FTL is here! It's a StarGate!

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Will there be any awesome effects in the centre of the warp gate and around the ship when it jump drives/hyperdrive?
    Around the ship there is, but we haven't seen any Warpgate animations. It would be nice if some sort of hook was added for modding at least, like the ship tunnel effect.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Around the ship there is, but we haven't seen any Warpgate animations. It would be nice if some sort of hook was added for modding at least, like the ship tunnel effect.
    I said awesome, not just the shield effect ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    The dev build can be accessed here: http://files.star-made.org/build/dev/
    For those having the 404 error, I really have no clue as to what causes it. I have access to 2 laptops and both get the error but my main comp does not.

Did anyone actually read this thread? http://starmadedock.net/threads/thrust-mechanics-explained.2696/
    Cal mentioned 3 types of FTL: warp gates, jump drives, and hyperdrives (which have yet to make any sort of appearance in the code). If you want to know more specifics for each, go read the thread

Just so everybody knows, here's the run-down on gates as of the Aug 25th build:

Range: unlimited (I assume due to an unimplemented cap), however in the thread I mentioned above it was stated it would be about 8 star systems (subject to change)
    Shape: ANY closed 2D loop, which could be concave and convex in different areas
    Linkage: it seems that stations link to stations (not computers to computers), so right clicking on any block with the marker beam (no texture, but you spawn with it) will set a target station and left clicking on a station sets the previously marked target as a destination for that station's gate. You'll have to do this twice to make a 2 way gate, but for simple tests you can actually set a gate as its own destination.
    Ship damage (from going through a gate system too small on the other side): not implemented as of yet, but mentioned in the thread
    Mechanics: when your CORE (player does not activate it) passes through a gate, you have a brief period before any acceleration starts, at which point you can stop or speed up, and any momentum you have when the boost hits will be kept when you come out the other side. Don't worry about colliding with anything when boosted as it appears you become non-physical or something of the sort

Because I find myself with a lack of people to test with, I have not tested if there is a hard cooldown or if it needs to recharge, and I have not tested any power mechanics (idk if they're even implemented), but there is definitely a cooldown

ANYTHING above is subject to change.

ps: inb4 working mass relay and giant replica of Stargate sg1 stargates
    jump drives on ships have 8 sector limit and stargates have a little over 100 sector limit

Reaction score
    Some thoughts :

-About ships jumping out of battles : an interesting nerf would be that jump drives only work for a ship currently flying at its maximum speed, forcing to a true escape manoeuver instead of pushing a button. Would also link power, thrust and jump drive designs into a coherent ensemble.

-About the size of the system : You can put a jumping system in your ship and carry its weigh all time long OR, as I'll do, build jumping modules of different charges (for your different sizes of ships) and buy one at a shop when you really need it, connect it, make your jump(s) and salvage the module back. Not that restrictive, is it?

-About warpgates : Well, you know... WARPGAAAAATES YEAAAAAAH!!!!

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Does anyone know what the Hyperdrive will do?
    Yes. Hyperdrive is a form of long range FTL travel for larger than usual ships. It's basically what would be defined as a warpdrive.
    But don't be mistaken, if jumpdrives (which can go only about 8 sectors far) already need 1/10th of their ship to be FTL equipment, I assume a hyperdrive would need both massive amounts of power and a huge portion of your ship to work.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I thought the OP stated 1/10... [confusion intensifies]
    Has changed.

But since full-RP ships still are likely to have 16.7% vitals (aka 5 hull/deko per vital) that might still be too much for some servers.

Giving hull 0.2 vital support and vitals require 1 would help RP ships on regular servers. ((Given 0.8 per vital would simply let the system run at 80% power))
    Basically everything that occupies space, mass and resources to do nothing :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If your worried about redesigning your ships to fit jump drive modules. Add jump drive pods to the outside of your ship if your out of room. In most Sci-fi settings that's where they are located anyway. Also assuming there is a mechanic to stop you from just jumping away from a fight then having them outside just uses it as extra HP buffer. As the game is alpha and balancing is ongoing you can expect to be redesigning things always.

My mobile base is so slow I plan on fitting FTL of some kind to just get around properly. Max speed was 67m/s before I added another 50% mass....

PS the guy who made that Halo ring please add a stargate into that when possible as a refit.....Now that would be worth the lag....