Heat Mechanic

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A new mechanic: Heat. Heat is intended to replace/introduce a new way to handle efficiency loss of
    large and multiple systems.

Heat Generation:
    Like Reactors, Systems and Weapons generate Heat.
    Rapid Fire weapons produce large amounts of heat, while alpha weapons are much more heat efficient.

While in/near star sectors, instead of taking damage, your ship will now rapidly heat up to the point of melting. Heat Shielding will reduce the heat you get from being near stars, of course.

Heat Threshold:
    When a ship reaches critical heat levels, it will shutdown to prevent damage to systems, this shut-down may be overridden at the risk of damage to systems.

Overheating:
    When a ship's heat level goes above the threshold (100%+ heat) it will be labeled overheating, and take damage to systemHP and/or StructureHP, with a critical chance to destroy a system group (power systems, shield systems, or weapons system)

The higher above the heat threshold you are, the more SystemHP & StructureHP damage you will take, and chance of critical damage to a system group increases.
    (101% Heat Threshold = 1% chance of Critical Damage; 200% Heat Threshold = 100% chance of Critical Damage).

Slagged: A when a ship has been critically damaged and overheating for more than 30(?) seconds it becomes Slagged. This starts transforming armor blocks into slagged armor, glowing, molten hull, similar to the old damage textures.

Heat Sinks
    A new system block that increase the Heat Threshold of a ship (the amount of heat a ship can hold before overheating) and dissipates it.

Heat Sinks should either: hold heat linearly and dissipate diminishing, or hold heat diminishing and dissipate heat linearly. but NOT hold and dissipate both diminishing or linearly.

p.s.
    sorry I had most of this on a text document from like 6 months ago and I forgot to make the suggestion before the new reactor discussion came up.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Heat transfer is not as instant as Electricity transfer, thus replacing power with heat alone gives a new balance factor which is also realistic.

But why did you open a new thread for it?

Reaction score
    What a day. Just now finished writing my thoughts about heat\cooling system in my overhaul thread.
    And five seconds later I see a thread with such similar ideas.