Read by Council Force Fields

Should force fields be added to Starmade?

• Hell yeah, that would be awesome!

Votes: 3 60.0%
    • Meh, idk...

Votes: 2 40.0%
    • lol no that's stupid.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Shields block pulse/beam
    Forcefield block cannon/missile

Could split the shielding up to make it harder to defend, may need to buff the numbers up a lil to compensate for the split

Reaction score
    have it visually the same except that it only absorbs damage from 2 types of weapons, so to be able to absorb energy based weapons like beams and pulses you will need the current shields, to absorb physical you will need forcefield, cannon/missile

Waterphoenix

-=[Mr Mell0w]=-
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    have it visually the same except that it only absorbs damage from 2 types of weapons, so to be able to absorb energy based weapons like beams and pulses you will need the current shields, to absorb physical you will need forcefield, cannon/missile
    I seeeee. I personally would prefer the forcefield to be resistant to all weapons, thus making fighters, bombers and warhead torpedoes more useful. But we're all entitled to our own opinion of course! C:

Last edited:
    Reactions: Shaker

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like the shield to have hardened sections.
    Maybe you could do that with ion-effect-affected docked entities.

If more gaps between relate to more efficient hardened sections (with any idea/suggestion) you have another balancing factor which is fun to play around with.

Waterphoenix

-=[Mr Mell0w]=-
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would like the shield to have hardened sections.
    Maybe you could do that with ion-effect-affected docked entities.

If more gaps between relate to more efficient hardened sections (with any idea/suggestion) you have another balancing factor which is fun to play around with.
    Are you talking about shields, or force fields? Because they are completely unrelated.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are you talking about shields, or force fields? Because they are completely unrelated.
    Basically the suggested force-fields are impenetrable and ultra-strong shields. This is related.

It adds an extra dimension in offence/defence and that is interesting. How to make it balanced, immersive and not hurting building styles is another question.

Waterphoenix

-=[Mr Mell0w]=-
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Basically the suggested force-fields are impenetrable and ultra-strong shields. This is related.

It adds an extra dimension in offence/defence and that is interesting. How to make it balanced, immersive and not hurting building styles is another question.
    No, I'd say that shields are an extention of armour, while force fields are an extention of the base's dimensions. Force fields have unlimited hitpoints and will not wear down like shields, but rely on a single emitter to work - wheras shields rely on shield emitters all over the ship, like hull.