Read by Council Force Docker

Reaction score
    The force docker would be a docking module for your ship that would allow you to dock to any surface. It would work like a rail docker and a damage beam. The beam would have a short range like the current docking beam but also do damage. It would damage a block until it is destroyed. The destroyed block would then be replaced with an "anchor" block. The forcedocker would then dock to this anchor.

Basically punch a hole in a ship and you can stick to it. This would allow docking anytime you can do block damage. Could also be used for planetary landing, assault boarding pods, and han soloing large ships.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That's actually a really interesting application and description of this idea. It's been described a lot before, but this is pretty cool.

Reaction score
    It is definitely an idea that has been kicked around for a bit. Recent discussion with a few people is actually what got the gears turning on this idea. This is the best way I can think how to do it.

Reaction score
    This was my idea for it.

Read by Council - Deployables, Boarding, and Entity Vehicles

I definitely think we need something like it in the game.
    It would be cool if you could attach entity to one another in a permanent fashion as well. That seemed to be the core idea of your post, but my idea is a little different as it replicates puncture based systems. The only problem that always comes up is collisions. Most ideas that involve direct contact aren't viable performance-wise. You could potentially use the system to "stab" one entity into the other.

I would like to see the ability to permanently attach and detach entities. That might be useful as a different block with a similar mechanic.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It would be cool if you could attach entity to one another in a permanent fashion as well. That seemed to be the core idea of your post, but my idea is a little different as it replicates puncture based systems. The only problem that always comes up is collisions. Most ideas that involve direct contact aren't viable performance-wise. You could potentially use the system to "stab" one entity into the other.

I would like to see the ability to permanently attach and detach entities. That might be useful as a different block with a similar mechanic.
    That's more or less what I was getting at as well. Collision is the hard thing.