Fix the bugs (With poll)

Should Schine prioritize new features or fix the current ones?

• Total voters

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    (This thread is posted on behalf of crazyf22raptor . I have not edited his original text beyond spellings)

Okay so everybody now must know that the Schine team has added some cool stuff into StarMade like the shipyards, NPC factions and this new power idea. But there are a lot of bugs in the game right now and it’s starting to get out of hand. Recently we’ve been having trouble with crippling bugs and errors like NullPointer errors at random times while playing which has persisted across several updates (making it damn near unplayable on any respectable server), shipyards not working properly, dealing damage to another ship with cannons killing FPS (completely in some cases), block placement lag in buildmode... and there are many other weird and wacky glitches and crashes we have had in the game while doing day to day gaming on StarMade, not to mention the slow downward spiral of FPS each update that’s locking out many players who have supported the game for years from playing anymore. Now this has been building up for a while now and it’s getting out of hand, and with the upcoming updates that have been planned I fear StarMade might be in a bit of trouble for people wanting to play, if their game crashes every 20 mins or so and/or has unbearably low FPS.

So I propose a solution that will take time and will require a lot of help from the community and upcoming Council but will pay off in terms of playability. The Schine team comb through the game to find all known bugs and attempt to fix them. It will obviously take time and the Schine team will need to know all the bugs there are or you have had so they can fix them, but it will pay off and allow StarMade to progress with bigger and better updates without having a huge backlog of bugs that have been forgotten and then never fixed.

I'll give an example for why this needs to be done. In my faction 2 of my members are unable to actually play the game anymore due to the amount of bugs in the game and the drastic decreases in their FPS which has crippled their ability to do anything. If this is not attended to soon more and more people are going to not be able to play StarMade at all. Myself included is having a great deal of trouble getting anything done on the game anymore.

All I’m asking is for Schine to pay attention to this and fix the major bugs in the game. Feel free to add annoying, persistent bugs you have encountered.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    So your entire suggestion is "Schine, pls fix bugs" without adding anything new? Isn't this what the community has been going on about for ages?

And lets be brutally honest here, the game may still be unstable, with some features that really shouldn't be broken, like shipyards, but it's in a much better state stability wise than it was.

Do we need bug fixes? Hell yes, we always will

Is this suggestion 100% pointless? Yep.

Sorry Jake :(

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So your entire suggestion is "Schine, pls fix bugs" without adding anything new? Isn't this what the community has been going on about for ages?

And lets be brutally honest here, the game may still be unstable, with some features that really shouldn't be broken, like shipyards, but it's in a much better state stability wise than it was.

This suggestion couldn't have come at a better time. And it's hardly pointless.

With an entirely new power system on the horizon, this means that core fundamentals of the game will be radically changed. Now is the perfect time to make sure all current features are in a properly optimised and stable state before this drastic rework. Not only will it improve current experience but it will also improve the future state of the game as well.

therimmer96

Reaction score

With an entirely new power system on the horizon, this means that core fundamentals of the game will be radically changed. Now is the perfect time to make sure all current features are in a properly optimised and stable state before this drastic rework. Not only will it improve current experience but it will also improve the future state of the game as well.
    My point is that do you not think schine already knows? We've been screaming for more bug fixes since day one. This is just another thread in the pile of endless comments about the state of the game.

They know the game is a buggy mess.

The thread may aswell point out the sky is blue :/

Reaction score

i would not say that its a usless idea its more to get some of the bigger problems out of the way so they can co

Im going to support Jake on this it is needed and if left unattended it will only get worse. its better to get the current game working before they experiment with it again. Its not that the game needs to be perfect and i understand that the game is still a alpha but its good to also have a mostly working game before adding new things in.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    This is just how schine does shit. They'll throw out a load of crap that breaks everything for months, then spend awhile doing bug fix updates.

Yes, shit is broke, but taking time away from finishing the game to polish things that may be planned for replacement is pointless. They may not be fixing shipyards because they want to redo them, we can't know until they RELEASE THE FUCKING ROADMAP

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    This is just how schine does shit. They'll throw out a load of crap that breaks everything for months, then spend awhile doing bug fix updates. Yes, shit is broke, but taking time away from finishing the game to polish things that may be planned for replacement is pointless. They may not be fixing shipyards because they want to redo them, we can't know until they RELEASE THE FUCKING ROADMAP
    wow chill, it might just be worth fixing some of the major bugs in some of the recent updates that are affecting the player specifically i'm not to worried if they leave the in game problems alone. What I mean is the null pointers crashing and the block placement lag as well as the crazy lag from shooting a cannon at a ship when its shields are down.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    RELEASE THE FUCKING ROADMAP
    I can't really play SM since many months now (using old versions only) because of low FPS.
    And with the new versions I can't play at all because blocks are invisible since some lightening update.

Currently, I am playing with the version after display block regex came out - it has low FPS, but I really need that to build computes smaller than last centurie's computers.​

Reaction score
    I can't really play SM since many months now (using old versions only) because of low FPS.
    And with the new versions I can't play at all because blocks are invisible since some lightening update.

Currently, I am playing with the version after display block regex came out - it has low FPS, but I really need that to build computes smaller than last centurie's computers.​
    therimmer96 this is why, people are stuck in older versions because of problems like this, its better to fix some of the problems so everyone can get a chance to see the new stuff rather than leave people behind in older updates or even not being able to play at all.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Yes, shit like that needs reporting and fixing ASAP. But making threads saying schine should spend time fixing "all known bugs" is stupid. It's just a matter of prioritising time efficiently, otherwise they're just gonna fix something, and then remove the feature.

Neon, have you actually reported it properly? I've never had an issue like that that wasn't fixed quickly without a message to the devs explaining what was wrong and providing all required logs and shit.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think I wrote in the Bug Forum and a Bug report on the support site. I have no login to Phabricator or whatever the testers use now since it changed.
    I also wrote the information in the Crash reporter and waiting a few months for a fix got me a bit exhausted to keep myself updated.

It's a bit difficult to find the link now and btw I am not @-Neon ;)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Can confirm game is getting increasingly more broken. The work I did yesterday was surprisingly more troublesome than it should have been.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    (This thread is posted on behalf of crazyf22raptor . I have not edited his original text beyond spellings)

Okay so everybody now must know that the Schine team has added some cool stuff into StarMade like the shipyards, NPC factions and this new power idea. But there are a lot of bugs in the game right now and it’s starting to get out of hand. Recently we’ve been having trouble with crippling bugs and errors like NullPointer errors at random times while playing which has persisted across several updates (making it damn near unplayable on any respectable server), shipyards not working properly, dealing damage to another ship with cannons killing FPS (completely in some cases), block placement lag in buildmode... and there are many other weird and wacky glitches and crashes we have had in the game while doing day to day gaming on StarMade, not to mention the slow downward spiral of FPS each update that’s locking out many players who have supported the game for years from playing anymore. Now this has been building up for a while now and it’s getting out of hand, and with the upcoming updates that have been planned I fear StarMade might be in a bit of trouble for people wanting to play, if their game crashes every 20 mins or so and/or has unbearably low FPS.

So I propose a solution that will take time and will require a lot of help from the community and upcoming Council but will pay off in terms of playability. The Schine team comb through the game to find all known bugs and attempt to fix them. It will obviously take time and the Schine team will need to know all the bugs there are or you have had so they can fix them, but it will pay off and allow StarMade to progress with bigger and better updates without having a huge backlog of bugs that have been forgotten and then never fixed.

I'll give an example for why this needs to be done. In my faction 2 of my members are unable to actually play the game anymore due to the amount of bugs in the game and the drastic decreases in their FPS which has crippled their ability to do anything. If this is not attended to soon more and more people are going to not be able to play StarMade at all. Myself included is having a great deal of trouble getting anything done on the game anymore.

All I’m asking is for Schine to pay attention to this and fix the major bugs in the game. Feel free to add annoying, persistent bugs you have encountered.
    So, you've got a Phabricator account, right?

Just asking, cause, ya know, this whole thread...

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So, you've got a Phabricator account, right?

Just asking, cause, ya know, this whole thread...
    They might be on Phab but does that mean they're working on fixing them? Apparently not. The Nullpointer bug example has persisted across multiple updates anyway despite many reports from me and other disehchanted individuals, and also despite a supposed 'fix' that has actually done nothing to remedy the problem. The weapon penetration lag has existed since the weapon update with no apparent fix in sight. The build mode lag has also been reportedly 'fixed' but continues to persist. Not to mention the many others that have been reported over the years and have had no progress on a fix. The shipyard bugs aren't exactly gamebreaking though and I now agree they can be pushed back a little. But when a concept so fundamental as building a (small 30-40k blocks!) ship in build mode causes immense FPS lag you start to get worried about the state of the game as a whole.

This might be an awkward analogy but you don't try to build a ...er building on a wobbly foundation. You stabilise it then begin work on the features of that building. If Schine keeps building features onto the already destabilised base of the game it will eventually fall and crumble into a mess of lag and broken features that might be impossible to recover from.

I'm pretty tired so that's all for today.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    As odd as it is to say it, I'm with Jake on this one.

Most people know I don't play SM much anymore, but the last time I did I exhausted myself making a PD turret due to retardation that is the ghost linking. Its everything from tiring to gamebreaking and requires alertness to circumnavigate.

Hell, my hanger door even just upped and stopped working. I know rails can shit themselves, but when you want to add in a few rail-heavy-ish features its very disheartening.

I just cant seem to be able to play when half of the "implemented" features aren't available for use half the time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just a heads up, there is no one single "null pointer bug".
    It can be caused by bad graphics calls, bad segments, bad regex, bad weapon links, bad logic links, malformed logic, and many other reasons. It's just feedback saying "this shit broke"

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The best way to help, is start a thread on the support channel or create a bug report. The better the bug report the faster we can repro and faster schine can confirm and fix. Threads complaining about bugs themselves aren't useful by themselves. Rough steps to reproduce and logs are amazing. I have yet to see a null pointer glinvalid error go unfixed for long with those.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Like 1-10 consistently while literally anythings happening?
    Join the club, x2 for graphical glitches constantly.

Oh Jake said:
    go to beta
    it aint done yet you put that right back!