Can this idea be improved upon?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    I kind of did. :p

Again, make it that it doesn't use as much power or shuts down any systems, or multiplies damage, but it doesn't repair as much as it would with those debuffs. This will allow the repairer to be used in combat, to prevent it from being redundant as well as providing a new fitting to improve ship versatility.

The repair amount will not be fixed either. The amount that's repaired is dependent on the % of mass/blocks that the modules make up. Thus, if a ship wishes to specialize in tank, then they can do so, but it will be at the cost of other system space, thus providing the balance.
    Sounds like you're thinking of Eve online's hull/armor repair systems.

To improve hull/armor health and durability we have a defensive effects module that we can use for combat.

Even if a mediocre version of a shipyard, it'd be nice to have something to tide a player, or even a fleet, over until a shipyard is made accessible.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sounds like you're thinking of Eve online's hull/armor repair systems.
    One thing I don't get, is when people A) assume this, and B) See it as a bad thing. Getting mechanics/ideas from currently existing games when they work if implemented here, is fine. There really isn't a problem with this, especially since EVE is a very highly regarded game, since it has many things just right.

To improve hull/armor health and durability we have a defensive effects module that we can use for combat.
    Those only defend against their subsequent effects, and it'd still be nicer to have a wider range of modules that can create more variety.

Even if a mediocre version of a shipyard, it'd be nice to have something to tide a player, or even a fleet, over until a shipyard is made accessible.
    Again, it can still do this, just not at the extreme rate previously thought. (I know there weren't any numbers given, however the debuffs give the idea of a high repair rate)

Reaction score
    I'm actually really fond of Eve's armor and shield taking abilities (depending on which faction's ships you're flying), however for Starmade it would be substantially more difficult to implement since we only have modules, and not module ranks or levels.

I think I listed the repair rate at anywhere between 20 seconds and a full minute, depending on the block being repaired and its current health (a single advanced block with near-zero remaining health would take a minute or more to repair to full durability), plus the limit of ( I think ) 4 repaired blocks per hull regen module. So, in 1 minute, 4 blocks per module could be repaired. With two modules, that'd be 8. 5 modules, 20. So on so forth.

The biggest issue I see with what I think you're wanting is that damage is focused on a single block, the point of impact. Exceptions being missiles and beams or cannons with explosive modules. the work-around to that is all damage is dispersed along adjacent modules, effectively increasing how much damage a section of your ship can absorb before its armor breaking. At which point it'd be good to see Armor Reinforcement blocks that further increase how far the damage is absorbed out (more blocks are included in dispersing the damage).

At the end of the day, this game's incredibly far from complete and we'll have to look at future updates to get more out of it.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There should probably be a server-configurable upper-limit to mobile repair also. (E.g. A block can only be repaired up to 80% of its max HP outside of drydock.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hull Regeneration would fit well with an organic or biological ship theme, as in the hull heals itself. Or even a Borg theme, invisible nanites repairing the hull.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    just going to put this out there that some servers dont allow or limit the size of shipyards due to bugs so on those servers this would be great for repairing. the only alternative on those servers for repairing critically damaged ships is using bps to deconstruct and respawn the ship

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    just going to put this out there that some servers dont allow or limit the size of shipyards due to bugs so on those servers this would be great for repairing. the only alternative on those servers for repairing critically damaged ships is using bps to deconstruct and respawn the ship
    The only server I know of with such a limit is GenXNova, and that only applies to ship. Same goes for the server I play on every now and then, Shattered Skies, it has a limit of only 750 in any dimension, but IIRC, that only applies to ships, not stations, since the stations need to accommodate those ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The only server I know of with such a limit is GenXNova, and that only applies to ship. Same goes for the server I play on every now and then, Shattered Skies, it has a limit of only 750 in any dimension, but IIRC, that only applies to ships, not stations, since the stations need to accommodate those ships.
    due to the way designs are stored in pieces on the server hard drive the server i play on has limited the size of ships built/repaired with shipyards to the size of one file (a small shuttle at best).

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    due to the way designs are stored in pieces on the server hard drive the server i play on has limited the size of ships built/repaired with shipyards to the size of one file (a small shuttle at best).
    That's at the server's fault. They probably need to have better hardware if they can only handle designs the size of a small shuttle. Either that, or the developers need to optimize the designs. Not only that, but the repairer can still be used out of combat.

Reaction score
    Meh. I'd rather see this being focused repair.

High power usage is a perfectly acceptable thing to get that critically damaged system back up to snuff.
    EX: I just got shot through with a piercing weapon, but murderized the ship what did it.
    I'm minus anywher from a 1/4, to 1/2 of my SHP, but the armor's basically fine.

I'd love to have those delicate internals be patched back together in the field, like USA WW-II carriers did all the fecking time.
    Naturally, getting hit in the Damage Control module screws you over just like getting shot in the jump-drive does.

Yes, the biggest reason for this is either In-Combat, to bring a hosed system back online in a hurry, or immediately after, to bring the thrusters/shields back from their "outage" states.

I'm sure we've all lost a battle or two from that thrice-damnned "controls unresponsive" system outage.
    (was charging my drive so I could flee, had to dodge lot's of crap coming my way, took a hit, lost control, and could no longer dodge anything at all.)

Allso, this would basically need yet-another mechanics change to be "fully" worth it, wherein I could have all my thrusters "intact" but near Zero-HP per block. I'd thus have all the thruster related outages, but all the blocks are still there. (and a further change wuld allow then to eventually "break" at which point they lose what hp they have left)

^^ that kinda stuff is where Damage-control shines, but the game basically can't allow it yet, because the vast majority of "outages" are done by remaining block-count.

Reactions: Blaza612

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Meh. I'd rather see this being focused repair.

High power usage is a perfectly acceptable thing to get that critically damaged system back up to snuff.
    EX: I just got shot through with a piercing weapon, but murderized the ship what did it.
    I'm minus anywher from a 1/4, to 1/2 of my SHP, but the armor's basically fine.

I'd love to have those delicate internals be patched back together in the field, like USA WW-II carriers did all the fecking time.
    Naturally, getting hit in the Damage Control module screws you over just like getting shot in the jump-drive does.

Yes, the biggest reason for this is either In-Combat, to bring a hosed system back online in a hurry, or immediately after, to bring the thrusters/shields back from their "outage" states.

I'm sure we've all lost a battle or two from that thrice-damnned "controls unresponsive" system outage.
    (was charging my drive so I could flee, had to dodge lot's of crap coming my way, took a hit, lost control, and could no longer dodge anything at all.)

Allso, this would basically need yet-another mechanics change to be "fully" worth it, wherein I could have all my thrusters "intact" but near Zero-HP per block. I'd thus have all the thruster related outages, but all the blocks are still there. (and a further change wuld allow then to eventually "break" at which point they lose what hp they have left)

^^ that kinda stuff is where Damage-control shines, but the game basically can't allow it yet, because the vast majority of "outages" are done by remaining block-count.
    I love every bit of this. OP, GET ON IT :p

Reaction score
    Shipyards
    [DOUBLEPOST=1453785251,1453785145][/DOUBLEPOST]

This is what happens when I have to repeat stuff so many times. BTW I can't be showing off any big dicks, it's too small. ;)
    That is assuming you have a shipyard or even a station. I'm nomadic I don't do stations.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That is assuming you have a shipyard or even a station. I'm nomadic I don't do stations.
    NON-CONFORMISTS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT. ;)

I was pushing for the ability to live as Nomad, but discussion died down on that thread, sadly

Reaction score
    Meh, the biggest problem with Stations right now, is the Dev team.

Probably their boss, actually, but since he's "one of them" it's the Dev team at fault.

Just buff the stations instead of trying to nerf the ships moar, and everything'll work out.

Reaction score
    based on what I have read. Adding a system/armor regen system while a cool idea would not be practical.
    The current Shipyard system works. Bare in mind that you need a shipyard to use it, but there are not many that have a ship that would need dedicated repair systems that do not already have a station/shipyard.

Having a ship going around with enough extra mass to repair possible damage from an attack, slows it down, and in the cases of overheat or loss of the ship all the cargo is lost as well.

A system that repaired the remaining damaged blocks through regen might not be bad. It would not patch wholes in the ship but could cut the cost of repairs down, as the only thing needed after it did its thing would be to replace the missing blocks. All of this requires some form of base of operations to replace missing blocks, which again leads back to the having a shipyard/station.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Then what the fuck is the purpose of it? To provide a way to half-ass repairs on ye ship? Seriously, without it being able to be used in combat, then the point of it is null! It's useless! THERE IS NO LOGICAL REASON WHY IT SHOULDN'T BE USED IN COMBAT!
    After combat, without returning to base

(Not saying it's a good idea.)

Reaction score
    What stops it to be invincible like shield regen after a broken patch?
    Perhaps only hull blocks should regenerate and have a regeneration delay of a few seconds? Inverse destruction after delay.

During delay, you can punch through and kill system blocks (not regenerating) or turn your ship to face the enemy with not damaged armour.
    hell yea I want THAT !!!