Status
    Not open for further replies.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    In a short amount of time this thread got lots of responses. Also I read something about old flame wars something something asshats. I saw a colbert eating popcorn gif a little later and also something about being offended so I'm sure this is really just a great thread all around.
    There's no denying free entertainment :p

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    is this a joke? is this sarcasm? i mean it was literally an empire....
    I'd say the British were worse. At least the Turks had the same religion and culture as the Arabs. Within several years of their collapse and the invasion of imperial powers there were several bloody rebellions, and within a century you have what we have now. None of that happened with the Ottomans.

Reaction score
    I'd say the British were worse. At least the Turks had the same religion and culture as the Arabs. Within several years of their collapse and the invasion of imperial powers there were several bloody rebellions, and within a century you have what we have now. None of that happened with the Ottomans.
    Wow...
    As your dislike of the confederacy started all this i will just leave this link here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_Ottoman_Empire

Reactions: Keptick

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Wow...
    As your dislike of the confederacy started all this i will just leave this link here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_Ottoman_Empire
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source. I'm saying that the Ottomans were a better choice for the Arabs than the British or other European powers. Slavery did exist in the ottoman empire, but it was not an integral part of the society or economy. The Janissaries were made up of children taken from their homelands, yes, but it was often the only way for people to move up in a rigid society. The son of a peasant farmer could become a military commander.

At least the Ottoman empire remained stable for hundreds of years. The British and French were thrown out in half a century, and the results of their occupation resonates today.

Reaction score
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source. I'm saying that the Ottomans were a better choice for the Arabs than the British or other European powers. Slavery did exist in the ottoman empire, but it was not an integral part of the society or economy. The Janissaries were made up of children taken from their homelands, yes, but it was often the only way for people to move up in a rigid society. The son of a peasant farmer could become a military commander.

At least the Ottoman empire remained stable for hundreds of years. The British and French were thrown out in half a century, and the results of their occupation resonates today.
    Well, i am not going to argue with you about who should rule "the Arabs"... i honestly think the stuff you are posting here is incredible hypocritical, stupid and racist.

Reactions: Keptick

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well, i am not going to argue with you about who should rule "the Arabs"... i honestly think the stuff you are posting here is incredible hypocritical, stupid and racist.
    I don't understand why you put "Arabs" in quotation marks.

You are free to your opinion.

Reaction score
    Well, now that we have proven you to support a country that was just as bad if not worse. I think we can end this pointless agreement and call a truce.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well, now that we have proven you to support a country that was just as bad if not worse. I think we can end this pointless agreement and call a truce.
    I don't how supporting a country that was just as bad as the one I supported makes you morally superior. It just means we are equally bad.

Assuming, of course, that the Ottoman empire was as bad as the CSA.

Reaction score
    I have never said that I was morally superior. I simply said that neither of us is better than the other.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I just love it when people pull out the "Wikipedia is an unreliable source" card when it proves them wrong.

Snk I believe that you have taken trail derailing to the next level.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!

Since you have such a hardon over slavery, you should be able to understand that Arab culture continues to be the largest practitioner of slavery on the planet.

Your feigned offense at the word "Confederacy," as well as your fawning admiration of a thuggish and expansionist power that practiced institutional discrimination, demonstrate a lack of understanding the real world, as well as a poor education.

As for Wikipedia not being a reliable source, the references are all included as per standard citation rules - MLA, APA, etc. You could stop parroting what you have heard others say, and try thinking for yourself. But of course, that large chip on your shoulder would get int the way.....

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There are more slaves in the world now than there were when African trans-shipment was at its height. The developed countries (me) cannot be complacent as our prosperity is forged on the backs of transient child labour, low wages and indentured servitude (debt slavery). The struggle continues.

Everyone and their cousin comes out identifying with some historical institution/nation-state/rebel group/mercantile army/zealot horde. This is the internet after all. Mostly they are just identifying with whom they feel is the protagonist in any given conflict and that most agrees with their current world view. If I had a dime for every tom/dick/harry that was waving a confederate flag in my face while assuring me that: they're not racist, they don't agree with slavery and they're just trying to get a "reaction" out of people, I would be a rich man.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Since you have such a hardon over slavery, you should be able to understand that Arab culture continues to be the largest practitioner of slavery on the planet.
    That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Too much Fox news?

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I would recommend keeping careful thought over what replies you post in this thread. Just a friendly reminder.

Status
    Not open for further replies.