Graphics bug with penta + tetra blocks - v0.14

Reaction score
    There is a graphics glitch wwith tetra and penta blocks in a certain orientation.

In the picture, forward/positive Z axis is to the lefft, as indicated by the arrow. The camera is pointed slightly up in the direction of the positive x and y axis (as indicated by the block preview). The system's sun is low and to the right, to the right and behind the ship. "4 o'clock low".

To the left is a bevelled corner section where pentas and tetra are combined to produce a very nice and smooth surface, On the right side, is the exact same bevelled surface, with properly rotated blocks (even in symmetry mode) and you can see that graphicaly the penta and tetras don't produce the same kind of surface as the one on the left. The penta blocks have some kind of graphics glitch in this orientation so it looks like the penta block isn't even there and you can look up at the bottom of the tetra piece. Every place on the ship where the tetra and penta blocks are oriented like this, you get the same graphics glitch.

So, facing to the rear (negative z), whenever the penta/tetra block combination produces a bevelled surface that runs from the top left to bottom right in a diagonal direction, and the bevel faces forward, this graphics glitch is produced.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    http://star-made.org/content/penta-bug

Please look in that thread for my screenshots to compare them.
    The right side is just missing 3 tetra, and the left is only the light intensity bug.
    Cant see any other bug there.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Actually, that\'s the bug. Both sides have tetras AND pentas. There are no missing blocks. I know there are lighting issues that are changing the colours of the blocks, but that\'s not what the issue is here. The other thread seems to be displaying a similar problem, but in a different penta orientation. After looking at my build, I remembered that the same problem exists on my ship too. It\'s as if the penta block has a deep valley running up the diagonal face when it\'s viewed from low angles, and the angled face is invisible and only shows the trough/valley running up the middle. Just like this block: http://i.imgur.com/Jl2lIkJ.png

In the first picture, the main \"axis arrow\" can be seen pointing to the positive z axis, and is circled with red. The area with the blue circle and arrow is the area in the screenshot of the original post. The two areas with the green arrows are areas that I forgot about, and have the penta blocks oriented exactly the same as in the other thread. The penta AND tetra blocks are oriented on the diagonal, running from +z on the low end to -z on the high end of the bevel. The bevelled face of the penta is invisible and you can see the bottom face/side (the -y face) of the tetra.

There\'s a third axis that shows an even bigger glitch. In this screenshot below, the main building z axis is circled with red at the top. The area circled in blue has both penta AND tetra blocks in it, but the huge trough in the penta face is easily seen and the tetra blocks are light grey and you can see 4 of them. In the other two screen shots, the pentas are oriented exactly the same, only they have tetra blocks sitting at the top of the troughs. So that penta orientation, in all three pictures, produces the graphics bug where you see a trough in the penta\'s face instead of a smooth plane like in the left side pentas in the first picture.