How do i connect to somone in the same house as me?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tryna connect to somone in the same house as me it doesnt let us do local play or be on the same server please help me.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Computer 1 = Local Play
    Computer 2 = Online Play, use ip address of Computer 1

I've never tried this. Let me know if it works

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You need to know the IP address of the computer running the starmade world. You will also need the port number which is a setting you can locate in when your in the launcher.

Once you startup the game. Go to the online play page and right down the bottom is the manual server entry area. Put in the IP address and or maybe the IP address : port then hit connect.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Make sure your hosting port is forwarded in your router and through windows (I assume you're using) firewall.

Connect through your IP address whatismyip.com

Reaction score
    • Tester
    You are on a local network with 2 PCs using the same IP adress to connect to it ?
    (if i did understood that correctly ... that isnt going to work at all !)

depending on your network setup ...
    your PCs get assigned (manually or by a router) different IP adresses
    one PC then starts a Starmade Local game (or a dedicated server)
    the other PC stars starmade and uses onlineplay to connect Screenshot_4.jpg
    x.y.z.a to be replaced by the actual IP of the first PC running the Local game ... 4242 is the default port if not chnged manually in the settings

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You need your local IP, you get that in the router(should be a devices list) or by opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig (local ip listed under ipv4 address in list). The whatsmyip site will give you your external IP which identifies your modem externally(will be the same from any PC on your network). Your local IP is what the modem/router uses to determin what goes where inside your local network. Example: my internal IPs are 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3, ect, while my external is 98.214.165.**.

Use the local ip(from ipconfig) that you get from the pc you're trying to connect to, in the starmade game on the pc you're trying to connect with.

You might even be able to get away with using localhost: (port number), but idk if starmade will work with that, some programs/games do.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    How to find your IP on the computer that will host the game (assuming your on windows)

1. Go to the start button and in search type "CMD". Press "Enter" on the keyboard and you will open up the command prompt.

2. Once the prompt opens, type "ipconfig" and press enter.

3. Where it says "IPv4" is that computers IP address.

4. Where it says "Default Gateway" is the routers IP address.

If you need to port forward the port for starmade on your router, you will use your internet browser and type the IP address under "Default Gateway" and press enter. That should allow you to log into your router and change settings. If you got your router from your Internet Company then odds are the username and password (if they are set at all) is admin and admin. But the pass can also be "default". Those are the most common anyway.

Hope that helps you get the info you need in order to connect.

Reaction score
    What he said.
    But remember to start a server on the host computer then join on the host as a client too.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    This or just have the host start single player and make the other computer join.

This saves a bit ram and CPU load.