How Drone Mining Works

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I have been drone mining (using fleets, of course) more and more lately. After extensive fine tuning of my drones, my carryall, and my technique I'm really loving it now. As a family man who works from home and often needs to be AFK unexpectedly while playing SM, I've found that mining drones go a long ways towards making up part of the resource gap between myself and kids with 6-10 hours to play without interruption several days a week.

Under the current build, mining drones actually work reasonably well, and you can use them to your profit!

Like chaindrives and docked reactors, their creation is very much not a 1st Tier affair, but DO NOT be misled by the complaints of those who are unable to make it work. It DOES work. It just requires a lot of persistence, a lot of familiarity with the game, and a willingness to try a few times before you get drones that work.

I strongly recommend downloading vetted mining drones from a good engineer over everyone trying to build their own then melting down over how it isn't working. Drone creation has gotten much easier these days, but I have retained my old set of tips used to get around the super-bugs surrounding the old mining drones:
    OLD Drone Creation Guide - now obsolete due to improved fleet AI:
    1. Do not build a drone then test it. Drop a core, add power, thrust, salvage and storage ONLY then test it before going even one step further. Because some cores seem to just refuse to work for drone mining. Ever. I have no explanation, I know only that once I establish that a new core works for mining, it does - even upon BP respawn, importing and exporting. So don't waste time - first make sure the core is good.
    2. Build your basic systems first before investing time into appearance. Certain configurations seem to break drones (I suspect not having a central beam within their array does this, and possibly having the mining array all in front of or behind the core, as well as possibly the center of gravity being too far from the core, and other strange things).
    3. When you have a decent sized drone that works - BLUEPRINT IT BEFORE GOING FARTHER! I think that when something breaks a drone miner, even reversing the change doesn't fix it, but the BP will let you go back to a stage where it worked.
    4. Stop work frequently to test and then re-blueprint your drone.
    5. Slaving systems to salvage seems to break drones.
    6. Putting effects on drones seems to break them.
    7. More than 2-2.5 thrust ratio seems to break drones.
    8. KEEP IT SIMPLE UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT WORKS!
    9. Drones work just fine with multiple groups if you plan those groups to hit nearby rock material as the drone attempts to mine single blocks, but as noted certain configurations seem to break them.
    10. Drones seem to aim from their center at a single block, often a block on the tip of the edge of the rock rather than even marginally centered, so a wide array has proven most effective in my experience.
    11. I've heard that drones use mostly horizontal sweeps - sit on top of one at work and see for yourself - they sometimes go vertical or just fire at a fixed point. I find wide, circular mining arrays most effective.
    12. Sometimes as you move about during creating & testing, Starmade may have errors with sector transitions and bad locations. When you order your drones to mine, they just sit there looking at you like you're stupid because while your GUI tells you that you are in a sector with an asteroid, your drones know that this information is incorrect and there is nothing in-sector for them to mine. This is not the drones being broken, it is normal sector transition problems making you give bad orders. As with many problems in Starmade, relogging can make all the difference.

Drone mining is not a replacement for active mining - it is a supplement. It is only 1/4 as fast as active mining, but it works even when you are AFK, so the best policy I've found is a mothership with its own strong mining array so you can actively mine with some minor assistance from your drones, then when you (inevitably) get distracted by faction chat or a phone call, your drones will steadfastly continue working until you return to active mining or they've cleared the sector.

Drones sometimes 'rest' for a few minutes but typically resume mining on their own. Occasionally they stall completely - usually when something unusual happens like your astronaut boards a core that is not their mothership while they mine (that usually pisses them off bigtime!)

If your drones finish mining a sector, then refuse to move on to a new sector, or otherwise seem confused, take remedial action.

Drone Remedial Action Guide (examples only - not limited to):
    1. Check fleet status (are you still in mothership?) and order them to mine again.
    2. Give them a different order (move, recall, etc). If they start to obey, immediately order them to mine.
    3. Exit to desktop, log back in and order them to mine again.
    4. Actually carrier recall them, leave the sector so it unloads, return, re-deploy, order them to mine.
    5. Leave the sector so it unloads, delete the fleet, reform the fleet, then enter the sector and order them to mine.

Further Drone Mining Tips:
    • Drone mine using a carrier ship rigged to auto-pull the haul from the drones cargo when they dock
    • Set drone docking points so they can execute a carrier recall.
    • Make sure you have pickup points and easily accessible rails for recalls - your mothership may LOOK cool, but you will give up quickly if the style is interfering with carrier recall orders. Make sure recalls are clean and easy.
    • Recall your drones every few clusters so that if someone shows up and you have to jump away without them, you don't lose your whole haul.
    • Ensure your mothership has a lot of cargo space to accommodate both active and passive (drone) mining in a single session.
    • Ensure that the drones themselves have large cargo holds in case you end up AFK a while and they go nuts.
    • Either parallel a fighter wing as you mine or ensure that your mothership has enough firepower to protect the helpless little drones from standard pirates (or both), because so many systems seem to break them they can't really defend themselves.

Have more useful tips for drone mining based on actual testing and experience? Please share and I'll attempt to update this post!

Please do not respond with information about how slow they mine or comparing them unfavorably to active mining - they do not compare and are not meant to. This is only about how they do work, not a statement of their relative value and arguments about whether they are worth making will not be productive here.

Last edited:

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    I may give this method a go (though as you know, I'm an active miner, so do not personally see the need for drones of my own).

However - I have a major issue with your post: the red hurts my eyes and I cannot read it properly! ;D

Edit: actually, may want to rethink the green too - seems red and green are the most common bane of the colourblind, so I'm not sure how useful the post will be to them.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I may give this method a go (though as you know, I'm an active miner, so do not personally see the need for drones of my own).

However - I have a major issue with your post: the red hurts my eyes and I cannot read it properly! ;D
    Sorry 'bout that! Blue better?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This goes a long way to helping figure out why some of my drones work some of the time and some don't. Thanks!

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I've been playing with drones (I've taken to calling them little bastards) lately and found one major thing: Drones won't work with more than one output for a Salvage Computer. They will work with multiple computers, but each must have a single output.

They also have terrible aim.

Reaction score
    i gave up when they refuse to mine anything past 1 astroid unless you restart client. was this still a issue with your testing. will be happy to use my drone carrier bp after the fleet update

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I've been playing with drones (I've taken to calling them little bastards) lately and found one major thing: Drones won't work with more than one output for a Salvage Computer. They will work with multiple computers, but each must have a single output.

They also have terrible aim.
    Not to argue, but... this is not universal. In my repeated experiences over a period of months they DO work with multiple outputs. I use drones with about 700 salvage units and one salvage comp. That's a few dozen groups firing separately. Have been for a few weeks now. Almost daily.

Of course... I have broken them... strangely. Many times and in many ways. Sometimes for days at a time. If I take a working drone and attempt to slave a cannon to the salvage, it breaks ALL of my drones... which is infuriating. I then need to fix my whole installation of the game. You can never even attempt to slave anything to their salvage - you will never be able to drone mine at all without serious remediation.

700 modules is the best I've gotten to be reliable so far. Every time (so far - not given up) I try to expand them more I end up with those horrible cat-drones.

In partial agreement, they do attempt to mine as if they have a single beam, hence the aim. They aim with their central beam, and the surrounding array hits by chance, but does suck up blocks and they do not focus the beams.
    [doublepost=1481958524,1481958468][/doublepost]
    i gave up when they refuse to mine anything past 1 astroid unless you restart client. was this still a issue with your testing. will be happy to use my drone carrier bp after the fleet update
    No, I have been using, not testing, and they consistently move past the first roid now and continue mining until the whole cluster is clear. That is recent though. Previously I could not get them to consistently work.

Honestly, I think the problem is that we Starmade players constantly fiddle with our things, and certain changes to even a single drone iteration break ALL drone mining operation across servers for a client build. The key seems to be carefully getting a working drone template, then leaving completely the F alone - a hard thing for SM players, myself included.

Reactions: Calhoun
    Reaction score
    . yah i fiddled with it but it was always after the drones mined 1 astroid completely. i could reorder, change sectors etc. and they then would refuse. unless i relogged. makes seeing if things work annoying if i have to test past 1 astroid on each iteration. made me believe it was nothing to do with the blueprint itself( it mines the entire 1 astroid fine)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    As someone who has always championed drone mining I fully support this positive and progressive attitude to the art.

I concur that sometimes drones can be fussy and sometimes a single drone (whether built from scratch, the same blueprint as its' fellows or in a shipyard) will just simply refuse to work properly and must be destroyed.

I have found in extensive testing and use that prior to the "asteroids update" an unsupported single beam drone was more efficient but I have slowly converted my drone fleet to larger, multiple beam arrays with either no support or supported 100% with either cannon or pulse. Having said that, I still carry one or two of my older drones as they come into their own when an asteroid has been reduced to the last few blocks and they are able to pick individual blocks off easier that their larger, more advanced fleetmates.

They are useful for those like the OP and I who due to family commitments can sometimes be called AFK at short notice.

I will also like to add comment on drone loading and unloading. I discovered by accident at an old station that drones loaded either manually or in a complicated, logic driven fashion as I did into a carrier that was aligned to galactic north (docked or not), launched ready for work with the carrier at the same alignment and then recalled, again with the carrier pointing in that direction worked better than those loaded, launched and recalled at any other angle. Obviously, the old fleet recall trick of holding down shift and C until all drones have returned makes this convenient.

On a final note, for all those who struggle with fleet mining operations, I have gathered abandoned ships that have a salvage array from around a spawn station, added some storage and turned them into a rough and ready fleet that follows my day one salvager around for a few days until I am ready to build my first larger salvage ship or fleet mining system (of which I have several).

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I've had the same problem multiple times before. Resolved it sometimes just through time, and had it happen again. Sometimes just seems to resolve itself as new builds update. Not very reliable, but currently am having good results repeatedly. Plenty of breakages though - the system needs help, badly!! I feel like putting more time and communication into understanding the issue will improve the developers' ability to improve its performance. I recommend that if you would like to see fleet miners develop into something even more helpful, and you have the time, you aggressively explore the dynamic so that maybe during the bugfix round coming after the main NPC update, they can fix some of this... if we've laid it out in clear terms that show repeatable abilities and problems.

I had given up, but now with extreme care I've gotten them to work.

They aren't random, they are governed by rules.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    I think I might put some of my fleet mining systems up in Community Content. I have several that people might like to experiment with.

Reaction score
    @MacThule
    I like that in your opening post you bold the text stating that DRONE DO WORK, and then continue to list multiple way to can an will fail, it seem to be a trend through the thread :)

From your own OP, it's is clear that it can work, but the amount of errors in the system makes it severely broken.
    [doublepost=1481968538,1481968301][/doublepost]It would be nice if people shared some of there larger drones, thanks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    It would be nice if people shared some of there larger drones, thanks
    What would you consider as being a large drone? I use several types but my main experience is with drones that operate from a carrier and not a fleet of ships that mine. I have converted my large salvager to be able to be used as a drone (I normally use logic driven mining) and then spawned in several to test ideas out but I tend to use 2, 3, 4 or 8 drones carried by a single ship. For example, I am preparing my Micro system now to put up later today, I have one based upon an Isanth VI and one based upon an Isanth Type Zero. All three should be available by the end of the weekend. I also have a few single drones that I will put up individually for people to try out and maybe use in their own builds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    something in the 50-100 meters range would be nice
    Personally I wouldn't consider that a drone but a fleet miner. I do have such a beast somewhere. If I strip out the Autominer circuit and allow it to mine normally it could be used. You would need a utility ship to act as a flagship. Instead of them docking with the flagship, they could either have sufficient capacity for a multi sector or even system wide mission and then return to base in order to unload or have a cargo pod system that could be employed to return items to base. If your faction has more than one member, one could operate the mining fleet while a second did cargo pod runs. Single player factions would mean the cargo ship being operated by the player and the mining fleet left to operate via AI.

My biggest drone is a mere 27m!

Reaction score
    That is very much the idea : ), my problem so far has been that drones of a certain size just do not function.

I think the problem is that the AI doesn't know the size of the ship and there for messes up it's approach and firing solutions, or just spins madly or just site there.

Actually maybe if you put the core and salvage computer in the very front it might work better, hmmm.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I haven't managed to get a single mining drone to work ever. I even tried the suggestion of just getting a basic mining core setups and never got a single one to work, repeatedly. Even tried downloading MacThule's mining ship and that failed. They all just derp for me.

Unless they work on fixing it a bit I can't be bothered wasting that much time for nothing....

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I think the problem is that the AI doesn't know the size of the ship and there for messes up it's approach and firing solutions, or just spins madly or just site there.
    Maybe. I don't think that's it though. I've taken a working miner out of an actively mining group, broken it while modding it, and watched ALL the other drones suddenly become idiot cat-drones ramming their target and each other and spinning about (and had to re-update my install version to make them work again...). So drone models that work perfectly well with no ramming or spazzing can break without ever being physically altered. This leads me to believe it's not about size.

I haven't managed to get a single mining drone to work ever. I even tried the suggestion of just getting a basic mining core setups and never got a single one to work, repeatedly. Even tried downloading MacThule's mining ship and that failed. They all just derp for me.
    When fleet mining first happened, I got it to work a bit, then it broke and I could never get them going again. That was on my old rig. Now they still break but so far I've always found a way to revive them. But I am on a different computer. It is entirely possible that certain systems are incapable of handling them. They really do need at least enough work done to make them work consistently; forget the bells-and-whistles wishlist, they just need to consistently do for everyone what a few of us are able to have them do currently. It would change the game.

Reaction score
    These 5 designs based on a hexagon shell all do works. But as they get larger the utter uselessness of the AI become more and more evident as it fails to hit the asteroids and controlling the ship.

Tracer beam failure

currently im testing them out to see who harvest the most.

Attachments