How do I properly tweak memory settings?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been trying to increase my game memory in the launcher options, but I keep running into problems. Right now they are set to:

Maximal Memory: 2048

Initial Memory: 1024

Early Generation Memory: 256

When I try to start the game nothing happens. It seems like any modification to the game breaks the system. How can I increase game memory?

Edit: Apparently the problem is caused by setting the Maximal Memory higher than 1024. I wish I could set it higher though. I would hate to run out of memory midgame.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Your Java settings are probably at default.

"The flag Xmx specifies the maximum memory allocation pool for a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), while Xms specifies the initial memory allocation pool.

This means that your JVM will be started with Xms amount of memory and will be able to use a maximum of Xmx amount of memory. For example, starting a JVM like below will start it with 256MB of memory, and will allow the process to use up to 2048MB of memory:

java -Xmx2048m-Xms256m

The memory flag can also be specified in multiple sizes, such as kilobytes, megabytes, and so on.

-Xmx1024k
    -Xmx512m
    -Xmx8g

The Xms flag has no default value, and Xmx typically has a default value of 256MB. A common use for these flags is when you encounter a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.
    "

so you need to set your java to a higher max state.

I'm assuming you're using windows:
    -> start
    -> little searchbar, type "java"
    ->
    click on "Configure Java"
    -> "Java" tab click the "View" button
    -> now in runtime environment settings
    ->
    locate "runtime parameters" box
    ->
    add appropriate -Xmx setting

***only 64 bit java can go above 2.8 gb of max memory!!! check if yours is 32 or 64, and unistall/reinstall as neccesary***

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Errors at memory settings above 1024 should be missing 64bit java, or 32bit os in general.

Open up a console (cmd in windows) and type:

java -d64 -version
    java -d32 -version

if they both reply a version tag, all is fine.
    If the -d64 tells something with 'not supported' or 'not installed' you need to add the 64 bit version manually.

Try this URL: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/download_options.xml

- Andy

Reaction score
    heyo everyone.. i tried to apply the Xmx modification succesfully (-Xmx2048M), but the game doesnt recognize it.. i mean, i tried to modify all the memory parameters but it starts only if the max memory is <=1024.. if higher, on clicking Ok, nothing happens like if the application was closed..

while playing at minimum settings (lowest textures, no shadows, 2000 segments max, low light, ...) the game is perfect since it use 200mb of memory in the space.. while approching a planet it raise to 500mb, all ok here too, but once left it the memory remain at 500k also if i travel far from that planet and it starts to lag, cause of fps going done slowly..

any other idea or solution? thanks

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    heyo everyone.. i tried to apply the Xmx modification succesfully (-Xmx2048M), but the game doesnt recognize it.. i mean, i tried to modify all the memory parameters but it starts only if the max memory is <=1024.. if higher, on clicking Ok, nothing happens like if the application was closed..

while playing at minimum settings (lowest textures, no shadows, 2000 segments max, low light, ...) the game is perfect since it use 200mb of memory in the space.. while approching a planet it raise to 500mb, all ok here too, but once left it the memory remain at 500k also if i travel far from that planet and it starts to lag, cause of fps going done slowly..

any other idea or solution? thanks
    Now your post is walled in with the correct solution. (Above and below)
    Please read one of them. =)
    You are missing Java 64bit on your system.. =)

- Andy

Errors at memory settings above 1024 should be missing 64bit java, or 32bit os in general.

Open up a console (cmd in windows) and type:

java -d64 -version
    java -d32 -version

if they both reply a version tag, all is fine.
    If the -d64 tells something with 'not supported' or 'not installed' you need to add the 64 bit version manually.

Try this URL: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/download_options.xml

- Andy

Reactions: 0ldSkull
    Reaction score
    I tried typing the commands into the command prompt but all I got back was that it wasn't a command

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Are you sure you have installed any Java Version at all then ?
    The thing would look like this
    Screenshot_1.jpg

Reaction score
    Java Configure.PNG
    Are you sure you have installed any Java Version at all then ?
    The thing would look like this
    View attachment 10265
    I have windows 8, so I don't know if that makes a difference but yes, I do have it installed for certain.
    I just did it again and I don't have 64x, sorry. But when I open the Java Configure App and look at the runtime parameters, its just blank.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6

"The flag Xmx specifies the maximum memory allocation pool for a Java Virtual Machine (JVM), while Xms specifies the initial memory allocation pool.

This means that your JVM will be started with Xms amount of memory and will be able to use a maximum of Xmx amount of memory. For example, starting a JVM like below will start it with 256MB of memory, and will allow the process to use up to 2048MB of memory:

java -Xmx2048m-Xms256m

The memory flag can also be specified in multiple sizes, such as kilobytes, megabytes, and so on.

-Xmx1024k
    -Xmx512m
    -Xmx8g

The Xms flag has no default value, and Xmx typically has a default value of 256MB. A common use for these flags is when you encounter a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.
    "

-> start
    -> click on "Configure Java"
    -> locate "runtime parameters" box
    -> add appropriate -Xmx setting

***only 64 bit java can go above 2.8 gb of max memory!!! check if yours is 32 or 64, and unistall/reinstall as neccesary***
    Mine has a default of 16 gigs, I will make it 2 gigs like you said, right?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Something people may not always be aware of, is that when using your favorite browser to get and install Java the bit version of the browser will be chosen. Since most browsers used are 32bits still you'll just get the 32bits version of Java. Installing Java 64bit manual as by the provided link above is the most sure way to make certain you get the right version. ;)

Seasonal Greetings,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Tester
    i really doubt that java.com is delivering malware.
    if you did get it from somewhere else that might be possible.

Reaction score

java -Xmx2048m-Xms256m

-Xmx1024k
    -Xmx512m
    -Xmx8g

"

-> start
    -> click on "Configure Java"
    -> locate "runtime parameters" box
    -> add appropriate -Xmx setting

Yeah. Cool. how about you give me a example of what i should type to set Java to a higher setting . Am i suppose to type "-Xmx204m-Xms256m" in the add parameters box. ? Cause you dont really have any clear directions and what we are to do once we get to that point. And most people like me know almost nothing about java nor do most us really care to learn. So terms like "Flag" only confuse the shit out of me and mean almost nothing to me. Please get back to me.

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Yeah. Cool. how about you give me a example of what i should type to set Java to a higher setting . Am i suppose to type "-Xmx204m-Xms256m" in the add parameters box. ? Cause you dont really have any clear directions and what we are to do once we get to that point. And most people like me know almost nothing about java nor do most us really care to learn. So terms like "Flag" only confuse the shit out of me and mean almost nothing to me. Please get back to me.
    The old and new launcher both have settings to change this:
    - New launcher:
    upload_2017-6-6_15-44-9.png

- Old launcher:
    upload_2017-6-6_15-45-31.png