How to build ships in generall? building techniques.

Reaction score
    Hello!

I Usually start small ships with a power reactor skeliton so i see the ship. I then put armor around it, and add systems and weapons last.

I have never build anything big, or even medium. (Unless you count a borg cube as a ship :) ) And i want to ask the community, HOW THE HELL DO U GUYS MAKE SUCH DETAILED SHIPS! even the medium sizes look epic! Can someone give me a step-by-step guide on how to make medium -big sized ships?
    (preferably with pictures :D ) I think my strategy is not really efficient for big and medium ships. :confused:
    My ships usually turn out very blocky :(

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    In my case I just string some rods, circles, and a few other basic shapes together to make a ship. Currently working on one of many small starter ships for my faction. Needless to say it consists on a single rod section and a ring shaped turret. :)

Reactions: Wolflaynce
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Have a plan going in, but don't be afraid to change it. I'm working on something that started with a plan but has kind of degenerated into whatever I feel like adding now, and I don't really feel I've lost anything for straying as I've had lots of new ideas. Use the advanced build mode axis tools, they help a lot. I'm pretty sure everyone kind of does it their own way. If you need inspiration, google some images for ideas. And remember, it's your creation, so as long is it's the way you want it to be, that's all that matters.

Reactions: Wolflaynce

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Crus, your framework skills are OP.

nerf pl0x

Reaction score
    I, personally, made a graph sketch of what I want and then go from there. You can design half the ship, copy-paste-flip it and have the other half (if you're going for exact symmetry). Have an idea for length width, but keep height in mind if you want to include interior docking and hangars. Then keep in mind that if you build big you'll probably want some logic-based elevators and/or trams, and you'll need extra space to account for that.

Always go in with a plan.

And, if you don't like it, another ship with some nuking launchers

Reaction score
    Let's see:

first you can look closer at the things others are building and just try to rebuild and then change up a bit the elements you think ar espacially cool. You know, learning by imitation.

Surely you have a favourite sifi franchise. These thinks are good inspiration for gnerell hull shapes.

When you then begin to design your first more or less fully original ship, it might help to start with the purpose and how you imagine it to function.
    It's an pure Attackship? How about a giant gun, as if it's build around it, or maybe a platform for a ton of smaller guns.
    It's one the fastest ships in your galaxy? Something sleek and streamlined might be good.
    A fliying tank? Armorplates! Maybe a bit bulky?
    Whatever it will be, you need a generell idea of the shape. Rough sketches can here realy help to keep you focused.
    And don't be afraid to make major changes in the design, during the construction.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Personally, I build (it seems) Differently to many. I start at the front and move back. Typically this means i have a general idea of how big a build is going to be before hand, but not much else. I did make a video series (and i'm still working on it) about designing ships, so I'll like that here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQO_zhIbpid2RSb8dJnium3CF3BP5VUMv Beyond that, most of what a lot of us do is trial and error :P. I personally think that's the fun part though :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I base my ship details off of Dalmont's ships because I really like them. A couple of things I do is add
    -Armor belts
    -Armor plates
    -Outer armor plates (connected to ship by a pillar)
    And this is all for my small ships. Just build the hull with octagonal/ hexagonal/ rectangular shapes, add your details, plan where you want your systems to go, and any leftover space fill with either thrusters or shield rechargers. Here's one I just got finished:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Best advice I can give is to simply start with basic shapes and then decorate.

Also, don't be afraid to put in blocks you know you're going to cut out later.

So say you're making a miner, start off with a bridge (as in, a room that lets you access your core), and then build your salvage array. Add in a simple box reactor around your array, and wrap a hull around it. You now typically have the classic flying shoebox or pringles can.

Look up at solarapple's detailed ship up there. Ignore the greebles and just look at the shape. Its a shoebox tacked onto the front of another shoebox. As in, the front half is a rectangular box sitting vertically, and its on a slightly larger rectangular box in the back sitting horizontally. Then he just added bulges to the sides, some piping and shapes here and there, and he had an interesting looking ship.

Thats how you do it. Build your ship as a basic shape. Add some lumps to it, then detail your lumps. You don't even have to plan it out ahead of time very much. Build your pringles can cylinder mining ship thats nothing but power and salvage arrays. You want some weapon arrays for it? Great, add some boxes to the sides to put them in. Need more room for shields or more power storage? Add a bigger section in the back to house it in.

Just keep doing that until your ship has everything you want, then start rounding off the corners with wedges. Then start adding some details like piping (which is just a fancy way of saying "drop some lines of blocks that serve no purpose other than to be lines of blocks that look like pipes"), cut some holes in the hull and then drop the hull level by one block in them so that you have recesses. Or do the opposite, add plates on top of the base hull to look like armor segments.

Don't try to build an uber-fancy ship from the start, because it'll bog you down until you don't know which way is up. Start with big simple shapes, then refine them down one step at a time. Don't be afraid to build shape segments that you know you'll completely redo simply to have them as placeholders so you can visualize the size and shape of that area for later. Big shapes refine into smaller shapes, smaller shapes get greebled ("greebles" being a movie model building term for decorations that only serve to break up large flat surfaces to make it more visually interesting).

It also helps if you sit down before you start building ships and come up with a "look" for all of your stuff. As in, figure out if you want to have a unified color scheme, and a uniform decoration style.

For example, the "look" my stuff has on my current server is Base Black, Red Armor, Grey Highlight, and Lava Power.

By that I mean I start all of my stuff in black. Black is the standard hull for everything (I usually use Black Standard Armor). Basic shape gets made out of this. Red Armor means I then go in and put red plates over things as if they were armor (usually just Red Standard Armor) to give them a look of being layered. Grey Highlight means my piping is generally Grey Standard Armor, the docking ports are grey, etc. Then the Lava Power is the final big unifying theme. I decided that I wanted my ships to have glowie parts, so I decided that my ships and stations are "powered" by lava. So they will have big open vats of lava, smaller vats of lava enclosed in glass or crystal armor, tubes of lava running between major parts, etc. Basically that my tech thematically stores power in hot lava the way Trek ships use plasma (remember, the EPS conduits are Electrified Plasma Systems).

That way, when I build a ship or station, not only do I keep everything looking like it belongs together, but I can flat out steal decoration ideas from one and paste them onto another and it makes them all look better instead of looking like I just re-used the same bits everywhere.

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    There is no tutorial for building ship,you must use your own creativity :schema:

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    There are lots of tutorials for building ships. Just check Youtube.
    I mean,there are no tutorials,that will teach you to build nice ships.If you find something,then reply me :cool:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    These are designs,I watched it,and I am still building bad ships.This will give you tips,but to create a pretty ship,you must work,and use your creativity.
    Well yeah, but it sounds like you were basically saying "There are no tutorials to learn how to paint" just because there aren't any that will instantly turn you into Picasso.

Like any creative act, you can only be shown the techniques and examples, its still going to be up to you to practice them and come out with good results.