Fuel and Ammo

Reaction score
    Well here's a subject that's been discussed quite a bit but i am gonna throw my own spin into it.
    As we wont be changing current systems in this idea but adding on instead.
    Parts could be omitted if they seem too complex

Fuel Systems

Thrusters: New fuel based thrusters that feed from a fuel tank or tanks inside the ship. These thrusters are more efficient in large groups and more powerful than normal thrusters but easily damaged. These thrusters must have pipes also that go to a tank of coolant (multi-block structure that has a certain capacity for heat), and to these pipes or the coolant tank itself you must attach radiators the chill the coolant. Continuing to run fuel based thrusters on overheated coolant may cause breakdown or even explosion of the engines. Takes fuel that must be refined.

Reactors: More powerful energy generation than the current options but takes nuclear fuel that must be refined. Reactors also generate heat same as the fuel based thrusters and must be cooled using the same type of system the fuel thrusters use or risk a meltdown that will destroy blocks around it with a chance of a critical meltdown that causes an explosion based on the reactor size.

Ammo Systems

Projectile Based Cannons (PBC): Higher damage weapons than the AMC system that requires ammunition that must be produced in a factory and must be held in ammo crates (Explosive perhaps?) so they can be fed to the guns. The PBC cause recoil and has an adjustable caliber that determines the recoil, damage and fire rate. (Maybe an attachable block that only allows so many per gun before it stops increasing? Maybe something like a 16 inch gun max?)
    PBC's could be attached to Piercing, Punch-Through, EMP, and Explosive systems or have an inbuilt selector (Maybe an add-on block?)
    These weapons must be open to space (No covering the end of the barrel) and would serve best as either in a turret or in smaller more maneuverable ships such as corvettes and fighters allowing them to pack a decent punch perhaps.

Projectile Missiles: Slow to reload missiles that must be open to space but pack a big punch and also require lots of ammo to fire. These missiles have more health than the energy missiles (Maybe about 100-250?) and the firing port must be open to space. Failure to open the firing port to space will result in explosion inside the ship. Perhaps the whole missile system should be an explosive hazard.

Final Notes and Thoughts

I wrote this up because i want Starmade to be the best it can be so if i can offer ideas to help i am more than happy to. I feel a system like this could add more depth to Starmade without making the old systems obsolete. These systems would require refineries and stations to be set up for refueling and rearming making them not a good candidate for deep space exploration or long deployments. I also feel they may help smaller ships finally make an impact in the game again however slight. I do however think the aforementioned systems should be usable alongside the older systems such as a ship running on normal energy based thrusters then swapping to the fuel based ones for combat or as a boost to escape danger. I think the logistics and space taken up by the new systems wouldn't be very permitting on allowing TOO much hybridization except in the weapons department and even those have their own issues. The danger posed by having the new systems on board i feel may also be a deterrent towards over-use of them.

As a closing note i hope for civil and good feedback to this thread and hope to make Starmade even better than it is currently, i also thank you for your time reading this.

Good-day.

Reactions: rocketman221

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Seems to me like you described the weapon and engine system from the game "From the Depths".
    As far as I enjoy the complexity of those systems in FtD, I personally don't think that this mechanics should be implimented into SM.
    StarMade's complexity lies in other areas than creating complex multi-part systems

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well here's a subject that's been discussed quite a bit but i am gonna throw my own spin into it.
    As we wont be changing current systems in this idea but adding on instead.
    Parts could be omitted if they seem too complex

Fuel Systems

Thrusters: New fuel based thrusters that feed from a fuel tank or tanks inside the ship. These thrusters are more efficient in large groups and more powerful than normal thrusters but easily damaged. These thrusters must have pipes also that go to a tank of coolant (multi-block structure that has a certain capacity for heat), and to these pipes or the coolant tank itself you must attach radiators the chill the coolant. Continuing to run fuel based thrusters on overheated coolant may cause breakdown or even explosion of the engines. Takes fuel that must be refined.

Reactors: More powerful energy generation than the current options but takes nuclear fuel that must be refined. Reactors also generate heat same as the fuel based thrusters and must be cooled using the same type of system the fuel thrusters use or risk a meltdown that will destroy blocks around it with a chance of a critical meltdown that causes an explosion based on the reactor size.

Ammo Systems

Projectile Based Cannons (PBC): Higher damage weapons than the AMC system that requires ammunition that must be produced in a factory and must be held in ammo crates (Explosive perhaps?) so they can be fed to the guns. The PBC cause recoil and has an adjustable caliber that determines the recoil, damage and fire rate. (Maybe an attachable block that only allows so many per gun before it stops increasing? Maybe something like a 16 inch gun max?)
    PBC's could be attached to Piercing, Punch-Through, EMP, and Explosive systems or have an inbuilt selector (Maybe an add-on block?)
    These weapons must be open to space (No covering the end of the barrel) and would serve best as either in a turret or in smaller more maneuverable ships such as corvettes and fighters allowing them to pack a decent punch perhaps.

Projectile Missiles: Slow to reload missiles that must be open to space but pack a big punch and also require lots of ammo to fire. These missiles have more health than the energy missiles (Maybe about 100-250?) and the firing port must be open to space. Failure to open the firing port to space will result in explosion inside the ship. Perhaps the whole missile system should be an explosive hazard.

Final Notes and Thoughts

I wrote this up because i want Starmade to be the best it can be so if i can offer ideas to help i am more than happy to. I feel a system like this could add more depth to Starmade without making the old systems obsolete. These systems would require refineries and stations to be set up for refueling and rearming making them not a good candidate for deep space exploration or long deployments. I also feel they may help smaller ships finally make an impact in the game again however slight. I do however think the aforementioned systems should be usable alongside the older systems such as a ship running on normal energy based thrusters then swapping to the fuel based ones for combat or as a boost to escape danger. I think the logistics and space taken up by the new systems wouldn't be very permitting on allowing TOO much hybridization except in the weapons department and even those have their own issues. The danger posed by having the new systems on board i feel may also be a deterrent towards over-use of them.

As a closing note i hope for civil and good feedback to this thread and hope to make Starmade even better than it is currently, i also thank you for your time reading this.

Good-day.
    Ammo? Fuel? Get out of here you heretic D:<