Flight Physics

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But we can all agree that regardless if you want a true newtonian flightphysic or an augmented newtonian (aka flight assist) the current version of starmade's flight"physics" is shit, right?

I personally hate it so much that admin warping is my primary move option.

Reaction score
    But we can all agree that regardless if you want a true newtonian flightphysic or an augmented newtonian (aka flight assist) the current version of starmade's flight"physics" is shit, right?

I personally hate it so much that admin warping is my primary move option.
    Sorry, but no, we can not all agree.

From my perspective the current flight model does its job – certainly well enough that I wouldn't see any immediate need for change. There's always room for improvement, but simply and disrespectfully calling it "shit" doesn't help to motivate anyone. If you want to effect change, I suggest a more constructive approach.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sorry, but no, we can not all agree.

From my perspective the current flight model does its job – certainly well enough that I wouldn't see any immediate need for change. There's always room for improvement, but simply and disrespectfully calling it "shit" doesn't help to motivate anyone. If you want to effect change, I suggest a more constructive approach.
    I can agree with this.

In the 5+ years I've been playing StarMade, I've never had any problem controlling my ships and mobile command systems. While a little clumsy, (and under powered) the dampening system combined with the ability to manually stop your movement and/or rotation gets the job done. Could it be better? Sure. But its definitely serviceable. ...For now.

One thing that absolutely does need work is game controller/joystick configs.
    - Last time I used them, I couldn't get them to retain their configurations for very long; although this may have changed in the recent update(s).
    - The target cursor moves in addition to any joystick initiated movement. This throws your targeting off when maneuvering. Turret weapons are basically a requirement unless you want to pull your hair out.

Reaction score
    You’re missing the general point here. The Newtonian system is far simpler to program than atmospheric flight simulation. On top of that, being able to toggle in and out of two totally different systems would be too insane.
    -It was actually done by another game.

-Starmade doesn't need new lines of code to handle this. Tuning your thrust output to mostly forward and turning Inertial dampening on is good enough. Combined with vigorous use of the brakes and applying thrust in the opposite direction of my drift, I almost get the results I want. All it takes is a stronger inertial dampener, to make my ship lose momentum faster; As a natural result, drift will decrease, and the ship will fly - mostly - in the direction where thrust is applied currently.

-You don't have to be able to toggle it. Just be able to build both kind of ships.

Part of the gameplay that they are aiming for is building a ship that acts the way it is designed. If it doesn’t act they way you want(my ship), you have to redesign(as suggested).
    And yet they let you fly sideways with all your thrusters pointing backwards, and tune your engines mid flight.
    I wouldn't mind if engine output became dependant on block directions, but last I heard, they said they're not gonig to do it. I don't do twitter, so feel free to tell me if there's a new official statement on that matter.

Still, I specifically said inertial dampening could be made block dependant.
    AKA "MAKE THE SHIP ACT THE WAY IT WAS DESIGNED".

Last edited:
    Reactions: madman Captain