Hyperdrive v jump drive

Reaction score
    I have been looking through a lot of the hyperdrive suggestions/ideas/complaints on the forums and have come up with an idea that I am yet to see listed so I figured I would chuck my two cents into the discussion.

Let me start off by saying that as it stands I am not a fan of the current jump drive, I mean, I like it for the convenience it offers in getting around the galaxy, but its method kind of bothers me, the whole charge up and instantly jump a number of sectors away (as setup by the server) is kind of crap IMO and I have always looked at the current drive as a place holder until we can have the real thing :P, also to add I am still un sure how I feel about the announced hyperdrive, something just feels off to me with the setup.

With that being said, I mean no disrespect to the devs and I love the game, so here is my proposal for a Hyperdrive system.

Get rid of the current jump drive model and replace with a Hyperdrive, a device that would work like follows-
    - Similar to jump drive now - 1 computer for activation and adding module blocks increases the efficiency

- Instead of a "charge up" you would have a "cool down" IE drive can't be used again for x time

- Drive requires power similar to current thrust but it drains at a different rate in hyperspace

- Hyperspace travel takes time rather than the instant jump we have now, During travel your ship would be on auto pilot until you either reach your destination, run our of power or drop out manually

- Ships are "Out of render" when In hyperspace meaning you can't be seen by other players outside of your ship, in this mode you will pass through any object in your path as you are in "subspace"

- Drives have an emergency mode, this mode overrides the cool down, in case you drop out in a hostile sector, however this window would only take you 1 or 2 sectors away and force you back out to wait for the CD to finish

- The speed of hyperspace would have to be relative to the sector sizes, so I'm not sure how this would be worked out

- We get a cool Hyperspace visual on the ship :)

- Weapons are disabled in Hyperspace, maybe shields are lowered too?

Those are just the core of my idea, I think these changes open us up to an entire new world of gameplay.

I look forward to the discussions to come.

Regards
    Gareth.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the idea as an alternative to jump drives, but u wouldn't phase out jump drives altogether.

I've mentioned in other posts about the subject that jump drives vs. Hyper drives is basically comparing a space fold system to true ftl; meaning that if you want to make a quick jump away from danger or to ambush someone you'd use a jump drive. Want to get from one galaxy to another? Turn on the hyper drive and sit back while your ship travels to its destination.

Reaction score
    Love the idea but i think charging should not be removed or it can be easily abused to gtfo outta fights real quick, plus it makes logical sense that something that will take you to light speed will take time to charge.

The travel time also makes people actually want to make interior look nice and functional so they can use it during warp

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Jump Drive = Emergency mode.
    Keep Jump Drives.
    As stated by Voidrayx a instant reuse could and would most likely be re-used.
    Add to that the Devs have stated hyperdrive will most likely be a larger system for larger ships so Jump will remain the mainstay for smaller ships and new players.

Reaction score
    I like the idea as an alternative to jump drives, but u wouldn't phase out jump drives altogether.

I've mentioned in other posts about the subject that jump drives vs. Hyper drives is basically comparing a space fold system to true ftl; meaning that if you want to make a quick jump away from danger or to ambush someone you'd use a jump drive. Want to get from one galaxy to another? Turn on the hyper drive and sit back while your ship travels to its destination.
    Good points, but as for the quick jump to avoid danger, this is one of the reasons I don't like the Jump drive :P

Love the idea but i think charging should not be removed or it can be easily abused to gtfo outta fights real quick, plus it makes logical sense that something that will take you to light speed will take time to charge.

The travel time also makes people actually want to make interior look nice and functional so they can use it during warp
    T he charge time is replaced with a cooldown time so for X time after you have dropped out you can not re use, maybe even add a 10 sec or something timer after you activate the drive, and my god yes, some nice looking interiors.

Jump Drive = Emergency mode.
    Keep Jump Drives.
    As stated by Voidrayx a instant reuse could and would most likely be re-used.
    Add to that the Devs have stated hyperdrive will most likely be a larger system for larger ships so Jump will remain the mainstay for smaller ships and new players.
    The Drives in my idea have a once per cool down emergency jump and the hyperdrives they seem to have in mind bother me, I don't like the idea of them being really a capital ship thing and slowing the ships down makes. them kind of crap imo

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Keep jumpdrives as they are, add hyperdrives the way you described the jumpdrive rework.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Jump drives should have a cooldown, but not ridiculously long. In BSG, the FTL drive needed a small cooldown, but you could still jump in and then out. If you don't want a jump and run, have an jump drive blocker on your ship and trap them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I'd say maybe limit the number of active jump drives the ship can have at a time, if you really needed to regulate jump drives.

Reaction score
    I'd say maybe limit the number of active jump drives the ship can have at a time, if you really needed to regulate jump drives.

Yeah I agree with that, would be kind of hard to do if they have both Jump and Hyperspace in the game I would think.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yeah I agree with that, would be kind of hard to do if they have both Jump and Hyperspace in the game I would think.
    Hyperspace is just accelerated speed, jump drive is point a-b almost instantly. Hyperspace would be able to be followed, but as long as jump drive is long enough range you jump away scott free.

Reaction score
    Hyperspace is just accelerated speed, jump drive is point a-b almost instantly. Hyperspace would be able to be followed, but as long as jump drive is long enough range you jump away scott free.
    Hyperspace is more than accelerated speed, it opens a window to subspace where the ship travels outside of our normal space time, you could try to follow a ship by jumping in the same direction but without knowing where they will drop out you may never find them.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Jumpdrives would be more space efficient on smaller ships while Hyperdrives are for heavy capitals?

Also no shields going down they are the only thing keeping your ship together in subspace.

Reaction score
    Hyperspace/Subspace could be implemented similar to the way Minecraft uses the nether. It's a different dimension with an 8:1 ratio this would make traveling faster. This space could also be occupied with some sort of aliens making it dangerous to enter.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Uh, that would be a subspace tear similar to Species 8472's realm. This would require a lot of work and would be against starmade's mantra of no loading screens after the first one.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    i totally agree with your suggestion with its trekkie touch :P

Reaction score
    Jumpdrives would be more space efficient on smaller ships while Hyperdrives are for heavy capitals?

Also no shields going down they are the only thing keeping your ship together in subspace.
    Jump drives may work for say a very small scout ship sure.
    The shields should not be off, but rather down to like 50% or something making you have to wait for them to recharge to full upon hyperspace exit.

Hyperspace/Subspace could be implemented similar to the way Minecraft uses the nether. It's a different dimension with an 8:1 ratio this would make traveling faster. This space could also be occupied with some sort of aliens making it dangerous to enter.
    I like the ratio idea, very similar to my idea of hyperspace travel = time taken to cross the sector at sublight X something, 8:1 may be a little slow but still a cool idea.
    I don't think there should be enemies in Sub space though, it should be for travel only, thus would also avoid loading screens if we just get a graphic similar to jump launch for the entire sub space trip.

i totally agree with your suggestion with its trekkie touch :p
    I was thinking more down the lines of stargate :) I thought treck used warp?