Implemented A way to prevent jump drives?

Which method would fit the game best?

• Ship-based inhibitor (M1)

• Station-based inhibitor (M2)

• Both

• None, we needz this escape plan xD

• Weapon effect (M3)

• EVE Weapon(M4)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I propose a new system that will be used to block jump drives from activating. I know this has probably been suggested a few times but I feel it needs to be addressed, as all too often I see opponents managing to escape fights too easily.
    There could be several methods to achieve this:
    (warning - possible wall of text :p)

Method M1: A ship-based jump inhibitor module. It would work like a jump drive in itself, requiring charge time, exponential power usage and multiple modules, but when activated it stops the use of jump drives in the ship's sector for about 30 seconds. Would probably have to be balanced a bit though. This could give rise to interdiction ships that have the sole purpose of stopping jumping in a sector so other ships can enliminate the threat. When the affected enemy ships leave the sector they can use the drives again.
    Method M2: A station-based inhibitor module. Same actions as the aforemented M1, but is static and is always active as long as the computer is intact. There should probably be a rule in that these cannot be placed on a home base to prevent abuse though..
    Method M3: An effect for a weapon that converts damage into damage to jump drive charge depending on the ratio, similar to how EMP and Ion effects work. (Idea by hzzzln)
    Method M4: An EVE-style weapon.
    1: Interdiction sphere. This can either be an actual sphere taking up a percentage of a sector or a full sector. I think a sphere would be nice. This is an AOE multi-target weapon. Anyone caught in the sphere cannot jump, even when fully charged. In order to activate it, a pilot should charge up the system on their ship and release it. The sphere is dropped where the pilot activate the module. The amount of time it lasts can be based on how many modules comprise the structure of the ship. The number of modules also can determine recharge rates / efficiency just as jump drives currently do. I'm thinking a good number needed is 10% of a ships mass.
    Idea by Vanhelzing .

There is a poll if anyone would like to share their views on which one/s is/are needed.

Tl;dr: There needs to be a way to prevent opposing jump drives to stop the quick getaways I keep seeing happening all the time.

Please no hate or flame, this is my first suggestion and one I feel this game needs.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lecic

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I don't think it is necessary an external method of jump prevention, but rather finding a way to not allow people to pre-charge the jump drive. (example : you can simply keep your jump drive charged and go away once your shields are about to get down)

Like, if you charge the drive, you have to perform the jump on ... say... 20 secounds, otherwise, it will reset the cooldown.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I don't think it is necessary an external method of jump prevention, but rather finding a way to not allow people to pre-charge the jump drive. (example : you can simply keep your jump drive charged and go away once your shields are about to get down)

Like, if you charge the drive, you have to perform the jump on ... say... 20 secounds, otherwise, it will reset the cooldown.
    I suppose that would work too, but we need a way of simply preventing the drives from being used anyway, because some people will still charge the drives during the fight and warp away that way, enliminating any fair fight. My suggestion would stop this from happening.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Changing the number of jump modules on a ship will reset the countdown, so shooting blocks from the jump systems will reset them

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Changing the number of jump modules on a ship will reset the countdown, so shooting blocks from the jump systems will reset them
    But you still need to get the shields down to do so. These people would have warped away before that. Also I don't think it works anyway; I lost half my jump blocks on a ship once and still kept the full charge.

LOL I just noticed that sig xD

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I'll propose my two ideas. Also it should be noted that Interdiction was supposed to happen. Not sure if the devs had it figured out when they said it was going to be a thing.

1: Interdiction sphere. This can either be an actual sphere taking up a percentage of a sector or a full sector. I think a sphere would be nice. This is an AOE multi-target weapon. Anyone caught in the sphere cannot jump, even when fully charged. In order to activate it, a pilot should charge up the system on their ship and release it. The sphere is dropped where the pilot activate the module. The amount of time it lasts can be based on how many modules comprise the structure of the ship. The number of modules also can determine recharge rates / efficiency just as jump drives currently do. I'm thinking a good number needed is 10% of a ships mass. This module should at least delay hyperspace jumps on capital ships if not stop them as well.

2: Jump scramblers. This module is for 1 on 1 direct attacks. This is a weapon that would be fired at an enemy ship and it could do a number of things based on SM mechanics. Landing a direct hit could decrease the charge accumulated on the target's jump drive, but it shouldn't deplete it. Another option is to base it off the two ships system count. If there are more jump drives on the target than jump scramblers, the target will not be affected by the jump scrambler. The reload rate on this weapon should also be pretty high. As for interaction with hyperspace modules, there are a few things I would like to see happen here.

A jump scrambler should not be able to affect a hyperspace jump unless:
    1 - 10% of the ship is comprised of jump scramblers.
    2 - A 100% Overdrive effect bonus is applied to the jump scrambler.
    This results in a ship that needs 20% of it's mass dedicated to interdiction against capital ships.

Just some personal ideas. Of course you probably all know where I got the inspiration from. Let me know what you think :D

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I was once visited by a guy at my homebase, he wanted to show me his titan. After that i thought, well annyone can just jump with his titan and start troll and destroy and the message "neutral/enemy ship enterd your sec"is usless if he jumps directly on top of your head.
    What i want to say is, maybe make a homebase only module thats prevents ships from jumping in the sec your base is, what do you think?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like this idea and think that it should not be too easy to get away. But in my opinion I think that it should be possible to intercept someone who has warped away. Currently the way warp works, I think you should be able to travel further distances but take a lot longer, i.e. you stay in the warp bubble for longer. So when you engage warp you leave behind a small trail. When you use a "warp interdictor module" whilest selecting the trail you intercept their bubble and can shoot them inside the tunnel before the warp bubble pops and the two ships arrive at the destination. Much like this except the ship pushed the other right out of the bubble xD

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    1: Interdiction sphere. This can either be an actual sphere taking up a percentage of a sector or a full sector. I think a sphere would be nice. This is an AOE multi-target weapon. Anyone caught in the sphere cannot jump, even when fully charged. In order to activate it, a pilot should charge up the system on their ship and release it. The sphere is dropped where the pilot activate the module. The amount of time it lasts can be based on how many modules comprise the structure of the ship. The number of modules also can determine recharge rates / efficiency just as jump drives currently do. I'm thinking a good number needed is 10% of a ships mass. This module should at least delay hyperspace jumps on capital ships if not stop them as well.
    Ooh I like this one, giant pulse-style sphere stopping jumps definitely appeals to me :)
    Permission to add this idea to the OP and the poll?

I was once visited by a guy at my homebase, he wanted to show me his titan. After that i thought, well annyone can just jump with his titan and start troll and destroy and the message "neutral/enemy ship enterd your sec"is usless if he jumps directly on top of your head.
    What i want to say is, maybe make a homebase only module thats prevents ships from jumping in the sec your base is, what do you think?
    I'm gonna say that's probably too abusable, so no-one can get away from your heavily-turreted homebase capable of shredding everything xD

I like this idea and think that it should not be too easy to get away. But in my opinion I think that it should be possible to intercept someone who has warped away. Currently the way warp works, I think you should be able to travel further distances but take a lot longer, i.e. you stay in the warp bubble for longer. So when you engage warp you leave behind a small trail. When you use a "warp interdictor module" whilest selecting the trail you intercept their bubble and can shoot them inside the tunnel before the warp bubble pops and the two ships arrive at the destination.
    If it ever becomes possible to have a longer period in the warp effect, then this would be an interesting way to take revenge on them or follow the aggressor.

Reaction score
    My suggestion would be a new effect computer + module, the "Disruptor Effect Module": slaving this module to a weapon will make the weapon only do like 5% regular damage, but the other 95% will be converted to "warp-drive damage" which is then weighed against your ships mass. Something like shipmass/warp-drive damage = percent of warp-drive charge depleted. Like the Ion or EMP effects, only for the warp-drive.

Oh, and the warp-drive damage should be capable of piercing shields, but only at a reduced rate, so if shields are still up, the warp-drive damage is halved, or something like that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I guess its abuseable but i think there should still be a way to prevent an entire fleet of ships to just jump your base, and its not like you cant jump in but not out annymore, you just jump to the edge of the homebase sector, like a barrier. So no suprise turret carnage xD

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    2: Jump scramblers. This module is for 1 on 1 direct attacks. This is a weapon that would be fired at an enemy ship and it could do a number of things based on SM mechanics. Landing a direct hit could decrease the charge accumulated on the target's jump drive, but it shouldn't deplete it. Another option is to base it off the two ships system count. If there are more jump drives on the target than jump scramblers, the target will not be affected by the jump scrambler. The reload rate on this weapon should also be pretty high.
    My suggestion would be a new effect computer + module, the "Disruptor Effect Module": slaving this module to a weapon will make the weapon only do like 5% regular damage, but the other 95% will be converted to "warp-drive damage" which is then weighed against your ships mass. Something like shipmass/warp-drive damage = percent of warp-drive charge depleted. Like the Ion or EMP effects, only for the warp-drive.

Oh, and the warp-drive damage should be capable of piercing shields, but only at a reduced rate, so if shields are still up, the warp-drive damage is halved, or something like that.
    Two very similar ideas for direct weapon damage to the jump charge. The only thing I would be worried about here would be trolls firing at everyone with these, but... Permission to add these ideas to the OP and poll? I quite like these ideas actually.

Reaction score
    Two very similar ideas for direct weapon damage to the jump charge. The only thing I would be worried about here would be trolls firing at everyone with these, but... Permission to add these ideas to the OP and poll? I quite like these ideas actually.
    Sure.

As for the trolling aspect: Many MP servers enforce non-hostility rules in the spawn system. Since you still do normal damage with this method, it's easily defined as a hostile action and thus punishable in the protected areas, preventing trolling here. Outside of the spawnzone, you have to be aware that an enemy can strike at any time, but that you can also defend yourself. So if someone "trolls" my warp-drive charge away, he might find himself "trolled" with.

Reactions: Jake_Lancia

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Sure.

As for the trolling aspect: Many MP servers enforce non-hostility rules in the spawn system. Since you still do normal damage with this method, it's easily defined as a hostile action and thus punishable in the protected areas, preventing trolling here. Outside of the spawnzone, you have to be aware that an enemy can strike at any time, but that you can also defend yourself. So if someone "trolls" my warp-drive charge away, he might find himself "trolled" with.
    I'll add it to the OP now.

As for the trolling: I've realized the risk is rather minimal actually.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It used to be that getting shot would reset your drive charge. I think that still happens when you're hit with shields down.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I know I suggested station based jump inhibitors back before FTL was even in the game.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    OP and poll updated to include the weapon-effect idea by hzzzln .
    I know I suggested station based jump inhibitors back before FTL was even in the game.
    I remember being in a similar thread discussing something like that by the one-and-only aceface if I remember correctly. Got derailed though...
    Wow I found it! Here's the original thread xD
    no just if the warp drive blocks take damage
    Is that true? I can swear that when my ship (with full charge) was heavily damaged at the section with the jump mods on not long ago, it did not reset the charge.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I think it is fine the way it is.. although i do like the ftl trail that fades away quickly. I might also agree to a 5-10 sec jump activation. but having the jump reset when shot at is not at all realistic (in a sci-fi realism). although hit any jump module would be able to reset or perhaps slow the charge down, since is would disturb the electric flow of the systems. I do think we should have the option of lowering the shield or raising them.