how do we promote, encourage, and increase more public faction.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What happened to the public faction thread. It use to be filled with new factions, conversations, and life. Now it is barren and with the few recruits that have joined and me and Blackhawk talking. It's been dead for a long while.

Anyone have any ideas to get more factions public and out there?

Also should the game focus on factions and faction development?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Maybe an ingame "faction registry"?
    (Similar to the current ingame serverlist)
    IDK, just dropping something.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Oh you mean on the launcher, dude that's a good idea. A server list, then to the right a faction list to the right, when clicked faction stats are displayed. Members count, type, style, structure and activity can be listed for each faction, as well as the main server to join. Clicking on the faction name and connecting would make you join that game. Each faction on the list would be required to have a open faction, or a recruitment faction for members to freely join. If only the faction permission block was implemented properly we could have limits on ships, door access and stations buy faction rank. Great idea mega!

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I'd rather not see anything that actively encourages any particular gameplay style.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That's what you all get for wanting peace so badly (and getting it): a boring, dull, dead faction landscape. :P

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'd rather not see anything that actively encourages any particular gameplay style.
    Me to, the list and think should be listed just a to z. Since there isn't to many active public factions. It should not be alot lol. Then they will be able to sort through the list by what information they want like, member count and such. With no encouragement or favor to any style or gameplay.
    Still better than a land scorched by flamewars :p
    Flame wars are to much, but war and conflict is good when kept to a good level.

Reaction score
    Keep peace a fantasy. This is not minecraft. Resources are meant to be collected and used. Otherwise factions are pointless

As for my idea keep a record of wars won and lost based on the FP system/peace and war decs and have tags for each faction on that faction list like roleplay, military, industry, shipyard, or diplomatic. Different people different play styles. Appeal to the masses with choices.
    Maybe a website like the voting server website for factions.

Also lets quit holding hands realize that each faction has differences and start some excitement in the faction community. I want to see active debates, war sanctions, blockades, mining operations in full swing. None of this can be accomplished if all factions do is hoard resources and hide. The only way I can see this a viable option for a faction is a merchant or mining faction.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Keep peace a fantasy. This is not minecraft. Resources are meant to be collected and used. Otherwise factions are pointless
    Keep on point and focused black, we are not here to discuss war or peace. But to get more faction interaction and people talking. As well as factions growing.
    Most people are competitive, we need to spur some of it up. And no not just wars, I don't mind getting into some faction rp, if it proves fun and inviting.

Since there are no nations or civilization in the game, it is up to us to make it on the servers. Like any X, eve, or he'll any space game, war, diplomacy and trade plays a large part in the game and the immersion of the player. Faction missions, trade, and faction development help in making this game a bit more fun.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Starmade is a sandbox, not a scifi war simulator. Warfare is only one of the possible aspects of the game. Most people are okay with fighting sometimes, but prefer to do it when they feel like it.

Many, many people do not share your beliefs, Blackhawk.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Starmade is a sandbox, not a scifi war simulator. Warfare is only one of the possible aspects of the game. Most people are okay with fighting sometimes, but prefer to do it when they feel like it.

sadly...

Reaction score
    Then many, many people will become martyrs for the activity of the game. I'm staying on point in the fact that if this wasn't a space scifi war simulator.....WEAPONS WOULDN'T BE IN THE BLOODY GAME. That is all, use em or lose em folks! Let's get some build offs, trade, diplomatic Rp and war going! Enough sitting around holding hands.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    sounds quite ambitious, even though i do agree. Some activity would be welcome, though faction list is a bit too ambitious as then a faction on a server where there are only like 3 factions, will have 50 members while actual large factions involved in politics will sorta lag behind

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Then many, many people will become martyrs for the activity of the game. I'm staying on point in the fact that if this wasn't a space scifi war simulator.....WEAPONS WOULDN'T BE IN THE BLOODY GAME. That is all, use em or lose em folks! Let's get some build offs, trade, diplomatic Rp and war going! Enough sitting around holding hands.

Minecraft is a sandbox and a creative game with swords, bows, arrows, etc.

People spend more time building than killing in that. Should they remove the combat aspect there too?

The existence of weapons isn't to force people to use them, it's to make it possible to use them for those who like combat.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    sounds quite ambitious, even though i do agree. Some activity would be welcome, though faction list is a bit too ambitious as then a faction on a server where there are only like 3 factions, will have 50 members while actual large factions involved in politics will sorta lag behind
    Marko how long have you played this game. Some people when they first join most likely will join a big faction. When they want and learned what they need to, some join or start their own small faction. Not everyone will be in a large faction, their will still be many small ones. Plus I don't understand what you are saying. We need more large factions. To ambitious, is that a bad thing to want more factions to play with?

Let's focus on getting more faction to go public and expand every factions grow or spawn new factions. This is not a war and peace thread!

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Faction gameplay is also a sandbox aspect.
    I'll simply repeat that we shouldn't be trying to encourage any singular aspects of the game beyond doing whatever you feel like.

There should be no faction browser, but there should be some instructions on how to join a faction.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you don't like it then what ideas do you have?
    Faction gameplay is also a sandbox aspect.
    I'll simply repeat that we shouldn't be trying to encourage any singular aspects of the game beyond doing whatever you feel like.

There should be no faction browser, but there should be some instructions on how to join a faction.
    Then let's not encourage building ships or stations then wait they do Because it is a good aspect of the game. People are social, is sparked some social interaction, conflict, interest, and social interaction. It promotes the faction aspect of the game along with the many other aspects the game have. The server aspect which are private and public do so to encourage people to play with others. Single player and multi player are two features or aspects of the game that the game provides. Not promoting faction growth is not growing the community. I want this community to grow. Wouldn't you?

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Not promoting faction growth is not growing the community. I want this community to grow. Wouldn't you?
    Totally false.
    People will play the game regardless of whether a faction list is waved around in their face or not.

Are you trying to say that the community is only made up of faction soldiers and everyone else doesn't count for anything?

Reaction score
    So basically your suggestion is nothing Azeriah. Unless you have solutions don't comment. We're attempting to discuss how to stir the pot and bring other smaller factions to the surface. Any faction IS free to choose whatever singular aspect they like. All we are suggesting is make tags like the server list website as in informative manner. To inform new players of what aspects of the game a faction focuses on. The same is done with the serverlist website

Winterhome

Reaction score
    So basically your suggestion is nothing Azeriah. Unless you have solutions don't comment. We're attempting to discuss how to stir the pot and bring other smaller factions to the surface. Any faction IS free to choose whatever singular aspect they like. All we are suggesting is make tags like the server list website as in informative manner. To inform new players of what aspects of the game a faction focuses on. The same is done with the serverlist website
    "I don't like your comment so you shouldn't comment"
    hurr

You are not the community. You do not speak for the community. You are one person. You have one opinion and it is worth no more than the opinion of anybody else. You are not special.

I am stating that no aspect of the game should be promoted. Singleplayer and Multiplayer are both equally shown, because of the expectation that multiplayer be shown as in every other game in the last decade and a half. Anything beyond that is the job of the community at large - not of the developers, of the admins, of the moderators.

There is no problem with how things already are.

Reactions: Chevalleis