answer is EVE Online. EVE is an extremely successful game, one of those reason is the scale. There are massive distances between objects in each system, which create the need for using warp drives to get from A to B. The same can be said about multiple servers on Starmade, sector sizes have been increased drastically to improve the scale of everything. But like EVE, these distances create a need for warp drive to be used.

What's wrong with using warp drive? Well, it takes a massive amount of time to charge it up. Long distance travelling becomes extremely annoying when we have to spend a few minutes holding left click to charge the warp drive.

Why not use the thrusters? Because they aren't meant to be used to fly across a galaxy. Thrusters are used for short range travel, both in real life, and in EVE. EVE's warp system is, while simple, very effective. The time it takes to get into warp, is decided by how quickly you can align yourself with the destination, and how quickly you can get to 75% of your ships top speed. The warp then propels your ship in the direction, at ludicrous speeds, it doesn't matter if any objects are in your way, because the science of warp shows that you're moving the space-time around your ship, you will effectively warp through objects, in the game and in real life.

So, where exactly am I going with this? I propose that we replace the current warp's charging system, with something that's a lot quicker and requires more interaction, such as aligning yourself with your destination. After that, it is entirely possible that we would then have to reach a certain speed before actually warping. I also suggest that we change the idea that we teleport from the origin point to the destination, to actually flying in it's destination. This would allow interdictor structures to catch your warp, and stop it.

If the appropriate changes were made to the warp system, then warping would become a much more viable option, making it significantly more mainstream, allowing the sectors to be enlarged massively, with no real harm. It would make the scale feel much greater, and solve the scale problems that has plagued Starmade for a while now. This also opens the door, for interdicting.

Interdicting is simply preventing a ship from warping. Whether it's a structure with an AOE catching a ship in warp, are mobile interdiction modules found on specialized ships, to prevent a fleet's prey from escaping.

An interdictor structure would be placed by a player, it would be a station with a interdiction module that can only be fitted onto stations. This interdiction module would be able to stop all warps, and the amount of modules attached to the computer will increase it's range. Any ship warping through it will be stopped, and any ships trying to warp out of it won't be able to do so. You could use these as a defense grid around important locations, such as the way Homeworld did, by surrounding your final goal with Hyperspace Inhibitors, preventing you from getting to it without destroying said inhibitors.

There would also be Interdictor ships. These ships would fit on Interdictors like any weapon system, with a computer and modules. The range is always a fixed range, which can be increased by slaving a damaged beam to the interdictor computer. The interdictor modules would determine the effectiveness of the interdictor, in a ratio sense. In order for a ship to fully prevent another ship from warping, it has to have a 1:1 ratio with the warp drive modules, or greater. Otherwise, the other ship can easily escape. These interdictor modules would also eat up a retarded amount of power, depending on how many of the modules there are. You could then end up with destroyers capable of jamming fighters and corvettes, while still having power for weapons, yet it won't be able to jam battlecruisers and capital ships. So if you want to jam capital ships as a destroyer, then you'll have to sacrifice your weapons for more interdicting modules, creating the need for fleets.

To summarize, changing the warp to be similar to EVE Online's will allow scale to be fixed, and adding interdictors to work alongside that warp system will create a new type of ship to build, create new PVP tactics, both alone and in fleets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    but what about people new to servers who don't have warp drives?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Using trading guild stations? Would also be a good excuse for another station design contest; build a warpgate station for generation in the game, with a specific gate ring size that would work for smaller craft new guys would be using, like a radius of 21 using the build helper tool, so all these trade guild gate stations would be compatible with one-another, and a newb can travel through them. Default warpgate network sounds great, though, unless newbs just get a free jump drive system, which I wouldn't oppose, as it's kinda important.

I like the suggested change to the jump drive function, but EVE online has ship max speeds, rather than a server speed limit. So for starmade you need a way to define how fast you have to be going. How about this: since jump drive modules aren't determining charge time anymore, let the ratio determine the % of server speedlimit your craft needs to achieve to enter warp. A 100% efficient drive, say, could reduce it to 10%, and everything beyond that approaches, but never reaches, zero. maybe cuts off at 1m/s minimum if anything else costs too much for calculations. Anything should be able to reach 1m/s.
    We need a margin of error for the alignment, too, since we don't have a point+click alignment function. Say just get you bow pointed within 2 degrees of the target vector.
    There's one other thing they can determine in this proposal; power usage per kilometer traveled, plus a small entry cost (50,000, say, since that's what your core has available.) to initiate travel over the first however many kilometers. This is kinda how EVE does it aswell, although for our system your capacitor could be drained by the second (millisecond?) spent in warp after passing the given distance, effectively allowing the jump drive ratio to have a power efficiency bonus as well. This, then, determines how far you can go in a jump, and kind of works like in Startrek, where the enterprise just keeps going and going until it's either told to stop (gotta have an uh-oh switch if we forgot to set a destination!) or something stops it.

There is an optimization we need, though:
    When warping, sectors around you aren't loaded until you exit warp. The game just ignores what's in them, although it keeps track of what sector you're in, checking that every so often so it knows where to dump you if an interdiction sphere/lack of power interrupts it. I'm not sure if that will interfere with interdicting stations, though. But we can't have warp crashing clients/servers.

If the devs adopted this strategy, they'd have to tell us exactly how it will work mechanics wise, since they'll be the ones who have to implement it. :p

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As a person who is evil, this would have to be done via stations. If it was able to be placed anywhere else, i would be building these into planets, fake asteroids, or in random places.

Now, one problem with the idea of an interdiction system: What happens when or if scanners can identify where the systems of a ship are? An interdiction system loses some of its value then, because we can simply target certain systems.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, I think this is how most people were thinking FTL would be in the first place. The current system is just silly in so many ways.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Using trading guild stations? Would also be a good excuse for another station design contest; build a warpgate station for generation in the game, with a specific gate ring size that would work for smaller craft new guys would be using, like a radius of 21 using the build helper tool, so all these trade guild gate stations would be compatible with one-another, and a newb can travel through them. Default warpgate network sounds great, though, unless newbs just get a free jump drive system, which I wouldn't oppose, as it's kinda important.

I like the suggested change to the jump drive function, but EVE online has ship max speeds, rather than a server speed limit. So for starmade you need a way to define how fast you have to be going. How about this: since jump drive modules aren't determining charge time anymore, let the ratio determine the % of server speedlimit your craft needs to achieve to enter warp. A 100% efficient drive, say, could reduce it to 10%, and everything beyond that approaches, but never reaches, zero. maybe cuts off at 1m/s minimum if anything else costs too much for calculations. Anything should be able to reach 1m/s.
    We need a margin of error for the alignment, too, since we don't have a point+click alignment function. Say just get you bow pointed within 2 degrees of the target vector.
    There's one other thing they can determine in this proposal; power usage per kilometer traveled, plus a small entry cost (50,000, say, since that's what your core has available.) to initiate travel over the first however many kilometers. This is kinda how EVE does it aswell, although for our system your capacitor could be drained by the second (millisecond?) spent in warp after passing the given distance, effectively allowing the jump drive ratio to have a power efficiency bonus as well. This, then, determines how far you can go in a jump, and kind of works like in Startrek, where the enterprise just keeps going and going until it's either told to stop (gotta have an uh-oh switch if we forgot to set a destination!) or something stops it.

There is an optimization we need, though:
    When warping, sectors around you aren't loaded until you exit warp. The game just ignores what's in them, although it keeps track of what sector you're in, checking that every so often so it knows where to dump you if an interdiction sphere/lack of power interrupts it. I'm not sure if that will interfere with interdicting stations, though. But we can't have warp crashing clients/servers.

If the devs adopted this strategy, they'd have to tell us exactly how it will work mechanics wise, since they'll be the ones who have to implement it. :p
    That is a good way of determining the minimum speed to get into warp. I intended for my suggestion to be a starting point for people to come up with a system that works with Starmade, which you have done. With the optimization, it wouldn't be two hard to quickly check the path it'll fly through, and if any sectors have an interdiction sphere in the way, then it loads that station and that station only, as it will become the new destination. When warping, the destination would be loaded before you actually reached the destination.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't see a problem with the current system. If you build your ship with fast warping in mind, then it's not an issue. A specialized warp ship can charge a warp drive system in about 4 seconds. Warping from one end of the galaxy to another should take a long time and be hard. It gives players more of a sense of accomplishment at reaching their destination. Faster travel times makes the universe feel smaller. If you want to warp faster, then you can build your own warp gates.

Warp drives are used to travel across a system, and to escape conflicts. For this reason, I am not in favor of mobile jamming, but I am okay with jammers on a base or planet to inhibit hit-and run tactics. If jammers were mobile, then we'd see hunter-prey tactics. Players that would prefer to avoid conflicts wouldn't be able to escape. Also, escape pods would effectively be useless if an area was jammed.

The issue of boarding came up with a reason to jam a warp drive. Boarding should be risky business. If the ship warps while you're grappled to it, well, too bad, you're going for a ride. If you want to prevent a ship from warping, then take out the warp drive computer.

The only way I'd be okay with mobile jamming is if the jamming ship suffered similar penalties like cloaked ships. Cloaked ships can't activate any other besides the radar jammer. For ships that can warp jam, these ships should be unable to move, fire, and loose all sheilding (which would mean support ships with astrotech beams and anti-missle turrets would be needed to support a mobile jammer-- it would also prevent the lone 12-year-old brat and his brother from greifing other players who just want to enjoy the game). Even then, I still think warp jamming shouldn't be in the game. StarMade isn't Eve Online, and never should be.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't see a problem with the current system. If you build your ship with fast warping in mind, then it's not an issue. A specialized warp ship can charge a warp drive system in about 4 seconds. Warping from one end of the galaxy to another should take a long time and be hard. It gives players more of a sense of accomplishment at reaching their destination. Faster travel times makes the universe feel smaller. If you want to warp faster, then you can build your own warp gates.

Warp drives are used to travel across a system, and to escape conflicts. For this reason, I am not in favor of mobile jamming, but I am okay with jammers on a base or planet to inhibit hit-and run tactics. If jammers were mobile, then we'd see hunter-prey tactics. Players that would prefer to avoid conflicts wouldn't be able to escape. Also, escape pods would effectively be useless if an area was jammed.

The issue of boarding came up with a reason to jam a warp drive. Boarding should be risky business. If the ship warps while you're grappled to it, well, too bad, you're going for a ride. If you want to prevent a ship from warping, then take out the warp drive computer.

The only way I'd be okay with mobile jamming is if the jamming ship suffered similar penalties like cloaked ships. Cloaked ships can't activate any other besides the radar jammer. For ships that can warp jam, these ships should be unable to move, fire, and loose all sheilding (which would mean support ships with astrotech beams and anti-missle turrets would be needed to support a mobile jammer-- it would also prevent the lone 12-year-old brat and his brother from greifing other players who just want to enjoy the game). Even then, I still think warp jamming shouldn't be in the game. StarMade isn't Eve Online, and never should be.
    This will not be considered for the same reason on the original thread, the only argument you're presenting is that it prevents a PVP element from existing, and forces people to go into fleets. Both of those are negatives, all I'm getting from this is that you simply don't want to lose your ship. As Azereiah said, when you leave a protected area, then you consent to PVP. If you don't want to do PVP, then don't go onto a PVP server. My methods show a way that a player isn't forced to go into fleets with an interdictor. My method creates a NEED for fleets, it doesn't FORCE people into fleets, that way, people like me who can't form a fleet as he doesn't have anyone to form it with, are able to access this new game mechanic. Your method effectively locks away this system from solo players, all so that PVP is easier for YOU exclusively.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Of course you can use it, on your own station. Just not on your own ship. If you want to PvP, go for it. But if they choose to warp away from a lone wolf, like you, then they should. Hence this prevents the lone 12-y/o brat from harassing new players that choose not to engage in combat until they are able to build a ship capable of fighting. But, should a player choose to do battle with a station, well then, they should expect it to be risky.

people like me who can't form a fleet as he doesn't have anyone to form it with,
    You are correct. You are exactly the type of player I want to prevent this feature from being used by. Make some friends.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Of course you can use it, on your own station. Just not on your own ship. If you want to PvP, go for it. But if they choose to warp away from a lone wolf, like you, then they should. Hence this prevents the lone 12-y/o brat from harassing new players that choose not to engage in combat until they are able to build a ship capable of fighting. But, should a player choose to do battle with a station, well then, they should expect it to be risky.

You are correct. You are exactly the type of player I want to prevent this feature from being used by. Make some friends.
    But why should we prevent the "12-y/o brat" from having access to this feature? You are now discriminating against a very large demographic of the current gaming community, and as usual, your entire reasoning is that you don't want to PVP. There is absolutely no reason why "12-y/o brats" and me shouldn't be able to access this feature.

And what exactly makes the type of player that shouldn't have access to this feature? Why should I not be allowed to interdict someone? So far, you have gotten the fact that I'm defending the use of interdiction, and assumed that I am of a demographic that only plays games to make other players lives worse, which, in case you haven't noticed, is so far non-existent in the Starmade community. Everything can be abused in one way or another, no matter what, and saying that interdictors can be abused is not a reason as to why they shouldn't exist. If anything, that's more of a reason, because something that is honestly really fun, is seeing the creative ways that people can possibly use these, so many different ways that people could be a pirate with this, other than the usual shoot at some guy and hope he doesn't warp away.

"Make some friends." At this point, you're just insulting me, and that isn't how you convince me, or anyone here to change our minds. So far, all you've done is just repeat the same reason, that YOU won't accept, that YOU don't like it, and so far, it's YOU exclusively who doesn't like it. In the end, your opinion was heard, but how you've gone about presenting it has caused it to be ignored. Your argument is now irrelevant to the topic at hand, I hope you finally stop this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    PVP is fine, My argument is, if a player wishes to avoid PvP, then they should have the option by using their warp drives. However, if they choose to be involved in fleet combat, then warp jammers have their place to keep the battle field level.

Your proposal would prevent players from avoiding PvP, if they choose not to, or are not in a ship designed for combat. I know some players get kicks out of blowing stuff up, but someone who spent 20 hours designing their ship should have the choice to jump out of a system and avoid it being blown by a lone wolf if they choose to.

This isn't Eve Online. Ships are designed and crafted, not bought from limited selection of designs.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    PVP is fine, My argument is, if a player wishes to avoid PvP, then they should have the option by using their warp drives. However, if they choose to be involved in fleet combat, then warp jammers have their place to keep the battle field level.

Your proposal would prevent players from avoiding PvP, if they choose not to, or are not in a ship designed for combat. I know some players get kicks out of blowing stuff up, but someone who spent 20 hours designing their ship should have the choice to jump out of a system and avoid it being blown by a lone wolf if they choose to.

This isn't Eve Online. Ships are designed and crafted, not bought from limited selection of designs.
    Again, as Azereiah said, when you leave a PVP free area, then you consent to PVP. If you don't want to PVP, then go onto a PVP free server, or play singleplayer. Blueprint's are there to keep your ship stored somewhere safe, that way you don't have to spend so much time redesigning it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Again, as Azereiah said, when you leave a PVP free area, then you consent to PVP. If you don't want to PVP, then go onto a PVP free server, or play singleplayer. Blueprint's are there to keep your ship stored somewhere safe, that way you don't have to spend so much time redesigning it.
    Let me break this down for you:
    • You want the game to change because you don't like warp drives because they make you upset because players can escape you. This makes you upset, so you want the mechanics to change to suit the playing style you're used to in EVE Online. If you like that sort of game play, then there's a game for you: EVE Online. What you propose limits a other players choices: The choice to run or to fight.
    • I want the game to remain the same because warp drives allows me to escape combat when I don't want to engage in it. I may have better things to do that engage in a little pew pew. Or maybe I'm in a specialized non-combative ship moving materials or mining the belts. I like this, and I want the game mechanics to remain the same. If I wanted the EVE Online mechanics, I'd still be playing EVE Online. Keeping the game open as it is gives players more choices in how they choose to play.
    Neither of us will agree on this matter, ever. That much is certain. But limiting players choices is not a good game design decision.

Or, let me make it even simpler for you:

You want war
    I want freedom

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Let me break this down for you:
    • You want the game to change because you don't like warp drives because they make you upset because players can escape you. This makes you upset, so you want the mechanics to change to suit the playing style you're used to in EVE Online. If you like that sort of game play, then there's a game for you: EVE Online. What you propose limits a other players choices: The choice to run or to fight.
    • I want the game to remain the same because warp drives allows me to escape combat when I don't want to engage in it. I may have better things to do that engage in a little pew pew. Or maybe I'm in a specialized non-combative ship moving materials or mining the belts. I like this, and I want the game mechanics to remain the same. If I wanted the EVE Online mechanics, I'd still be playing EVE Online. Keeping the game open as it is gives players more choices in how they choose to play.
    Neither of us will agree on this matter, ever. That much is certain. But limiting players choices is not a good game design decision.

You want war
    I want freedom
    Where, in any possible existence, did I say that I don't like warp drives because players can escape me. I'm not a pirate, I don't play the game too often even, but when I do, it's simply building. I've proposed these ideas to fix the current problem of scale, as I stated. When you leave a non-PVP area into a PVP area, then you consent to PVP. No matter what. Just because you don't want to lose a ship, doesn't mean that a possible mechanic which can bring in so much more, is going to vanish. YOU are the one limiting player choices, as I have explained previously. It seems as though you aren't even considering what I'm saying, and just repeating what you want for the same irrelevant reasons in hopes that I'll submit. I'm done with this argument, you can't seem to listen to reason. Consider what I've said, with thought, and actually come to a conclusion that isn't entirely based around you. Good day!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

You want war
    I want freedom
    And we want the freedom to go to war!

Missing the point again nightwalker_007, war IS the point! If you're taking a specialized mining ship into sectors that you KNOW you're going to get attacked, then why are you so worried about loosing your ship? Risk = reward; it's older than gaming itself. If you don't think that asteroid full of minerals is worth the risk, then find a safer place to mine or put some weapons on that ship. Even my very first salvager had cannons on it, just in case.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, on to the real discussion;

I do agree that the sectors could use some up-sizing, I don't usually bother using my jump drive if I'm just heading to the TG shop in my system, even if it is a few sectors away. I have more fun testing out how fast I can get my ship to go after adding overdrive to it, and topping out a 121.5 m/s on my current speedster, it doesn't take more than a few minutes. Now if sectors were even twice the size they are now, then jumping would be the way to go. Systems would also feel a little less cramped this way, I've been in systems that have so many TG shops so close together it's like seeing a Starbucks across the street from a Starbucks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have a idea
    what if instead of having to get to a certain speed to use warp drives.
    The faster your speed when you activate the warp drive the less power it uses and the quicker it reloads.
    Lets say the server speed limit is 100km
    e.g If you are going 50km then the warp drive uses 1.5x more power
    if you are going 0km then the warp drive uses 2x more power
    100km-1x more power
    200km-0.5x more power
    150km-0.75x more power
    etc.

Reactions: hunterRAE
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Somewhat surprisingly, it seems there has been no mention of a possible anti-interdiction module. Given that a lot of inspiration is being drawn from EVE Online, here, I think it's important to point out that that game features modules which make a ship harder to interdict. I don't think a system such as this should exist without such a counter.

How I think such a system might work in Starmade:
    • This system would only defend against ship-board interdiction systems, not bubbles projected by stationary structures (Yep, like in EVE).
    • The respective 'strength' values of this and any given interdiction system should both be effected, to some extent, by mass (most simply, strength=module count/mass, although this might cause balance issues with larger ships). Greater strength value wins, naturally.
    • This being based upon some kind of system:mass ratio would mean that it is not so much "bigger ship wins", as much as it is "more specialized ship wins". That dude wants to completely gimp his ship by making it a 1:1:1 ratio of jump drive:anti-interdiction:power modules, just so it can travel rapidly and (probably) without interruption? Sure, why not. The "big bad" of the galaxy wants to deploy tiny, fragile interdictors with such a stupidly high interdictor:mass ratio that very few ships can escape their grasp? Sounds fair, a few well-placed shots can probably make such a ship go away, for good.
    I think that something along those lines would give fair opportunities for pacifistic players to avoid the majority of combat, by specializing into anti-interdiction systems, while still retaining the possibility of a damnably committed pirate group stopping them in their tracks; if the pirate can hold on, in their probably-fragile specialist interdictor, while their friends (which they might presumably require, since their own ship would probably not be capable of solo combat and high-strength interdiction) do the dirty work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Note: these ideas originated from a suggestion on possible interdiction methods: Interdiction - No Escape!

Scale is something that has always been considered a problem for Starmade. It's been said time and time again, that the distance between places should be much greater. Well, so far, there's a simple solution for that. Increase the sector size, server's have already been doing it, but it creates a new problem, it tests people's patience, a LOT. So, I propose a system, that will make warp much more mainstream, open the door to possibilities such as interdiction, and make the scale of Starmade far greater than before.

So, what space game does scale best? My first answer is EVE Online. EVE is an extremely successful game, one of those reason is the scale. There are massive distances between objects in each system, which create the need for using warp drives to get from A to B. The same can be said about multiple servers on Starmade, sector sizes have been increased drastically to improve the scale of everything. But like EVE, these distances create a need for warp drive to be used.

What's wrong with using warp drive? Well, it takes a massive amount of time to charge it up. Long distance travelling becomes extremely annoying when we have to spend a few minutes holding left click to charge the warp drive.

Why not use the thrusters? Because they aren't meant to be used to fly across a galaxy. Thrusters are used for short range travel, both in real life, and in EVE. EVE's warp system is, while simple, very effective. The time it takes to get into warp, is decided by how quickly you can align yourself with the destination, and how quickly you can get to 75% of your ships top speed. The warp then propels your ship in the direction, at ludicrous speeds, it doesn't matter if any objects are in your way, because the science of warp shows that you're moving the space-time around your ship, you will effectively warp through objects, in the game and in real life.

So, where exactly am I going with this? I propose that we replace the current warp's charging system, with something that's a lot quicker and requires more interaction, such as aligning yourself with your destination. After that, it is entirely possible that we would then have to reach a certain speed before actually warping. I also suggest that we change the idea that we teleport from the origin point to the destination, to actually flying in it's destination. This would allow interdictor structures to catch your warp, and stop it.

If the appropriate changes were made to the warp system, then warping would become a much more viable option, making it significantly more mainstream, allowing the sectors to be enlarged massively, with no real harm. It would make the scale feel much greater, and solve the scale problems that has plagued Starmade for a while now. This also opens the door, for interdicting.

Interdicting is simply preventing a ship from warping. Whether it's a structure with an AOE catching a ship in warp, are mobile interdiction modules found on specialized ships, to prevent a fleet's prey from escaping.

An interdictor structure would be placed by a player, it would be a station with a interdiction module that can only be fitted onto stations. This interdiction module would be able to stop all warps, and the amount of modules attached to the computer will increase it's range. Any ship warping through it will be stopped, and any ships trying to warp out of it won't be able to do so. You could use these as a defense grid around important locations, such as the way Homeworld did, by surrounding your final goal with Hyperspace Inhibitors, preventing you from getting to it without destroying said inhibitors.

There would also be Interdictor ships. These ships would fit on Interdictors like any weapon system, with a computer and modules. The range is always a fixed range, which can be increased by slaving a damaged beam to the interdictor computer. The interdictor modules would determine the effectiveness of the interdictor, in a ratio sense. In order for a ship to fully prevent another ship from warping, it has to have a 1:1 ratio with the warp drive modules, or greater. Otherwise, the other ship can easily escape. These interdictor modules would also eat up a retarded amount of power, depending on how many of the modules there are. You could then end up with destroyers capable of jamming fighters and corvettes, while still having power for weapons, yet it won't be able to jam battlecruisers and capital ships. So if you want to jam capital ships as a destroyer, then you'll have to sacrifice your weapons for more interdicting modules, creating the need for fleets.

To summarize, changing the warp to be similar to EVE Online's will allow scale to be fixed, and adding interdictors to work alongside that warp system will create a new type of ship to build, create new PVP tactics, both alone and in fleets.
    You, I like you :)

Reactions: Blaza612