Flat planets are absolutely horrible. An idea on how to make them round. changed

Reaction score
    I\'m also for the oreo idea. And as for the gravity mechanic, why wouldn\'t the core of the planet be like ours? Deadly because you\'d be crushed with gravity and heat? Each core would have radius that would hurt/kill players like the stars, but not at the same scale of course. That would prevent digging too deep and making wierd gravity situations. And underground base is still possible, just don\'t dig to the planet\'s core!

As for the core being indestructible, I\'m mitigated with this. It could litteraly be the heart of the planet! You couldn\'\'t dig it, but you could shoot it and destroy the whole planet...given you have the firepower to do it! Also, as the planet entity object is destroyed/removed, you would get asteroids that are spawned from the destruction, moving away from the center of the explosion, slowly drifting away until they stop and anchor to their new place.

Anyway, just wanted to add my support for the oreo and throw some other ideas in the mix ;)

Reaction score
    Hmm. What if the core was much like the old shield mechanic, having high health and a very fast regen? Then, only weapons of very large caliber could acually cause an entire planet to explode (probably at least 100k DPS required, and that would take a little while). I also support harmful gravity at the center of a planet, that also damages hull (as gravity would for sure mess with the internal integrity of starships).

Also, more support for the oreo!

Reaction score
    They would need to rework a lot of things to make some of your ideas possible due to the game using character controls instead of rigid bodies what means the hit boxes cannont be roated or changed among another things.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Half spheres: +1 (if you want planetish looking surfaces. Frankess\' picture sums it up.).

Double sided gravity: -1 (I think it would be very confusing for first time players to understand a North vs South sided planet.)

One sided planets make sense. It\'s easy, it\'s understandible, and frankly I like the idea of NOT cloning minecraft. Personally I\'d make the planets\' diameter bigger so you can make the crust thicker. (It\'d be cool to have an under the crust star port ... but that\'s another thread)

If users want to whine about spherical planets or proper/simulated real-world \"physics\" I think they are missing the broader aesthetic: ship exploration and dynamics. Let Minecraft be minecraft. Think like Blizzard: DON\'T make orcs in space, but make a new game/experience.

Reaction score
    I acutally like all ideas here, oreo, round-bottom, cube... So why not more planet shapes? Everyone could choose and settle the one they like.

//e: or maybe give options to SP and MP config about planet shapes?

Reaction score
    How will the gravity work? If the flat side has correct gravity, the hemishphere wouldn\'t, and vice-versa.

As for falling off oreo-planets: I like this, you never get stuck on a planet forever that way.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    the flat planet surface with a round bottom that dosnt make you lag sounds good to me!

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I never said I wanted flat disks, but its also the most practical. I was reffering to the oreo idea that schema already said he preffered. He already is planning on implimenting it yet people still try and convince him of the cube world idea and other nonsense.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would be nice if planet surfaces were more like islands; I mean they are but, Like having some random terrain which flattens out in the edges. Would ad a nice fantasy feel to the worlds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the flat planets. Granted, I think they need more features, but Alpha is Alpha. I get kind of bored with ideas that stem from promoting \"realism\" in a game that is quite clearly not realistic. Starmade isn\'t a simulator, and I like the quirks that come with a cube world. The Oreo approach sounds fun, and it will be interesting to see worlds with back-to-back cities. I hope the addition of \"upside-down\" planets will also then allow for stations and such to have orriented gravity.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the flat design is unique enough, but the flat planet sides\\bottoms are just clumsy.. I have no problem with 1sided planets, but at least they should be something like an iceberg from far. This would give more room for building and minerals.
    When on foot, I would like to feel that I am small on a big planet. Maybe when you get close to the of the edge of the circle (border), the server should load the opposite side of the planet. This would give the feeling as the planet is infinite, and we wouldn\'t be able to fall off. You exit on one side, enter on the opposite side.

Reaction score
    imagine you are at the top leftmost position of that planet. Would the gravity be up, or left?
    Neither. It would be up-left. Then when you move away, gravity would adjust.

Reaction score
    Your analogy would work if Starcraft wouldn\'t be Warcraft (don\'t mistake with World of Warcraft, that\'s completely different thing!) in space with different look of units and few different names.

Reaction score
    *explains to nootau that he wants the planets to be shaped like skittles*

*trollerbobman says: NO NECROPOSTING! in the background*

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    First of all, TL;DR. Sorry.

Second of all, I have an idea. Why not have it so that a planet looks completely normal from the outside, but once you go \"in\" it, you recieve an atmospheric re-entry effect that also hides the loading world and then you see a normal flat surface that looks infinite? The flat surface is actually finite and when you travel the randomly generated length of the planet\'s surface in one direction, the game re-loads where you started. It would have a far-away fog like Minecraft\'s to limit the player\'s vision at a distance and not see the whole planet. For every 1 block down from the height of the randomly generated distance\'s level, the distance required to reach your original surroundings would be cut by 2 blocks. The planet would have a solid core, made of some indestructable material at the level that the distance that must be traveled is 0. (I personally don\'t like this solution to underground gravity issues, but I can not think of a better one besides a ridicoulous camera flip that would make some players barf when you reach the other side of the gravitational \"center\".) Probably would take a lot of coding... :P

Here is a really ugly example. The black represents underground, and the white gaps in the corner repressent the distances not required to travel to go \"around the world\" underground.

EDIT: Picture is not to scale. Only simulates a shrunken version of a planet.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is the main part of my suggestion (Including that atmosphere adjustment. You should only see the outer atmosphere until you\'re actually inside the planet sphere.). Nice, round bottoms for the win... Nobody likes a flat bottom!