Gravity well generator (from Star Wars)

[Random] Do you use Interdictor destroyers and/or base GWG generators in Empire at War?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    After playing Star Wars: Empire at War, I learned of Star Wars technology created to prevent enemy ships from entering hyperspace (which as I will refer to sector jumping as).
    Considering how PvP wars could unfold in this game, I believe such technology could become very useful for eliminating important enemies.

Idea 1: Activating the generator could simply create a large area of effect, in which any jumping ships would be taken out of hyperspace automatically. Fast ships could easily escape the generator and make the jump. More generator blocks: larger area.

Idea 2: The generator could be used to manually "toggle" the blocking of specific ships. Power would then be drained based on distance, movement and ship size. More generator blocks: Higher max range.

Additional idea: A waypoint could be used to reveal the location of the generator.

Pros:
    >Can prevent hit-and-run attacks
    >Can stop important targets from fleeing
    >Can be used to set up a blockade

Cons:
    >Large power usage
    >Faster ships can outrun generating ships, and should have no trouble escaping generating stations.
    >The user may be painting a target on their head.

Random scenarios where this could be used:
    Pirates/pirate factions could ambush enemies with (initially) cloaked ships.
    Enemies could be fooled to attack, only to be trapped and be overwhelmed by the target's true firepower.
    Convoys (if added) could trap attackers until reinforcements arrive.

Star Wars GWG information: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gravity_well_projector

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'd give this generator a high power to consume for the bigger the area (quantity of generator blocks) is, for balancing reasons.

Reaction score
    I'd give this generator a high power to consume for the bigger the area (quantity of generator blocks) is, for balancing reasons.
    I would do the same. It seems fairly balanced even in Empire at War. If the Interdictor uses the GWG in EaW, it will be unable to move.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Idea 1: Activating the generator could simply create a large area of effect, in which any jumping ships would be taken out of hyperspace automatically. Fast ships could easily escape the generator and make the jump. More generator blocks: larger area.
    Problem with this part: you cannot catch a ship while jumping due to how jumping works[/change_sector + neat_animation]{trying to "catch" a jumping ship would require a raycast[line from ship location to destination location, does it ever enter a generator's field?], which at that size may be very >expensive<, unless each generator simply affects one sector}.
    You could only prevent them from starting to jump while within that area and not influence performance greatly.

Reaction score
    Problem with this part: you cannot catch a ship while jumping due to how jumping works[/change_sector + neat_animation]{trying to "catch" a jumping ship would require a raycast[line from ship location to destination location, does it ever enter a generator's field?], which at that size may be very >expensive<, unless each generator simply affects one sector}.
    You could only prevent them from starting to jump while within that area and not influence performance greatly.
    To be honest, I didn't expect that to be possible either. The main use of it would be to stop attempted jumps from current ships in the current area. It wouldn't be easy to use to stop jumpers mid-jump either.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    perhaps instead of intercepting ships that are "jumping" through your sector, a GWG could instead "suck in" people jumping to nearby sectors.
    An example to clarify:
    You are in sector 0,0,0 and turn on a GWG.
    Another player tries to jump to a nearby sector: 5,5,5.
    His ship is caught by your GWG, and instead of landing in 5,5,5 he ends up in 0,0,0.

If it does end up working this way, they will need to be unable to function in the same sector as a home base, to prevent people from creating invulnerable victim funnels.

Reaction score
    perhaps instead of intercepting ships that are "jumping" through your sector, a GWG could instead "suck in" people jumping to nearby sectors.
    An example to clarify:
    You are in sector 0,0,0 and turn on a GWG.
    Another player tries to jump to a nearby sector: 5,5,5.
    His ship is caught by your GWG, and instead of landing in 5,5,5 he ends up in 0,0,0.

If it does end up working this way, they will need to be unable to function in the same sector as a home base, to prevent people from creating invulnerable victim funnels.
    *Troll planning intensifies*

But I still think it would be a tad too difficult to know where to intercept the target and all that.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Something along these lines has been suggested before quite a few times and I believe is also planned to happen, but I do agree that this would be one of the more viable options for preventing jumping. My thread here discusses the different options for what such a system could be.

But wow, you only joined yesterday and are already making well-thought suggestions (even if it has been sugested before)
    This idea actually forms the basis of mine xD
    But it does raise the questions of whether one, players would willingly sit still like the Interdictors in EaW, and two, how would the field radius be handled without significant performance issues.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Interdiction is something that is planned I believe. If it's not then hopefully it will be soon xD.

I'd encourage team play too, as one couldn't have an interdictor ship also play the role of destroyer (due to the very high power consumption). No omni-ships.

All in all, +1

Reaction score
    Interdiction is something that is planned I believe. If it's not then hopefully it will be soon xD.

I'd encourage team play too, as one couldn't have an interdictor ship also play the role of destroyer (due to the very high power consumption). No omni-ships.

All in all, +1
    I think a cool thing to start building would be a jammer ship. Large ships with a radar/hyperspace jamming role while other ships deal with the combat (and hopefully draw fire from the jammer).

That would actually be the same role as the EaW interdictor. :P