How can I play on the dev server but retain my old stuff?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I want to check out the space stations in the contest on the dev build server, but I need to update my game in order to join. I was wondering if there was a way for me to keep the current public build I am already playing on, while also be able to instantly switch over to playing on the dev build version?

Reaction score
    • Tester
    In the Game Launcher under Options - Installation Settings
    Choose a new Install folder (create one and name it Dev for example)
    then change Build branch to Dev!

If you want to get back to your release game settings revert that back

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Or you just save all your game files from the official release somewhere else.

Edit: Or you can just use the 'backup all' function of the launcher. Just update to the dev version and you'll get a message asking whether or not you want to create a backup, and what you then want to back up.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Yelby did this tutorial as mine take ages to make :D enjoy

simply change your path to the desired folder and enjoy infinite installations

Reaction score
    I want to check out the space stations in the contest on the dev build server, but I need to update my game in order to join. I was wondering if there was a way for me to keep the current public build I am already playing on, while also be able to instantly switch over to playing on the dev build version?
    Be aware that you won't be able to explore the inside of stations on the dev server. They are all faction locked. Probably to prevent grieffing of them. I'd sugest you download the import pack found here.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Do some of the video reviews of the stations include internal exploration, so we have some idea of what's inside without using the import pack?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You so realise you could also just use build mode to see the inside of the stations, right?

Reaction score
    You so realise you could also just use build mode to see the inside of the stations, right?
    Yes you could resort to that exploit. However, many of the interiors rely on switches, area detection, and directional gravity. None of witch you can experience from build mode.