Bug Game Does Not Start ~ No loading at all

Reaction score
    Hello all,

Before I begin, I'm a C++ developer - so if the dev's come across this post, don't be afraid to get technical.

Since the latest update, I cannot start starmade. The launcher works as expected - however pressing start causes the Javaw runtime to load, then it closes before the starmade window opens.

The bug tracker doesn't appear to have an existing bug for this specific issue - and the only similar issue (the 100% loading bug) does not appear to be related.

I haven't filed a bug in the tracker as of yet, as I wanted to see if there was a known fix, like a funky configuration file - or a Java run-time issue.

I have noted at least one other user on the forum - syzygy - has this problem.

I'm running the latest version of Java, and have a Geforce GT 530 in this machine - I'll be trying again with my rig at home a little later.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Open cmd.exe and run these two commands:
    Code:
    cd \path\to\StarMade
    java -jar StarMade.jar -force
    That should give you an error, including a stacktrace.
    There is one relatively current issue that might, or might not, be related: http://bugs.star-made.org/issues/289
    It's stated Resolved, but that doesn't necessarily always mean it's fixed. :D

Reaction score
    Aye, I'm getting a drop close by (line 892) I'll assume the line difference is due to code differences else-ware.

Shall I stick this on the ticket?
    P.s. I'm also using a custom theme - seems that's the killer.

Can you not call the standard win32 functions for window generation?

Attachments

Reaction score
    Update - Dropping to windows classic allows me to launch the game ~ though it's a hack of a workaround.

Reaction score
    Shall I stick this on the ticket?
    No need, I just gave it back to schema. But if you want to, you can of course sign up for the tracker (it doesn't use your StarMade account) and provide future information yourself. Otherwise I will get back to you (because I don't know how to reach the other guy) if it's stated Resolved again. :)

Can you not call the standard win32 functions for window generation?
    It seems that Swing can't do that. Writing a custom Look&Feel is possible, but not making it recognize a custom OS theme.

Reaction score
    As a general suggestion ~ unless swing is managing your in game rendering (and that I doubt, OpenGL I'd imagine), there's no reason to use it to create and/or manage the game window. Thus also allowing you to free up the extra memory used by said library.
    I'll gladly throw some code / experience in to help if it's at all relevant - OpenGL applications are kind of my thing, even if my Java is a bit rusty :p

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The error is basically java-swing (not for the game window but the startup window) being unable to load some window components. In this case the so called "titled border". I already attempted to fix it revert to the Java look and feel when the system detects another theme, but apparently it doesn't detect it (the line in the logs LF ...WindowsLookAndFeel).

I'll look further into the issue

Reactions: Syzygy

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I added additional tests for the next version, including specifically testing for the element that causes the error, and reverting to cross-Platform Look And Feel (Java default) at failure.

Reactions: Syzygy